FileDialogWindow new open

Stephan

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Latest pharo issue with Eliot's latest Cog

EstebanLM
Hi Stephan,

Pharo 2.0 does not work with Eliot builds (and it will not work in some scenarios).
In this case, the main reason is that we rebuild (and use) FilePlugin and it is not incorporated in Eliot branch of the vm... so the FileDialogWindow will take years to open if opens at all.
You need to use one of our VM builds (anyone from last 6 months to now should work)

Esteban

On Mar 12, 2013, at 4:47 PM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The problem is not just with the MOOSE image,
> Pharo 20598 and Cog.app 2071 doesn't allow a
> file dialog to be opened.
>
> FileDialogWindow new open
>
> Stephan
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
In reply to this post by Stephan Eggermont-3
Stephan,

On 12 Mar 2013, at 16:47, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> Stephan

Although it would certainly be nice that Pharo 2.0 ran on the regular Cog VM ( I want that too ), it is not a bug if it does not. The Pharo VM is the reference VM, it is as simple as that.

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu
Smalltalk is the Red Pill

Reply | Threaded
|

Camillo Bruni-3
FileDialogs apparently make use of the new FileSystem values, so yes,
the update-our-VM-warning is there for a good reason!

On 2013-03-12, at 16:47, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> Stephan
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

I understand and encourage the streamlining of efforts. And I have no problem with dealing with the bumps of living on the latest version, be it the VM or the image.

But, please consider the point of view of the one that offers the feedback. Right now, it sounds as if you are shooting down an unreasonable request from Stephan, but in this case, Esteban suggested that we should use the Cog VM instead of the Pharo VM to develop Moose, given that the Pharo VM is basically broken for us.

So, Stephan did exactly that: he used the Cog VM. He reported that the tests do not crash the VM, which I think should be a relevant input, and he also reported other problems while running on the Cog VM. These errors indeed seem to be related to FileSystem, and this just shows that using the Cog VM as a temporary solution does not work. So, we have to focus on the Pharo VM.

And now, I am back to the original question: What other tests or experiments would you like us to do to help with identifying the problem?

Cheers,
Doru

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> Stephan
>

--

"Every thing has its own flow"
Reply | Threaded
|

EstebanLM
Well.. looks like there is a misunderstanding here. 
I suggested use a CogVM. yes, but one of our builds, not Eliot's.

PharoVM was born two weeks ago. Before that, we were producing CogVM and NBCogVM regularly. I suggested to use one of those, I´m sorry if it was not clear. 
The right VMs can be found here:

(yes, the whole vm thing is a mess, we will clean it eventually, but it will take some time...)

Esteban

On Mar 12, 2013, at 5:31 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I understand and encourage the streamlining of efforts. And I have no problem with dealing with the bumps of living on the latest version, be it the VM or the image.

But, please consider the point of view of the one that offers the feedback. Right now, it sounds as if you are shooting down an unreasonable request from Stephan, but in this case, Esteban suggested that we should use the Cog VM instead of the Pharo VM to develop Moose, given that the Pharo VM is basically broken for us.

So, Stephan did exactly that: he used the Cog VM. He reported that the tests do not crash the VM, which I think should be a relevant input, and he also reported other problems while running on the Cog VM. These errors indeed seem to be related to FileSystem, and this just shows that using the Cog VM as a temporary solution does not work. So, we have to focus on the Pharo VM.

And now, I am back to the original question: What other tests or experiments would you like us to do to help with identifying the problem?

Cheers,
Doru

>
>
> Stephan
>

--

Reply | Threaded
|

Tudor Girba-2
Great. We will try that.

Thanks,
Doru

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 5:37 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well.. looks like there is a misunderstanding here. 
I suggested use a CogVM. yes, but one of our builds, not Eliot's.

PharoVM was born two weeks ago. Before that, we were producing CogVM and NBCogVM regularly. I suggested to use one of those, I´m sorry if it was not clear. 
The right VMs can be found here:

(yes, the whole vm thing is a mess, we will clean it eventually, but it will take some time...)

