Learn Pharo - Not Working

12

Learn Pharo - Not Working

magicspeller
Hi, everyone.

I'm an absolute newbie to Pharo, and to Smalltalk, and I'm trying to learn.
I just installed Pharo 7.0.1 (on Windows 10) and I immediately got stuck.

I selected "Learn Pharo" in the outline, and it gave me a screen saying:

You can learn Pharo by clicking on the following expression:

ProfStef go.

I clicked on ProfStef go and nothing happened. There are three URL links on
the same page that work like they're supposed to, but no matter how many
times I try, clicking on ProfStef go appears to do nothing at all.

Am I misunderstanding what I'm supposed to do or what's supposed to happen?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Re: Learn Pharo - Not Working

John Pfersich
Did you use the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version? I just used Pharo Launcher to start a 32-bit image. I clicked on ‘ProfStef go’ and got a separate window with the tutorial. I didn’t try the 64-bit version; it’s still beta software.

/*—————————————————-*/
Sent from my iPhone
https://boincstats.com/signature/-1/user/51616339056/sig.png
See https://objectnets.net and https://objectnets.org

> On Feb 1, 2019, at 23:34, magicspeller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi, everyone.
>
> I'm an absolute newbie to Pharo, and to Smalltalk, and I'm trying to learn.
> I just installed Pharo 7.0.1 (on Windows 10) and I immediately got stuck.
>
> I selected "Learn Pharo" in the outline, and it gave me a screen saying:
>
> You can learn Pharo by clicking on the following expression:
>
> ProfStef go.
>
> I clicked on ProfStef go and nothing happened. There are three URL links on
> the same page that work like they're supposed to, but no matter how many
> times I try, clicking on ProfStef go appears to do nothing at all.
>
> Am I misunderstanding what I'm supposed to do or what's supposed to happen?
>
> Thanks a lot for your help.

Re: Learn Pharo - Not Working

magicspeller
Thanks, John. It is the 64-bit version. I didn't know it was beta software.

Re: Learn Pharo - Not Working

magicspeller
John Pfersich wrote
> Did you use the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version? I just used Pharo
> Launcher to start a 32-bit image. I clicked on ‘ProfStef go’ and got a
> separate window with the tutorial. I didn’t try the 64-bit version; it’s
> still beta software.

Thanks again, John. I went to the download site and discovered that both 7.0
versions are labeled development versions. I downloaded and ran the 32-bit
version. It works fine.

Re: Learn Pharo - Not Working

Richard70NL
magicspeller wrote
> You can learn Pharo by clicking on the following expression:
>
> ProfStef go.
>
> I clicked on ProfStef go and nothing happened. There are three URL links
> on
> the same page that work like they're supposed to, but no matter how many
> times I try, clicking on ProfStef go appears to do nothing at all.

For me it works, but what you can also try is:
1) Click the menu Tools -> Playground
2) Type: ProfStef go.
3) Right click what you just typed and click "Do It"

BTW, I'm also new with Pharo (not with programming) and I really enjoy the
book at http://books.pharo.org/pharo-by-example/.

Cheers,
Richard

Re: Learn Pharo - Not Working

magicspeller
Richard70NL wrote
> For me it works, but what you can also try is:
> 1) Click the menu Tools -> Playground
> 2) Type: ProfStef go.
> 3) Right click what you just typed and click "Do It"
>
> BTW, I'm also new with Pharo (not with programming) and I really enjoy the
> book at http://books.pharo.org/pharo-by-example/.

Hi Richard,

Like you, I have a programming background, but Pharo and Smalltalk are quite
a new experience. I downloaded /Pharo By Example/ but haven't gotten around
to reading any of it yet.

Thank you for the Playground suggestion! That's a great idea, and it works
really well. That means I should be able to go back to the 64-bit version.

Can you tell me why you don't have to select "ProfStef go." before right
clicking it. I had gotten the impression that to execute any Smalltalk
statement you always have to select it first.

Thanks again,
Keith

Re: Learn Pharo - Not Working

John Pfersich
I think they call the 64-bit stuff “experimental” so it best to learn on the 32-bit stuff. Then you can help the developers debug the 64-bit stuff.

/*—————————————————-*/
Sent from my iPhone
https://boincstats.com/signature/-1/user/51616339056/sig.png
See https://objectnets.net and https://objectnets.org

> On Feb 2, 2019, at 11:59, magicspeller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> John Pfersich wrote
>> Did you use the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version? I just used Pharo
>> Launcher to start a 32-bit image. I clicked on ‘ProfStef go’ and got a
>> separate window with the tutorial. I didn’t try the 64-bit version; it’s
>> still beta software.
>
> Thanks again, John. I went to the download site and discovered that both 7.0
> versions are labeled development versions. I downloaded and ran the 32-bit
> version. It works fine.

