Launching Pharo 4 image in new Pharo 5 Launcher fails

Launching Pharo 4 image in new Pharo 5 Launcher fails

Brad Selfridge
I've downloaded and installed the new Pharo 5 One Click environment. I've also downloaded the new Pharo 5 Launcher. I can build and run a Pharo 5 image from the launcher, but when I build or try to open a Pharo 4 image the launcher just goes away and the dev image is not opened.

I suspect that I'm dealing with a missing VM issue, but I'm not sure. Can someone guide me on this issue?
Brad Selfridge

Re: Launching Pharo 4 image in new Pharo 5 Launcher fails

Ben Coman
On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 10:50 PM, Brad Selfridge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've downloaded and installed the new Pharo 5 One Click environment. I've
> also downloaded the new Pharo 5 Launcher. I can build and run a Pharo 5
> image from the launcher, but when I build or try to open a Pharo 4 image the
> launcher just goes away and the dev image is not opened.
>
> I suspect that I'm dealing with a missing VM issue, but I'm not sure. Can
> someone guide me on this issue?

The Image file format changed to Spur for Pharo 5, so a different VM
is required for Pharo 4 and Pharo 5.  You will need to download Pharo4
VM separately and specify its path it under PharoLauncher settings.

Just for completeness, could you detail where from you downloaded
Pharo 5 and PharoLauncher.

cheers -ben

Re: Launching Pharo 4 image in new Pharo 5 Launcher fails

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
The latest Pharo Launcher contains both VM's, IIUC.

I just tried and I created/ran a 4.0 image next to my 5.0 and 6.0 images.

This was on macOS.

> On 03 Aug 2016, at 01:38, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 10:50 PM, Brad Selfridge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've downloaded and installed the new Pharo 5 One Click environment. I've
>> also downloaded the new Pharo 5 Launcher. I can build and run a Pharo 5
>> image from the launcher, but when I build or try to open a Pharo 4 image the
>> launcher just goes away and the dev image is not opened.
>>
>> I suspect that I'm dealing with a missing VM issue, but I'm not sure. Can
>> someone guide me on this issue?
>
> The Image file format changed to Spur for Pharo 5, so a different VM
> is required for Pharo 4 and Pharo 5.  You will need to download Pharo4
> VM separately and specify its path it under PharoLauncher settings.
>
> Just for completeness, could you detail where from you downloaded
> Pharo 5 and PharoLauncher.
>
> cheers -ben

Re: Launching Pharo 4 image in new Pharo 5 Launcher fails

Brad Selfridge
Thanks.

I was able to modify settings in the 5.0 launcher to point to my 4.0 VM and everything seems to be working now.

Brad Selfridge