Lastest Pier

Martial Boniou
Hi,

I tried to play with the lastest Pier and I found it great to add the
formattings. I even uploaded my kernel (via ReferenceStream) and it runs
well. My specific classes just needed to be upgraded to replace
WARendererHtmlRoot to WAHtmlRoot and use #nextPutAll: in my hack of
MyWARender>>#writeOnLoadOn: (actually I added a #onResizeScripts for my
session). Quite easy! but I would like to have some enlightenments about
this actual version of Pier:

1) Pier-blog doesn't work. What's the actual state of it?
2) I explore my new kernel and I can see the new PRVisitor I added in my
content (like PRItalicFormat for example) and I thought: What if there
is no well-suited visitors ? Could there be a way to downgrade a pier
application ? For example, I got the pier-r2d2 version and a friend of
me has the old pier-r2d1 version: I would be glad to send my kernel to
him but he doesn't have the special PRC3POVisitor I added. It could be
cool to "parse" a unknown PRVisitor heir as a new class PRUnknownVisitor
so that the mutilated pier kernel could work (the PRUnkownVisitor thing
could even remember the original tag if the pier classes finally are
updated to r2d2). This is just a suggestion. This idea could be great as
(I hope) the number of pier webmasters should grow in the future and
everyone could be able to add its own specific text formatters.
3) I think I read about some classes/projects to manage multiple
PRStructure (I often hack my environment to add my special +newclass+).
Is there any work about it?

Thanks,

--
Martial

Re: Lastest Pier

Lukas Renggli-2
> I tried to play with the lastest Pier and I found it great to add the
> formattings. I even uploaded my kernel (via ReferenceStream) and it
> runs
> well. My specific classes just needed to be upgraded to replace
> WARendererHtmlRoot to WAHtmlRoot and use #nextPutAll: in my hack of
> MyWARender>>#writeOnLoadOn: (actually I added a #onResizeScripts
> for my
> session). Quite easy! but I would like to have some enlightenments
> about
> this actual version of Pier:
>
> 1) Pier-blog doesn't work. What's the actual state of it?

It works (at least on my web site and in my development image), you
just have to use the right versions of Seaside and RSRSS:

Magritte-All-lr.211 (the latest)
Pier-All-lr.189 (the latest)
        Pier-Blog-lr.50
Seaside2.8a1-lr.218 (not quite the latest, as the latest is buggy)
RSRSS-pmm.26 (not quite the latest, as the latest only works with the
buggy seaside)

> 2) I explore my new kernel and I can see the new PRVisitor I added
> in my
> content (like PRItalicFormat for example) and I thought: What if there
> is no well-suited visitors ? Could there be a way to downgrade a pier
> application ? For example, I got the pier-r2d2 version and a friend of
> me has the old pier-r2d1 version: I would be glad to send my kernel to
> him but he doesn't have the special PRC3POVisitor I added. It could be
> cool to "parse" a unknown PRVisitor heir as a new class
> PRUnknownVisitor
> so that the mutilated pier kernel could work (the PRUnkownVisitor
> thing
> could even remember the original tag if the pier classes finally are
> updated to r2d2). This is just a suggestion. This idea could be
> great as
> (I hope) the number of pier webmasters should grow in the future and
> everyone could be able to add its own specific text formatters.

I don't really get what you mean, sorry. If you convert the tree to a
string and parse it with the old/new parser you get a new ast without
loosing any information. This works both ways round. You could change
the way documents are serialized, not as a tree but as a string.

> 3) I think I read about some classes/projects to manage multiple
> PRStructure (I often hack my environment to add my special +newclass
> +).
> Is there any work about it?

Again I have some problems to understand. You can add your
environment templates to the class side of PRChangeEnvironment into
an (extension) cathegory ending on #environment (a hack to keep
people that use images without pragmas) and Pier will allow you to
choose from one.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Lastest Pier