Re: Learn Pharo - Not Working

John Pfersich
In Pharo, my impression is that the cu

/*—————————————————-*/
Sent from my iPhone
https://boincstats.com/signature/-1/user/51616339056/sig.png
See https://objectnets.net and https://objectnets.org

> On Feb 2, 2019, at 16:30, magicspeller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Richard70NL wrote
>> For me it works, but what you can also try is:
>> 1) Click the menu Tools -> Playground
>> 2) Type: ProfStef go.
>> 3) Right click what you just typed and click "Do It"
>>
>> BTW, I'm also new with Pharo (not with programming) and I really enjoy the
>> book at http://books.pharo.org/pharo-by-example/.
>
> Hi Richard,
>
> Like you, I have a programming background, but Pharo and Smalltalk are quite
> a new experience. I downloaded /Pharo By Example/ but haven't gotten around
> to reading any of it yet.
>
> Thank you for the Playground suggestion! That's a great idea, and it works
> really well. That means I should be able to go back to the 64-bit version.
>
> Can you tell me why you don't have to select "ProfStef go." before right
> clicking it. I had gotten the impression that to execute any Smalltalk
> statement you always have to select it first.
>
> Thanks again,
> Keith

Re: Learn Pharo - Not Working

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
magicspeller wrote
> Can you tell me why you don't have to select "ProfStef go." before right
> clicking it. I had gotten the impression that to execute any Smalltalk
> statement you always have to select it first.

I believe the default is to evaluate the whole line where the cursor is if
nothing is selected.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Learn Pharo - Not Working

Tim Mackinnon

Sent from my iPhone
> On 3 Feb 2019, at 02:42, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> believe the default is to evaluate the whole line where the cursor is if
> nothing is selected.

That reminds me - while I fixed the senders/implementers search commands to intelligently look for the nearest selector to the cursor (in pharo7), I forgot about workspace evaluation - doit or printit should find the nearest complete expression (even if multiline) and evaluate that - unless you specifically highlight something. It makes it much more efficient to then examine things quickly.

Tim

Re: Learn Pharo - Not Working

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

I want to come back to the original issue reported.

To be clear, you report that in the following screen:

Clicking on the blue links like http://mooc.pharo.org or http://books.pharo.org works, but clicking the purple 'ProfStef do.' does not ?

That would be very surprising, as internally, I think the mechanism behind the handling of the mouse click in the text and then doing something is the same.

It would also be quite surprising if this depended on the 32/64 bits difference.

In any case it works for me (macOS 64 bit): it opens a window titled 'Welcome (1/29)' containing step one of the tutorial:

===
"Hello! I'm Professor Stef.

You must want me to help you learn Pharo.

So let's go to the first lesson. Select the text below, right-click and choose 'Do it'"

ProfStef next.
===

You are on Windows, are there any other Windows users that can confirm this either way ?

Sven

On 2 Feb 2019, at 08:34, magicspeller <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi, everyone.

I'm an absolute newbie to Pharo, and to Smalltalk, and I'm trying to learn.
I just installed Pharo 7.0.1 (on Windows 10) and I immediately got stuck.

I selected "Learn Pharo" in the outline, and it gave me a screen saying:

You can learn Pharo by clicking on the following expression:

ProfStef go.

I clicked on ProfStef go and nothing happened. There are three URL links on
the same page that work like they're supposed to, but no matter how many
times I try, clicking on ProfStef go appears to do nothing at all.

Am I misunderstanding what I'm supposed to do or what's supposed to happen?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Re: Learn Pharo - Not Working

Ben Coman

On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 at 08:31, magicspeller <[hidden email]> wrote:

Can you tell me why you don't have to select "ProfStef go." before right
clicking it. I had gotten the impression that to execute any Smalltalk
statement you always have to select it first.

In general you are correct, but newcomers are more familiar with a click paradigm that a select &doIt paradigm
so this specific case is different.  In the interest of teaching how to fish :), here is how you can discover these sorts of answers for yourself...
Tools > Finder > Source
then search for... ProfStef go
and you'll see...  WelcomeHelp-class>>learn
which does...  (self doItFrom: 'ProfStef go.')
Double-clicking "doItFrom:" selects it, then hitting <Ctrl-M> does "Code search... > implementors of it"
that is commented...  [left as an exercise for the reader]

cheers -ben

Re: Learn Pharo - Not Working

Ben Coman

On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 at 19:54, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

It would also be quite surprising if this depended on the 32/64 bits difference.

In any case it works for me (macOS 64 bit): it opens a window titled 'Welcome (1/29)' containing step one of the tutorial:

===
"Hello! I'm Professor Stef.

You must want me to help you learn Pharo.

So let's go to the first lesson. Select the text below, right-click and choose 'Do it'"

ProfStef next.
===

You are on Windows, are there any other Windows users that can confirm this either way ?

On Win 10 and this works for me in both 32-bit and 64-bit Pharo 7.0.1 (build: 146, commit: c48755a)
64-bit VM: 201901051900 https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm.git Date: Sat Jan 5 20:00:11 2019 CommitHash: 7a3c6b6 Plugins: 201901051900

cheers -ben

Screenshot 2019-02-03 at 12.45.48.png (198K) Download Attachment

Re: Learn Pharo - Not Working

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Tim Mackinnon wrote
> doit or printit should find the nearest complete expression (even if
> multiline) and evaluate that

That would be great!

