Layout of list of commands, views, and sitemap.

Layout of list of commands, views, and sitemap.

Nick Brown
Hi. I'm working with the Pier 1.2 image from piercms.com, and I'm
getting fed up with having to scroll down the web page every time I want
to click on a command, a view, etc. So I've been trying to change the
layout to be more like what I've seen on Pier sites in the past, where
the commands, views, and sitemap were in a column down the left hand
side.

To this end, I've edited the environment to include:

... and set the contents div to "span-18 last".

While this does get things approximately where I want them on screen,
the list of commands etc are still being rendered horizontally, and
wrapping around inside the div, which is a kind of a mess. I can't
figure out what I should do to make them display neatly, one item per
line, down the column.

Any pointers much appreciated.

Cheers,
Nick Brown

Re: Layout of list of commands, views, and sitemap.

Tudor Girba
Hi,

Look in the CSS. You probably have somewhere something like "ul li
{display: inline}" that makes the list items to be shown one next to
each other, instead of one below the other.

Cheers,
Doru

On 28 Jan 2010, at 16:11, Nick Brown wrote:

> Hi. I'm working with the Pier 1.2 image from piercms.com, and I'm
> getting fed up with having to scroll down the web page every time I
> want
> to click on a command, a view, etc. So I've been trying to change the
> layout to be more like what I've seen on Pier sites in the past, where
> the commands, views, and sitemap were in a column down the left hand
> side.
>
> To this end, I've edited the environment to include:
>
> ... and set the contents div to "span-18 last".
>
> While this does get things approximately where I want them on screen,
> the list of commands etc are still being rendered horizontally, and
> wrapping around inside the div, which is a kind of a mess. I can't
> figure out what I should do to make them display neatly, one item per
> line, down the column.
>
> Any pointers much appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Nick Brown

www.tudorgirba.com

"If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
you will end up with a messy haircut."

Re: Layout of list of commands, views, and sitemap.

Lukas Renggli
> Hi. I'm working with the Pier 1.2 image from piercms.com, and I'm
> getting fed up with having to scroll down the web page every time I want
> to click on a command, a view, etc. So I've been trying to change the
> layout to be more like what I've seen on Pier sites in the past, where
> the commands, views, and sitemap were in a column down the left hand
> side.

You might also want to use the keybindings: http://www.piercms.com/doc/shortcuts

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Layout of list of commands, views, and sitemap.

Nick Brown
Thanks guys. That's exactly what I what I was looking for.

Cheers,
Nick

Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Look in the CSS. You probably have somewhere something like "ul li
> {display: inline}" that makes the list items to be shown one next to
> each other, instead of one below the other.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 28 Jan 2010, at 16:11, Nick Brown wrote:
>
>> Hi. I'm working with the Pier 1.2 image from piercms.com, and I'm
>> getting fed up with having to scroll down the web page every time I want
>> to click on a command, a view, etc. So I've been trying to change the
>> layout to be more like what I've seen on Pier sites in the past, where
>> the commands, views, and sitemap were in a column down the left hand
>> side.
>>
>> To this end, I've edited the environment to include:
>>
>> ... and set the contents div to "span-18 last".
>>
>> While this does get things approximately where I want them on screen,
>> the list of commands etc are still being rendered horizontally, and
>> wrapping around inside the div, which is a kind of a mess. I can't
>> figure out what I should do to make them display neatly, one item per
>> line, down the column.
>>
>> Any pointers much appreciated.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Nick Brown

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
> you will end up with a messy haircut."

Re: Layout of list of commands, views, and sitemap.

keith1y

On 28 Jan 2010, at 15:11, Nick Brown wrote:

> Hi. I'm working with the Pier 1.2 image from piercms.com, and I'm
> getting fed up with having to scroll down the web page every time I
> want
> to click on a command, a view, etc. So I've been trying to change the
> layout to be more like what I've seen on Pier sites in the past, where
> the commands, views, and sitemap were in a column down the left hand
> side.
>
> To this end, I've edited the environment to include:
>
> ... and set the contents div to "span-18 last".
>
> While this does get things approximately where I want them on screen,
> the list of commands etc are still being rendered horizontally, and
> wrapping around inside the div, which is a kind of a mess. I can't
> figure out what I should do to make them display neatly, one item per
> line, down the column.
>
> Any pointers much appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Nick Brown

Hi Nick,

this doesnt answer your question, but here are some other ideas.

The absolute simplest way of putting the commands in an accessible
place, is simply to put them in a horizontal list at the top. I do
this in some cases for admin users, where they are normally hidden.

I still use the old pier layout for admin purposes, only I use
NiftyCorners javascript for the corners and tabs, and made it so that
the colour and logo may be changed for different parts of the site. So
for example, user admin can have an appropriate logo, rather than the
pencil.

What we do is we have all the configuration, layout and styling set
globally by the Frame component. So you can have two different seaside
applications with different frame components on the same pier data. So
typically we have a main site and an admin view of the same site.

We also have Frame Components which use the content-with-style
framework, as well as the blueprint framework, this means we only need
to have one layout for pretty much any standard design.

We also have a Frame Component which allow different parts of the site
to use different Frame Components, so we used to have an admin area
which presented the old-style admin layout and style.

The bulk of this code is available in the Pier-Jetsam-Environment
package, though I am so far behind the current pier version, that I
have no idea if it will work for you.

regards

Keith