Latest Debian, Ubuntu and CentOS packages of the pharo-vm

Latest Debian, Ubuntu and CentOS packages of the pharo-vm

Holger Freyther
Hi,

when running Pharo in production you might want to install the image and a VM from distribution packages. So far there were no current public packages and during the last months I have modernized the debian packaging and recently added CentOS rpm packaging as well. The process of generating new source packages is integrated into the pharo-vm travis-ci build as well.

Every time that master of pharo-vm.git is updated a new source package will be uploaded to the Open(SUSE) Build Service and new packages will be built and are available in a "latest" package feed. The generated (and used) sourcecode is inside the source package and will be archived by the OBS platform (one can even nicely diff versions). The "stable" VM is not built from pharo-vm.git (yet?) so it doesn't show on OBS yet.

Below are some semi-tested installation notes in case you want to try it out. The binary names are picked to allow to install the 32bit and 64bit VM in parallel. The names currently are:

        - pharo6-32 (32bit version)
        - pharo6-64 (64bit version)
        - pharo6-32-ui (32bit version with X11 dependencies)
        - pharo6-64-ui (64bit version with X11 dependencies)

CentOS 6.8:

# Add the repo
$ yum-config-manager --add-repo http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/latest/CentOS_6/devel:languages:pharo:latest.repo

# Install 32bit packages (with X11 dependency for *-ui or not)

$ yum install pharo6-32-ui.i686 or pharo6-32.i386

# Install 64bit packages

$ yum install pharo6-64-ui.x86_64 pharo6-64.x86_64

CentOS 7 (only 64bit):

$ yum-config-manager --add-repo http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/latest/CentOS_7/devel:languages:pharo:latest.repo
$ yum install pharo6-64-ui.x86_64 pharo6-64.x86_64

Debian 8:

# Add signing key
$ wget -O - http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/latest/Debian_8.0/Release.key | apt-key add -

# Update and install
$ apt update
$ apt install pharo6-32-ui pharo6-64-ui    (or pharo6-32 or pharo6-64)

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

# Add signing key
$ wget -O - http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/latest/xUbuntu_14.04/Release.key | apt-key add -

# Update and install
$ apt update
$ apt install pharo6-32-ui pharo6-64-ui

Ubuntu 16.04

# Add signing key
$ wget -O - http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/latest/xUbuntu_16.04/Release.key | apt-key add -

# Update and install
$ apt update
$ apt install pharo6-32-ui pharo6-64-ui

Re: Latest Debian, Ubuntu and CentOS packages of the pharo-vm

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Holger Freyther wrote
Every time that master of pharo-vm.git is updated a new source package will be uploaded to the Open(SUSE) Build Service and new packages will be built and are available in a "latest" package feed.
Awesome!! Esteban and I have wanted this for a long time but were unable to devote the time to figure out how to get it working. Out of curiosity, where can I see how it was set up/configured? There is a "Project Config" tab which seems to be empty...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Latest Debian, Ubuntu and CentOS packages of the pharo-vm

Stephane Ducasse-3
Tx Holger!!!!
Really tx.

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 11:54 AM, Holger Freyther <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> # Update and install
> $ apt update
> $ apt install pharo6-32-ui pharo6-64-ui    (or pharo6-32 or pharo6-64)
>
> Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
>
> # Add signing key
> $ wget -O - http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/latest/xUbuntu_14.04/Release.key | apt-key add -
>
> # Update and install
> $ apt update
> $ apt install pharo6-32-ui pharo6-64-ui
>
> Ubuntu 16.04
>
> # Add signing key
> $ wget -O - http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/latest/xUbuntu_16.04/Release.key | apt-key add -
>
> # Update and install
> $ apt update
> $ apt install pharo6-32-ui pharo6-64-ui

Re: Latest Debian, Ubuntu and CentOS packages of the pharo-vm

NorbertHartl
For the .deb based distributions the adding of the repo is missing. This would be for

Ubuntu 16.04

echo "deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/latest/xUbuntu_16.04/ ./" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pharo.list

Ubuntu 14.04

echo "deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/latest/xUbuntu_14.04/ ./" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pharo.list

Debian 8

Ubuntu 16.04

echo "deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/latest/Debian_8.0/ ./" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pharo.list

As nobody noticed I'm not sure if this is really needed ;)

Feedback is highly appreciated!

Norbert

> [...]
>
> # Update and install
> $ apt update
> $ apt install pharo6-32-ui pharo6-64-ui    (or pharo6-32 or pharo6-64)
>
> Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
>
> # Add signing key
> $ wget -O - http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/latest/xUbuntu_14.04/Release.key | apt-key add -
>
> # Update and install
> $ apt update
> $ apt install pharo6-32-ui pharo6-64-ui
>
> Ubuntu 16.04
>
> # Add signing key
> $ wget -O - http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/latest/xUbuntu_16.04/Release.key | apt-key add -
>
> # Update and install
> $ apt update
> $ apt install pharo6-32-ui pharo6-64-ui

Re: Latest Debian, Ubuntu and CentOS packages of the pharo-vm

Tx norbert I updated the blog post on pharoweekly.

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 11:18 AM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> $ apt install pharo6-32-ui pharo6-64-ui    (or pharo6-32 or pharo6-64)
>>
>> Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
>>
>> # Add signing key
>> $ wget -O - http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/latest/xUbuntu_14.04/Release.key | apt-key add -
>>
>> # Update and install
>> $ apt update
>> $ apt install pharo6-32-ui pharo6-64-ui
>>
>> Ubuntu 16.04
>>
>> # Add signing key
>> $ wget -O - http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/latest/xUbuntu_16.04/Release.key | apt-key add -
>>
>> # Update and install
>> $ apt update
>> $ apt install pharo6-32-ui pharo6-64-ui

Re: Latest Debian, Ubuntu and CentOS packages of the pharo-vm

Holger Freyther

> On 20. Aug 2017, at 03:02, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey!

> Tx Holger!!!!
> Really tx.

appreciated but without Damien's initial Debian packaging, Estebans review, Norbert's drive to fix this for good and financial incentive by 2denker GmbH we wouldn't be here.

holger