Latest RB highlighting

Joerg Beekmann, DeepCove Labs (YVR)

I noticed there is a setting for "Highlight debugging". I'm assuming
this is to assist in the debugging of the ever more sophisticated
highlighting scheme?

Joerg... with tongue in cheek.

Re: Latest RB highlighting

Holger Kleinsorgen-4
Joerg Beekmann wrote:
> I noticed there is a setting for "Highlight debugging". I'm assuming
> this is to assist in the debugging of the ever more sophisticated
> highlighting scheme?

yes, or more generally, to avoid trouble when debugging code that is
used by the code highlighting package itself (SmaCC, ExtraEmphasis etc.)

Re: Latest RB highlighting

Travis Griggs-3

On Oct 17, 2006, at 14:52, Holger Kleinsorgen wrote:

Joerg Beekmann wrote:
I noticed there is a setting for "Highlight debugging". I'm assuming
this is to assist in the debugging of the ever more sophisticated
highlighting scheme?

yes, or more generally, to avoid trouble when debugging code that is used by the code highlighting package itself (SmaCC, ExtraEmphasis etc.)

Shouldn't it be on by default?

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist

Re: Latest RB highlighting

Karsten Kusche
that's a bit off-topic, but i just ran into that page of dolphin smalltalk:

http://www.macta.f2s.com/Thoughts/dolphin.html

seems they're already using the arrows for highlighting the brackets...
must be some kind of smalltalk-feature, cause I haven't seen it anywhere
else except for smalltalk IDEs so far :-)

Karsten

Travis Griggs wrote:

> On Oct 17, 2006, at 14:52, Holger Kleinsorgen wrote:
>
>> Joerg Beekmann wrote:
>>> I noticed there is a setting for "Highlight debugging". I'm assuming
>>> this is to assist in the debugging of the ever more sophisticated
>>> highlighting scheme?
>>
>> yes, or more generally, to avoid trouble when debugging code that is
>> used by the code highlighting package itself (SmaCC, ExtraEmphasis etc.)
>
> Shouldn't it be on by default?
>
> --
> Travis Griggs
> Objologist
> "I think that we should be men first, and subjects afterward." - Henry
> David Thoreau

Re: Latest RB highlighting

Travis Griggs-3
On Oct 17, 2006, at 16:07, Karsten Kusche wrote:

that's a bit off-topic, but i just ran into that page of dolphin smalltalk:

seems they're already using the arrows for highlighting the brackets... must be some kind of smalltalk-feature, cause I haven't seen it anywhere else except for smalltalk IDEs so far :-)

LOL! I promise I was not aware of it. I don't know whether to be thrilled that somebody else had the same great idea, or disappointed that I wasn't as original as I hoped. I wonder what the Dolphin one does when the enclosure is on multiple lines. That's where it got "fun".

I still do feel that "Enclosure Highlighting" is a different add on, than the core RBCodeHighlighting. I have left it in my image and have actually kinda grown to like the arrows. Maybe I'll tweak them up a bit. How 'bout we pull the changes you did for "highlighting" into a separate package called RBEnclosureHighlighting and I'll put my variant in a package called RBEnclosureMarking? Would that be agreeable?

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist

[parsing bug] Re: Latest RB highlighting

Reinout Heeck-2
The following expression gets colorized correctly:

   3 - 1 * 150 + 20

But these variations fail:

  3-1*150+20

  3 -1 * 150 + 20

-

Re: Latest RB highlighting

Karsten Kusche

> LOL! I promise I was not aware of it. I don't know whether to be
> thrilled that somebody else had the same great idea, or disappointed
> that I wasn't as original as I hoped. I wonder what the Dolphin one
> does when the enclosure is on multiple lines. That's where it got "fun".
i don't know how they do it, i never tried dolphin....

> I still do feel that "Enclosure Highlighting" is a different add on,
> than the core RBCodeHighlighting. I have left it in my image and have
> actually kinda grown to like the arrows. Maybe I'll tweak them up a
> bit. How 'bout we pull the changes you did for "highlighting" into a
> separate package called RBEnclosureHighlighting and I'll put my
> variant in a package called RBEnclosureMarking? Would that be agreeable?
sure thing, just did :-)

Karsten