[Launcher][Win]Cannot download the VM from Pharo

[Launcher][Win]Cannot download the VM from Pharo

Vincent.Blondeau
Hi,

With the Pharo launcher, the VM are automatically downloaded from the files.pharo.org server.
However, it seems that the download of some VMs doesn't work at least under Windows 10.
For the P7 image, the download stops at 38% (~2.5Mo) with the error "ConnectionClosed: Cannot Read Data", and, I obtain the same error with this cmd:

ZnEasy get: 'http://files.pharo.org/get-files/70/pharo-win-stable.zip'.

However, I can fully download the image through the Internet Browser. The download with Pharo is working: ZnEasy get: 'https://files.pharo.org/'. give me a 200 OK response.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Cheers,
Vincent

winmail.dat (18K) Download Attachment

Re: [Launcher][Win]Cannot download the VM from Pharo

Marcus Denker-4
Hi,

My watchdog detected problems connecting to files.pharo.org this night (local time).

It seems to not happen anymore. It might have been related (that is, there might have been problems
on the OVH side this night).

Marcus

<winmail.dat>

Re: [Launcher][Win]Cannot download the VM from Pharo

Vincent.Blondeau

Hi,

I think that is not related… I have this problem since last week and it is still there today.

Vincent

Re: [Launcher][Win]Cannot download the VM from Pharo

Vincent Blondeau

This issue is still there….

At work, I can download the zip properly with Firefox, but not with Chrome, IE, Pharo, and VisualWorks.

When I use another connection than the one behind the company firewall, it works.

I tried on the laptop of one of my colleagues: same issue…

By analyzing the HTTP packets with Wireshark, a Reset of the connection is send by the server, I don’t know why…

I really don’t know how to solve or reproduce this issue. Has someone an idea?

Thanks,

Vincent

I think that is not related… I have this problem since last week and it is still there today.

Vincent

Re: [Launcher][Win]Cannot download the VM from Pharo

demarey
Hi Vincent,

If I understand well, it is not a Launcher issue. If so, you should rename the thread subject so that people having knowledge about network issues can answer.

Could you give try with a concrete example with wget / curl or an equivalent on windows (https://superuser.com/questions/362152/native-alternative-to-wget-in-windows-powershell and post the result?
Could it  be a problem with your company proxy or firewall?
If it works with Firefox, it probably means it does something more (or different) than others.

<winmail.dat>

Re: [Launcher][Win]Cannot download the VM from Pharo

Marcus Denker-4
Hello,

I remember that we had people behind firewalls some time ago that saw this problem. (In Argentina?).
We never even found a clue what the problem could be.

There has to be something that Pharo does that leads to the server dropping the connection. What could it
be?

Marcus

On 1 Feb 2018, at 09:33, Vincent BLONDEAU <[hidden email]> wrote:

This issue is still there….

At work, I can download the zip properly with Firefox, but not with Chrome, IE, Pharo, and VisualWorks.
When I use another connection than the one behind the company firewall, it works.
I tried on the laptop of one of my colleagues: same issue…

By analyzing the HTTP packets with Wireshark, a Reset of the connection is send by the server, I don’t know why…
I really don’t know how to solve or reproduce this issue. Has someone an idea?

Thanks,

Vincent

I think that is not related… I have this problem since last week and it is still there today.

Vincent

<winmail.dat>

Re: [Launcher][Win]Cannot download the VM from Pharo

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
This is a know issue.

It requires being behind a particular proxy or firewall doing a large HTTPS (I believe it does not occur with HTTP) download that goes slower. It might also only occur on Windows.

This can only be debugged when being in that specific location, I guess.

It is annoying to say the least.

> On 1 Feb 2018, at 11:37, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I remember that we had people behind firewalls some time ago that saw this problem. (In Argentina?).
> We never even found a clue what the problem could be.
>
> There has to be something that Pharo does that leads to the server dropping the connection. What could it
> be?
>
> Marcus
>
>> On 1 Feb 2018, at 09:33, Vincent BLONDEAU <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This issue is still there….
>>
>> At work, I can download the zip properly with Firefox, but not with Chrome, IE, Pharo, and VisualWorks.
>> When I use another connection than the one behind the company firewall, it works.
>> I tried on the laptop of one of my colleagues: same issue…
>>
>> By analyzing the HTTP packets with Wireshark, a Reset of the connection is send by the server, I don’t know why…
>> I really don’t know how to solve or reproduce this issue. Has someone an idea?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

>> Vincent

Even a simple wget cmd does not work too
wget : Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote
host.
At line:1 char:1
+ wget https://files.pharo.org/get-files/70/pharo-win-stable.zip
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Invoke-WebRequest], IOException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.IO.IOException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.InvokeWebRequestCommand

It should be a firewall pb then....

Thanks for your help!

Vincent