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Learn Pharo - Not Working

eftomi
Just clicking onto ProfStef Go. works for me on both, too.

Win 10, Pharo-7.0.1+build.146, VM: 201901051900
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm.git Date: Sat Jan 5
20:00:11 2019 CommitHash: 7a3c6b6 Plugins: 201901051900

Re: Learn Pharo - Not Working

magicspeller
Ben Coman wrote
> On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 at 19:54, Sven Van Caekenberghe &lt;

> sven@

> &gt; wrote:
>>
>> You are on Windows, are there any other Windows users that can confirm
>> this either way ?
>>

> On Win 10 and this works for me in both 32-bit and 64-bit Pharo 7.0.1
> (build: 146, commit: c48755a)
> 64-bit VM: 201901051900
> https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm.git Date: Sat Jan 5
> 20:00:11 2019 CommitHash: 7a3c6b6 Plugins: 201901051900
>
> cheers -ben

Thanks, everyone. I think I owe you all an apology. I just tried the 64-bit
version again and it worked perfectly.

The instructions just say, "You can learn Pharo by clicking on the following
expression:". I didn't expect a new window to open; I had just finished a
different Pharo course in which everything stayed in the same window. You'd
think I would see a new window opening anyway, but I'm wondering if it might
have been hidden behind the main window. I just discovered the window tabs
at the bottom as well, which would have helped if I'd thought to look there.

Hope I didn't cause anyone a lot of frustration.

In a way, I am glad I posed the question, because I have learned a lot in
the ensuing discussion. I'll respond to a couple of the new replies, but
thank you, everyone, very, very much.

Warren

Re: Learn Pharo - Not Working

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 3 Feb 2019, at 18:57, magicspeller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ben Coman wrote
>> On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 at 19:54, Sven Van Caekenberghe &lt;
>
>> sven@
>
>> &gt; wrote:
>>>
>>> You are on Windows, are there any other Windows users that can confirm
>>> this either way ?
>>>

>> On Win 10 and this works for me in both 32-bit and 64-bit Pharo 7.0.1
>> (build: 146, commit: c48755a)
>> 64-bit VM: 201901051900
>> https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm.git Date: Sat Jan 5
>> 20:00:11 2019 CommitHash: 7a3c6b6 Plugins: 201901051900
>>
>> cheers -ben
>
> Thanks, everyone. I think I owe you all an apology. I just tried the 64-bit
> version again and it worked perfectly.
>
> The instructions just say, "You can learn Pharo by clicking on the following
> expression:". I didn't expect a new window to open; I had just finished a
> different Pharo course in which everything stayed in the same window. You'd
> think I would see a new window opening anyway, but I'm wondering if it might
> have been hidden behind the main window. I just discovered the window tabs
> at the bottom as well, which would have helped if I'd thought to look there.
>
> Hope I didn't cause anyone a lot of frustration.
>
> In a way, I am glad I posed the question, because I have learned a lot in
> the ensuing discussion. I'll respond to a couple of the new replies, but
> thank you, everyone, very, very much.
>
> Warren

No problem, good luck with your further explorations, welcome to Pharo.

Sven

Re: Learn Pharo - Not Working

Richard70NL
Hi Keith,

On 3 Feb 2019, at 01:30, magicspeller <[hidden email]> wrote:

Can you tell me why you don't have to select "ProfStef go." before right
clicking it. I had gotten the impression that to execute any Smalltalk
statement you always have to select it first.

I just checked, the "right click -> do it" only works if at least the cursor is somewhere on the statement. I normally do a cmd-D (macOS) in these situations though. But AFAIK it’s not necessary to select the whole statement. If the cursor is somewhere else in the editor the “right click -> do it” does not work as expected. I think the editor should maybe put the cursor in the position where you right click. But that is more of a preference. I think if you get used to that behaviour then you probably don’t even think about it.

Coming from most common coding editors, I find the editors in Pharo a bit quirky. But I (we?) probably get used to it. I did check online how some people use external editors and I think it’s not worth the hassle. It’s not as straightforward programming as I’m used to. And, I think if you use an external editor you miss the “immersion” of the environment.

Cheers,
Richard

Re: Learn Pharo - Not Working

magicspeller
On 2/3/2019 5:01 AM, Ben Coman wrote:
In general you are correct, but newcomers are more familiar with a click paradigm that a select &doIt paradigm
so this specific case is different.  In the interest of teaching how to fish :), here is how you can discover these sorts of answers for yourself...
Tools > Finder > Source
then search for... ProfStef go
and you'll see...  WelcomeHelp-class>>learn
which does...  (self doItFrom: 'ProfStef go.')
Double-clicking "doItFrom:" selects it, then hitting <Ctrl-M> does "Code search... > implementors of it"
that is commented...  [left as an exercise for the reader]

Thank you. That's really helpful!

Keith

Re: Learn Pharo - Not Working

magicspeller
[...]