Martial Boniou
On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 19:19 +0200, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> > I tried to play with the lastest Pier and I found it great to add the
> > formattings. I even uploaded my kernel (via ReferenceStream) and it
> > runs
> > well. My specific classes just needed to be upgraded to replace
> > WARendererHtmlRoot to WAHtmlRoot and use #nextPutAll: in my hack of
> > MyWARender>>#writeOnLoadOn: (actually I added a #onResizeScripts
> > for my
> > session). Quite easy! but I would like to have some enlightenments
> > about
> > this actual version of Pier:
> >
> > 1) Pier-blog doesn't work. What's the actual state of it?
>
> It works (at least on my web site and in my development image), you
> just have to use the right versions of Seaside and RSRSS:
>
> Magritte-All-lr.211 (the latest)
> Pier-All-lr.189 (the latest)
> Pier-Blog-lr.50
> Seaside2.8a1-lr.218 (not quite the latest, as the latest is buggy)
> RSRSS-pmm.26 (not quite the latest, as the latest only works with the
> buggy seaside

That's probably a Seaside problem. I will load a previous release.

> > 2) I explore my new kernel and I can see the new PRVisitor I added
> > in my
> > content (like PRItalicFormat for example) and I thought: What if there
> > is no well-suited visitors ? Could there be a way to downgrade a pier
> > application ? For example, I got the pier-r2d2 version and a friend of
> > me has the old pier-r2d1 version: I would be glad to send my kernel to
> > him but he doesn't have the special PRC3POVisitor I added. It could be
> > cool to "parse" a unknown PRVisitor heir as a new class
> > PRUnknownVisitor
> > so that the mutilated pier kernel could work (the PRUnkownVisitor
> > thing
> > could even remember the original tag if the pier classes finally are
> > updated to r2d2). This is just a suggestion. This idea could be
> > great as
> > (I hope) the number of pier webmasters should grow in the future and
> > everyone could be able to add its own specific text formatters.
>
> I don't really get what you mean, sorry. If you convert the tree to a
> string and parse it with the old/new parser you get a new ast without
> loosing any information. This works both ways round. You could change
> the way documents are serialized, not as a tree but as a string.

Ok! thanks! I didn't get that. Actually I wasn't clear because I confuse
Visitor and PRDocumentItem. So I am glad it works.

> > 3) I think I read about some classes/projects to manage multiple
> > PRStructure (I often hack my environment to add my special +newclass
> > +).
> > Is there any work about it?
>
> Again I have some problems to understand. You can add your
> environment templates to the class side of PRChangeEnvironment into
> an (extension) cathegory ending on #environment (a hack to keep
> people that use images without pragmas) and Pier will allow you to
> choose from one.

I didn't know that. Thanks again!

--
Martial

Re: Lastest Pier

Martial Boniou
Finally that was something else. I load my image directories from my mac
to my linux laptop thru webdav and I corrupt my SqueakV39.source file.
So my installation were good (the lastest pier/magritte with RSRSS2 and
the Seaside-lr-238 seems to work); the pier blog and other things didn't
work well or at all because the sources of collections-sequenceables
category weren't there... the next time I'll zip with md5sum.

Lukas, thanks for the two last posts on your blog I saw this morning,
that's exactly what I (and all wikiers) need.

--
Martial

On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 19:53 +0200, Martial Boniou wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 19:19 +0200, Lukas Renggli wrote:
> > > I tried to play with the lastest Pier and I found it great to add the
> > > formattings. I even uploaded my kernel (via ReferenceStream) and it
> > > runs
> > > well. My specific classes just needed to be upgraded to replace
> > > WARendererHtmlRoot to WAHtmlRoot and use #nextPutAll: in my hack of
> > > MyWARender>>#writeOnLoadOn: (actually I added a #onResizeScripts
> > > for my
> > > session). Quite easy! but I would like to have some enlightenments
> > > about
> > > this actual version of Pier:
> > >
> > > 1) Pier-blog doesn't work. What's the actual state of it?
> >
> > It works (at least on my web site and in my development image), you
> > just have to use the right versions of Seaside and RSRSS:
> >
> > Magritte-All-lr.211 (the latest)
> > Pier-All-lr.189 (the latest)
> > Pier-Blog-lr.50
> > Seaside2.8a1-lr.218 (not quite the latest, as the latest is buggy)
> > RSRSS-pmm.26 (not quite the latest, as the latest only works with the
> > buggy seaside

> > Cheers,
> > Lukas
> >

> --
> Martial

Re: Lastest Pier

Philippe Marschall
RSRSS2 is only for Seaside 2.8 as mentioned at:
http://www.squeaksource.com/rsrss.html
RSRSS2 needs the very latest version of Pier-Blog and vice versa.

Philippe