classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Latest Amber infrastructure changes

Manfred Kröhnert
HI everyone,

this is a small update about the latest changes in the Amber 'infrastructure' before I will go 'underground' for the next 1 - 1.5 weeks :-)

1. AmberCli tool:

Amber server and Amber repl have been merged into the AmberCli tool.
The sourcecode is located in the 'cli' directory accompanied by an index.html file for easier development.
The scripts ./bin/server and ./bin/amber now use this tool behind the scenes but will later on be replaced by a single commandline tool.

This tool will simply be nambed 'amber' and will have several subcommands like:
* 'serve' to start the server
* 'repl' to start the Repl
* 'help' to print the list of available commands

2. Amber Commandline Compiler:

* The Amber Commandline Compiler 'amberc' now handles input files differently.
Previously the compiler ignored the location of the input file and produced the output in the current working directory.
The new behavior puts the output directly next to the input file.
Additionally, an output directory can be specified with the '-D' flag.
This directory will be used as an output location for compiled files and overwrites the previously described behavior.
All changes are of course also available in the Grunt.js build system.

* Passing optimization flags now also imply compiling files in release mode.

* Release files are now used in release mode to compile 'executables' (previously debug files were used).

That's it for now.

Plans for the near future include:

* povide a separate grunt-amber-compiler plugin so external projects can be built using the commandline compiler (e.g. Amber-Examples)
* finishe grunt-init-amber pluging to allow using Grunt.js to initialize a simple Amber skeleton
* split AmberCli into a separate npm package

See you all in about two weeks.

Best,
Manfred

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "amber-lang" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Latest Amber infrastructure changes

Herby Vojčík

Manfred Kröhnert wrote:
> Plans for the near future include:
>
> * povide a separate grunt-amber-compiler plugin so external projects can
> be built using the commandline compiler (e.g. Amber-Examples)

Is it needed to have a plugin? Is it not enough to have dependency on
amber if one wants to invoke a compiler?

> * finishe grunt-init-amber pluging to allow using Grunt.js to initialize
> a simple Amber skeleton

I thought `amber` cli tool itself will do the initialization, as `amber
create`, for example.

> * split AmberCli into a separate npm package
>
> See you all in about two weeks.
>
> Best,
> Manfred

Herby

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "amber-lang" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].

Reply | Threaded
|

Dave Mason-3
Is the command-line compiler a guaranteed-to-work component of Amber going forward?  I use a version-control/source-code-management system with multiple people working on the code.  Keeping the JS code in the repository is a nightmare, (especially when amber changes the compiled output - I had 500+ diffs yesterday so I just ignored one of the commits).

I really want to take the JS code out of the repository and auto-compile when I pull in a new version, but I had some problems with the command line compiler in the past and don't want to be left high and dry

Thanks for all your work on Amber.  It's making our project far more doable (currently at 56 classes, 398 methods, 1940 non-blank lines (excluding tests)).

../Dave

--

Reply | Threaded
|

Nicolas Petton

On May 10, 2013, at 3:37 PM, Dave Mason <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is the command-line compiler a guaranteed-to-work component of Amber going forward?

It will be maintained, yes.

>  I use a version-control/source-code-management system with multiple people working on the code.  Keeping the JS code in the repository is a nightmare, (especially when amber changes the compiled output - I had 500+ diffs yesterday so I just ignored one of the commits).
>
> I really want to take the JS code out of the repository and auto-compile when I pull in a new version, but I had some problems with the command line compiler in the past and don't want to be left high and dry

Indeed, I understand your point. I also do the same and avoid keeping the JS files in my repositories. If you had issues with the command line compiler, you must have used the development version of Amber, right ;)

>
> Thanks for all your work on Amber.  It's making our project far more doable (currently at 56 classes, 398 methods, 1940 non-blank lines (excluding tests)).

Nice! Can I ask you what your project is about? It's always interesting to see how people use Amber :)

Cheers,
Nico

--

Reply | Threaded
|

Dave Mason-3
On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 11:41 AM, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:

On May 10, 2013, at 3:37 PM, Dave Mason <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is the command-line compiler a guaranteed-to-work component of Amber going forward?

It will be maintained, yes.

That's great to hear!

Indeed, I understand your point. I also do the same and avoid keeping the JS files in my repositories. If you had issues with the command line compiler, you must have used the development version of Amber, right ;)

I started early with Amber, so yes, I may have used the development version. 

Nice! Can I ask you what your project is about? It's always interesting to see how people use Amber :)

The project is http://programmingfortherestofus.com/  The environment is not quite ready for public poking , but you can see the manifesto there.

../Dave

--

Reply | Threaded
|

Manfred Kröhnert
In reply to this post by Herby Vojčík
Hello Herby,

sorry for answering so late.

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 11:08 AM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

Manfred Kröhnert wrote:
Plans for the near future include:

* povide a separate grunt-amber-compiler plugin so external projects can
be built using the commandline compiler (e.g. Amber-Examples)

Is it needed to have a plugin? Is it not enough to have dependency on amber if one wants to invoke a compiler?

A grunt-task is definitely needed (and available in the main Amber repo) to be able to build Amber projects with Grunt.js.
Now, it is debatable if it should be published as a separate plugin or just get bundled with Amber.
At least it would play nicer with Grunt if a plugin would be available.

* finishe grunt-init-amber pluging to allow using Grunt.js to initialize
a simple Amber skeleton

I thought `amber` cli tool itself will do the initialization, as `amber create`, for example.

Here, my idea ist to reuse the available Grunt.js functionality from the Amber cli tool.
But I have to see if it is actually possible.

* split AmberCli into a separate npm package

See you all in about two weeks.

Best,
Manfred

Herby

Best,
Manfred 

--