Esteban

Hi,

Cheers,
Doru

>
>
> Stephan
>

--

--

Reply | Threaded
|

stephane ducasse
In reply to this post by Tudor Girba-2

Hi,

doru do you have an idea of the tests that crash the vm?

Cheers,
Doru

>
>
> Stephan
>

--

Reply | Threaded
|

EstebanLM
is GLMMorphicExamplesTest>>#testSmoke

On Mar 12, 2013, at 5:55 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

doru do you have an idea of the tests that crash the vm?

Cheers,
Doru

>
>
> Stephan
>

--

Reply | Threaded
|

Tudor Girba-2
That is one, but if I disable that one, others also get to crash the VM. I did not yet investigate further, but I will start now to try also with the NBCog and will keep you posted.

Cheers,
Doru

On Mar 12, 2013, at 5:59 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> is GLMMorphicExamplesTest>>#testSmoke
>
> On Mar 12, 2013, at 5:55 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>
>> On Mar 12, 2013, at 5:31 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I understand and encourage the streamlining of efforts. And I have no problem with dealing with the bumps of living on the latest version, be it the VM or the image.
>>>
>>> But, please consider the point of view of the one that offers the feedback. Right now, it sounds as if you are shooting down an unreasonable request from Stephan, but in this case, Esteban suggested that we should use the Cog VM instead of the Pharo VM to develop Moose, given that the Pharo VM is basically broken for us.
>>>
>>> So, Stephan did exactly that: he used the Cog VM. He reported that the tests do not crash the VM, which I think should be a relevant input, and he also reported other problems while running on the Cog VM. These errors indeed seem to be related to FileSystem, and this just shows that using the Cog VM as a temporary solution does not work. So, we have to focus on the Pharo VM.
>>
>>
>> doru do you have an idea of the tests that crash the vm?
>>
>>>
>>> And now, I am back to the original question: What other tests or experiments would you like us to do to help with identifying the problem?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>>
>>>
>>> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> FileDialogs apparently make use of the new FileSystem values, so yes,
>>> the update-our-VM-warning is there for a good reason!
>>>
>>> On 2013-03-12, at 16:47, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> > The problem is not just with the MOOSE image,
>>> > Pharo 20598 and Cog.app 2071 doesn't allow a
>>> > file dialog to be opened.
>>> >
>>> > FileDialogWindow new open
>>> >
>>> > Stephan
>>> >
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "Every thing has its own flow"
>>
>

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Value is always contextual."

Reply | Threaded
|

Stephan Eggermont-3
Esteban wrote:
>Pharo 2.0 does not work with Eliot builds (and it will not work in some scenarios).
>In this case, the main reason is that we rebuild (and use) FilePlugin and it is not
>incorporated in Eliot branch of the vm... so the FileDialogWindow will take years to open if opens at all.
>You need to use one of our VM builds (anyone from last 6 months to now should work)

Ah, I didn't know the differences were already so that we need a Pharo-specific vm.

nbcog-mac-latest.zip from 27-11-2012 doesn't crash.
15883 run, 15493 passes, 2 skipped, 88 expected failures, 207 failures, 95 errors, 0 unexpected passes

Would it be possible to have the vm warning more informative? Something like
"expected FilePlugIn, ..."?

Stephan
Reply | Threaded
|

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Stephan,

Thanks for your testing time :)

Cheers,
Doru

On Mar 12, 2013, at 9:12 PM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Esteban wrote:
>> Pharo 2.0 does not work with Eliot builds (and it will not work in some scenarios).
>> In this case, the main reason is that we rebuild (and use) FilePlugin and it is not
>> incorporated in Eliot branch of the vm... so the FileDialogWindow will take years to open if opens at all.
>> You need to use one of our VM builds (anyone from last 6 months to now should work)
>
> Ah, I didn't know the differences were already so that we need a Pharo-specific vm.
>
> nbcog-mac-latest.zip from 27-11-2012 doesn't crash.
> 15883 run, 15493 passes, 2 skipped, 88 expected failures, 207 failures, 95 errors, 0 unexpected passes
>
> Would it be possible to have the vm warning more informative? Something like
> "expected FilePlugIn, ..."?
>
> Stephan

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"It's not what we do that matters most, it's how we do it."