Latex to HelpSystem converter? [WAS] Re: [Metacello] Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo-1.1-11367-Beta1dev10.05.1

Latex to HelpSystem converter? [WAS] Re: [Metacello] Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo-1.1-11367-Beta1dev10.05.1

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 11:41 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>We should listen to Torsten but as far as I would expect, only HelpSystem,
>but it is already included in both PharoCore and Squeak.

The help system is included in Squeak trunk and Pharo core, so
one should be able to load the three example books (Squeak, Pharo,
Metacello) which I uploaded in squeksource/HelpSystem in both
environments. Still they are just small demo books - no real
docu since there is not much content yet.

However - we could reuse them to document these systems if
for instance Dale is willing to contribute stuff to the
Metacello book or we create an ASCII version of the Metacello
preview PBE chapter.

Maybe I am dreaming too much, but it would be cool to export somehow some chapters to HelpSystem.
Is there a way to export from Latex to ASCII ?  even more, how difficult could be to code a plugin (or whatever name is) to automatically generate the nice code for HelpSystem from Latex code?

Then we can include PBE in the image also ;)

Cheers

Mariano

Would be nice to have a real Metacello help book
that would be part of the Metacello distro (similar to the ProfStef
Tutorial on Metacello) ...

Thanks
T.

Re: Latex to HelpSystem converter? [WAS] Re: [Metacello] Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo-1.1-11367-Beta1dev10.05.1

Dale Henrichs
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 11:41 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>> We should listen to Torsten but as far as I would expect, only HelpSystem,
>> but it is already included in both PharoCore and Squeak.
>
> The help system is included in Squeak trunk and Pharo core, so
> one should be able to load the three example books (Squeak, Pharo,
> Metacello) which I uploaded in squeksource/HelpSystem in both
> environments. Still they are just small demo books - no real
> docu since there is not much content yet.

I have pulled the Metacello-Help package over to the metacello
repository and have added to a baseline for 1.0-beta.27... but it should
have more content...

> However - we could reuse them to document these systems if
> for instance Dale is willing to contribute stuff to the
> Metacello book or we create an ASCII version of the Metacello
> preview PBE chapter.

Mariano is actually doing all of the heavy lifting on the PBE chapter:)

> Maybe I am dreaming too much, but it would be cool to export somehow some chapters to HelpSystem.
> Is there a way to export from Latex to ASCII ?  even more, how difficult could be to code a plugin (or whatever name is) to automatically generate the nice code for HelpSystem from Latex code?
>
> Then we can include PBE in the image also ;)

This would be very cool!

It seems that there is a place for online (pdf..) documentation, but the
online and in-image documentation really needs to stay in synch!

Dale

Re: Latex to HelpSystem converter? [WAS] Re: [Metacello] Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo-1.1-11367-Beta1dev10.05.1

Stéphane Ducasse
The only way is the pharo book
        you can generate latex
        browse it via google
        query it.

There is a visitor so we can produce what we want from the book structure.
Please no copy and paste.

Stef

On May 25, 2010, at 12:28 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 11:41 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>> We should listen to Torsten but as far as I would expect, only HelpSystem,
>>> but it is already included in both PharoCore and Squeak.
>> The help system is included in Squeak trunk and Pharo core, so
>> one should be able to load the three example books (Squeak, Pharo,
>> Metacello) which I uploaded in squeksource/HelpSystem in both
>> environments. Still they are just small demo books - no real
>> docu since there is not much content yet.
>
> I have pulled the Metacello-Help package over to the metacello repository and have added to a baseline for 1.0-beta.27... but it should have more content...
>
>> However - we could reuse them to document these systems if
>> for instance Dale is willing to contribute stuff to the
>> Metacello book or we create an ASCII version of the Metacello
>> preview PBE chapter.
>
> Mariano is actually doing all of the heavy lifting on the PBE chapter:)
>
>> Maybe I am dreaming too much, but it would be cool to export somehow some chapters to HelpSystem.
>> Is there a way to export from Latex to ASCII ?  even more, how difficult could be to code a plugin (or whatever name is) to automatically generate the nice code for HelpSystem from Latex code?
>> Then we can include PBE in the image also ;)
>
> This would be very cool!
>
> It seems that there is a place for online (pdf..) documentation, but the online and in-image documentation really needs to stay in synch!
>
> Dale

Re: Latex to HelpSystem converter? [WAS] Re: [Metacello] Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo-1.1-11367-Beta1dev10.05.1

Damien Pollet
On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 09:21, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> The only way is the pharo book
>        you can generate latex
>        browse it via google
>        query it.
>
> There is a visitor so we can produce what we want from the book structure.
> Please no copy and paste.

Embedding a copy of the pier kernel in the image could work,
especially since there is already a morphic pier browser. But then why
not browse it online? Embedding is only really useful if it's fully
exploiting the possibility of linking between text and code.

--
Damien Pollet