Last minute change: Object>>is:

Andreas.Raab
Folks -

I've been thinking about this for a while now and it seems to me that
there's little harm done if we implement Object>>is: to just return
false at this point. This doesn't say anything about whether we should
use it or how we should use it but it seems to me that it would be a
useful compatibility method to have, just in case someone wants to use
it in an external package.

Any strong opposition to that change?

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Last minute change: Object>>is:

Igor Stasenko
On 7 April 2010 19:38, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Folks -
>
> I've been thinking about this for a while now and it seems to me that
> there's little harm done if we implement Object>>is: to just return false at
> this point. This doesn't say anything about whether we should use it or how
> we should use it but it seems to me that it would be a useful compatibility
> method to have, just in case someone wants to use it in an external package.
>
> Any strong opposition to that change?

Not me :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Last minute change: Object>>is:

Colin Putney

On 2010-04-07, at 9:38 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Folks -
>
> I've been thinking about this for a while now and it seems to me that there's little harm done if we implement Object>>is: to just return false at this point. This doesn't say anything about whether we should use it or how we should use it but it seems to me that it would be a useful compatibility method to have, just in case someone wants to use it in an external package.
>
> Any strong opposition to that change?

Yes. I think #is: is a bad idea all around, and we shouldn't be encouraging it.

Colin

On 4/8/2010 9:22 PM, Colin Putney wrote:

> On 2010-04-07, at 9:38 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>> Folks -
>>
>> I've been thinking about this for a while now and it seems to me that there's little harm done if we implement Object>>is: to just return false at this point. This doesn't say anything about whether we should use it or how we should use it but it seems to me that it would be a useful compatibility method to have, just in case someone wants to use it in an external package.
>>
>> Any strong opposition to that change?
>
> Yes. I think #is: is a bad idea all around, and we shouldn't be encouraging it.

Even if used purely as a measure of compatibility?
What I was thinking about was an implementation that just said:

Object>>is: aSymbol
        "For compatibility only"
        ^false

Cheers,
   - Andreas

On 2010-04-09, at 4:05 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> On 4/8/2010 9:22 PM, Colin Putney wrote:
>>
>> On 2010-04-07, at 9:38 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:
>>
>>> Folks -
>>>
>>> I've been thinking about this for a while now and it seems to me that there's little harm done if we implement Object>>is: to just return false at this point. This doesn't say anything about whether we should use it or how we should use it but it seems to me that it would be a useful compatibility method to have, just in case someone wants to use it in an external package.
>>>
>>> Any strong opposition to that change?
>>
>> Yes. I think #is: is a bad idea all around, and we shouldn't be encouraging it.
>
> Even if used purely as a measure of compatibility?
> What I was thinking about was an implementation that just said:
>
> Object>>is: aSymbol
> "For compatibility only"
> ^false

Well, compatibility is good, so I'd be less opposed to a single "strictly for compatibility" method. But is there really a need for this? Are there packages that rely in this? If there aren't, why invite them to do so?

Colin

On 4/9/2010 9:58 PM, Colin Putney wrote:

> Well, compatibility is good, so I'd be less opposed to a single "strictly for compatibility" method. But is there really a need for this? Are there packages that rely in this? If there aren't, why invite them to do so?

Fair enough. I was thinking the issue would be less controversial. We'll
leave it for now and see what happens.

Cheers,
   - Andreas