Learning to use the GUI builder

Arie van Wingerden-3
Hi,

for some time I have read quite a bit about Smalltalk and experimented a
lot as well. The only thing I still want to do is start using GUI's for
my little apps.

Since I think MVC is still the GUI environment of choice (at least it is
the paradigm implemented in some way in all different Smalltalk
environments) I'd like to use MVC in one way or another.

Questions:
  1. is there a great difference between MVC and Dolphin's MVP ? What are
     the main differences (if any) ?
  2. I checked the Dolphin docs (I downloaded Bitwise Mag. offer)
     and found some documentation for View Composer, but I cannot
     extract enough info from there to understand how to build a
     complete GUI app.;
     is there a good tutorial specifically for building Dolphin
     GUI apps ?
  3. is the book "Dolphin Smalltalk Companion" good for learning
     to build complete Dolphin GUI apps ?
  4. is that book up-to-date enough for version 5.1 ?

Any help appreciated !

Kind regards
     Arie

Re: Learning to use the GUI builder

Günther Schmidt
Hi Arie,

some answers in short:

Arie van Wingerden wrote:

> Hi,
>
> for some time I have read quite a bit about Smalltalk and experimented a
> lot as well. The only thing I still want to do is start using GUI's for
> my little apps.
>
> Since I think MVC is still the GUI environment of choice (at least it is
> the paradigm implemented in some way in all different Smalltalk
> environments) I'd like to use MVC in one way or another.
>
> Questions:
>  1. is there a great difference between MVC and Dolphin's MVP ? What are
>     the main differences (if any) ?

basically the difference is more academic, but at the end of the day you
have a separation of business logic and display logic in either and
that's what counts.

>  2. I checked the Dolphin docs (I downloaded Bitwise Mag. offer)
>     and found some documentation for View Composer, but I cannot
>     extract enough info from there to understand how to build a
>     complete GUI app.;

get Dolphin Smalltalk Companion.

>     is there a good tutorial specifically for building Dolphin
>     GUI apps ?
>  3. is the book "Dolphin Smalltalk Companion" good for learning
>     to build complete Dolphin GUI apps ?

YES

>  4. is that book up-to-date enough for version 5.1 ?

YES

> Any help appreciated !
>
> Kind regards
>     Arie

Groetjes

Günther

Re: Learning to use the GUI builder

Janos Kazsoki
Arie,

Above Günther's answer: yes, the Dolphin Smalltalk Companion is very
good. I used it for 5.1.4. You find also the online page of Ted too at:
. http://www.tedbracht.co.uk

Here is my way, you may find it useful:

1.) ObjectArt:  Dolphin Tutorials at
http://www.object-arts.com/EducationCentre/Tutorials/Tutorials.htm

also the Creating a Personal Money Application

2.) on the wiki: http://www.object-arts.co.uk/wiki/html/Dolphin/MVP.htm
you find very useful information and samples as well. (for ex. MVP
Nightschool among others)

3.) Ian's tutorials: at http://www.idb.me.uk/tutorials/
buildshell
buildview Create the histogram view
listview

4.) Louis' tutorials (also extensions to Personal Money application) at
at http://www.mindspring.com/~lsumberg/Dolphin/index.htm

5... Chris', Bill's and Udo's ones, in the Dolphin Smalltalk ring just
look around for examples.

(Sorry if I have not mentioned everybody, if you step through the
Dolphin Smalltalk ring, you will find lots of useful samples.)

Good luck,
Janos

Re: Learning to use the GUI builder

Arie van Wingerden-3
Günther, Janos

thanks for the advice!

Mit herzlichem Gruss,
    Arie

Re: Learning to use the GUI builder

Arie van Wingerden-3
Hi Janos,

when I try to access http://www.idb.me.uk/tutorials/ I get:
        Forbidden
        Web Server at idb.me.uk
I then accessed http://www.idb.me.uk but couldn't find a link to the
tutorials there.
Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,
    Arie

Re: Learning to use the GUI builder

Ian Bartholomew-21
Arie,

> when I try to access http://www.idb.me.uk/tutorials/ I get:
>     Forbidden
>     Web Server at idb.me.uk
> I then accessed http://www.idb.me.uk but couldn't find a link to the
> tutorials there.

I'm in the process of updating the web site (finishing, hopefully,
sometime in the next two or three years ;-( ) and the tutorials were one
of the things I removed.  Due to popular demand (!) I made them
available again at the address below.

Please note that they were written for a very early version of Dolphin
and things may not be exactly as described - which is why I removed them
in the first place.

http://www.idb.me.uk/tutorials.html

--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me.

Ian Bartholomew wrote:

> Arie,
>
>> when I try to access http://www.idb.me.uk/tutorials/ I get:
>>     Forbidden
>>     Web Server at idb.me.uk
>> I then accessed http://www.idb.me.uk but couldn't find a link to the
>> tutorials there.
>

> I'm in the process of updating the web site (finishing, hopefully,
> sometime in the next two or three years ;-( ) and the tutorials were one
> of the things I removed.  Due to popular demand (!) I made them
> available again at the address below.
>
> Please note that they were written for a very early version of Dolphin
> and things may not be exactly as described - which is why I removed them
> in the first place.
>
> http://www.idb.me.uk/tutorials.html

Thanks Ian and good luck updating your site!
    Arie