Learning resources

SeanTAllen
I'm turning some of my attention to figuring out what is going to go into a 'Learn' section for the redline website.

I have a few questions...

* What online smalltalk learning resources do you think would be valuable?
* What non squeak/pharo specific books from http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks.html do you think would be most
   valuable to someone just learning Smalltalk?
* What resources do you think are not out there right now that would be helpful if they were created?

-Sean-

Re: Learning resources

Martin Kühl
On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 14:03, Sean Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm turning some of my attention to figuring out what is going to go into a
> 'Learn' section for the redline website.
>
> I have a few questions...
>
> * What online smalltalk learning resources do you think would be valuable?
> * What non squeak/pharo specific books
> from http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks.html do you think would be
> most
>    valuable to someone just learning Smalltalk?
> * What resources do you think are not out there right now that would be
> helpful if they were created?

It's not really a "learning" resource, but I always liked this
example[1] of Smalltalk's minimal syntax.

More seriously though, I'm a big fan of the "koans" approach: small
test suites where each test case was made to teach you an aspect of
the language while you're fixing it. Someone wrote a suite[2] for GNU
Smalltalk that I guess should be straightforward to port. The original
ones[3] in Ruby may also be interesting.

Cheers,
Martin

[1]: http://minima.al3x.net/post/4613371/This-is-a-small-method-that-illustrates
[2]: https://github.com/sl4m/gnu_smalltalk_koans
[3]: https://github.com/edgecase/ruby_koans

Re: Learning resources

Jeff Heon
I had found this resource helpful to disambiguate a few things, but I
am not sure if it's really a good starting point, or if it's better to
start with a book or tutorial.
I Can Read C++ and Java But I Can’t Read Smalltalk
http://www.eli.sdsu.edu/courses/spring01/cs635/readingSmalltalk.pdf

http://www.eli.sdsu.edu/courses/spring01/cs635/readingSmalltalk.pdf

Re: Learning resources

skim
I plan on porting GNU Smalltalk Koans over to Redline Smalltalk.  Any feedback on the existing koans would be helpful.

skim

Re: Learning resources

SeanTAllen
Awesome. I had forgotten you expressed an interest in doing that.