Let we invite Weekly Squeak on our list

12

Let we invite Weekly Squeak on our list

Janko Mivšek
Dear Aiders,

Those of us who are following Seaside mailing list recently know that
they are rejecting further postings of Weekly Squeak newsletter. I'm a
bit surprised that some community which roots in Squeak can reject
parents in such a way, so as a gesture of solidarity and support I
propose to invite them to post a Weekly Squeak on our mailing list too.
Also, this can help us making stronger ties with Squeakers.

Weekly Squeak (http://news.squeak.org) is kind of a newspaper with news
from Squeak and broader Smalltalk community, so it has a broader
influence. Even for those coming from other dialects it will be
interesting read, that's I'm sure!

So, shall we invite them?

JAnko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: Let we invite Weekly Squeak on our list

cedreek
> Dear Aiders,
>
>  Those of us who are following Seaside mailing list recently know that
>  they are rejecting further postings of Weekly Squeak newsletter. I'm a
>  bit surprised that some community which roots in Squeak can reject

Actually, maybe 3 people "rejected" it mainly because they taught this
was redundant. They just didn't imagine people new to squeak and
smalltalk could enter ST world straight in the seaside list ;)
Moreover, all regognise the quality of the summary and I think the
discussion is concluded by the " seaside community want to keep
it..."...

Cédrick, diaboli advocate :)

Re: Let we invite Weekly Squeak on our list

cedreek
but htat's anyway a good idea,   you should invite them ;)

Re: Let we invite Weekly Squeak on our list

Nicolas Petton
Yes, definitely!

Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
http://nico.bioskop.fr

Re: Let we invite Weekly Squeak on our list

Giuseppe
I'm not subscribed to seaside maillist yet, because I want to
concentrate on Aida first,

I think thath all people subscribed to Aida or Seaside maillist, is
subscribed to squeak-dev too. I think is not necessary to receive the
same mail from 3 or 4 maillist.

Uhmm...Janko, a personal question. I hope thath is only my impression,
but I think Aida and Seaside are entering on a stupid war. We need to
stay together.

Only my opinion.

Cheers.

El 29/03/2008, a las 15:14, Janko Mivšek escribió:

> Dear Aiders,
>
> Those of us who are following Seaside mailing list recently know that
> they are rejecting further postings of Weekly Squeak newsletter. I'm a
> bit surprised that some community which roots in Squeak can reject
> parents in such a way, so as a gesture of solidarity and support I
> propose to invite them to post a Weekly Squeak on our mailing list
> too.
> Also, this can help us making stronger ties with Squeakers.
>
> Weekly Squeak (http://news.squeak.org) is kind of a newspaper with
> news
> from Squeak and broader Smalltalk community, so it has a broader
> influence. Even for those coming from other dialects it will be
> interesting read, that's I'm sure!
>
> So, shall we invite them?
>
> JAnko
>

> --
> Janko Mivšek
> AIDA/Web
> Smalltalk Web Application Server
> http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Let we invite Weekly Squeak on our list

Rob Rothwell
On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 11:49 AM, Giuseppe Luigi Punzi Ruiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Uhmm...Janko, a personal question. I hope thath is only my impression,
but I think Aida and Seaside are entering on a stupid war. We need to
stay together.

What makes you think this?

I hope my recent questions about "Seaside vs. Traditional" did not fuel your impression.  I think understanding the strengths of both frameworks could perhaps create something even more powerful.

Rob

Re: Let we invite Weekly Squeak on our list

Giuseppe
Hi Rob,

No, I readed your mail after my mail :D

Mi impressions is all mails I'm reading last 2 weeks.

Licenses, Seaside vs Aida, etc..etc..etc... I love live with the technology, and competence is good. Because competence, makes Aida (or seaside on the other hand), more strong to reflect new features.

Aida needs more work (tables? In this web era?, the tables are not necessary with divs :D (*)), Seaside needs more work, and all us, smalltalkers, needs to see this 2 frameworks grow to trample Ruby on Rails, and all other frameworks to conquest the world muahahahahahaha (devil laugh)

(*) I say this because is my impression tha Aida use tables to build web. I use Aida for the first time to make the spanish translation, but I don't got time to use it again. For this, I think thath I could be missunderstanding something.

Note: OMG, Every day is more dificult to me write on english :D

El 29/03/2008, a las 16:55, Rob Rothwell escribió:

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 11:49 AM, Giuseppe Luigi Punzi Ruiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Uhmm...Janko, a personal question. I hope thath is only my impression,
but I think Aida and Seaside are entering on a stupid war. We need to
stay together.

What makes you think this?

I hope my recent questions about "Seaside vs. Traditional" did not fuel your impression.  I think understanding the strengths of both frameworks could perhaps create something even more powerful.

Rob

Re: Let we invite Weekly Squeak on our list

Leon Smith
Actually, I'm the one that asked people for a direct comparison a couple of weeks ago, and now I'm sorry I did. I think its normal for people to feel passionate about their creations. I sure do. I've decided I'm just going to use both and decide for myself which one to use where and when its the most appropriate.

As far as the Weekly Squeak goes, if they didn't post on the list I would not have known about it. Now I have the web site bookmarked and I go there all the time. So I think the more the merrier. Especially when a lot of organizations are converting their ST apps to Java or Ruby and wide-spread acceptance of ST in general is very much in doubt. Giuseppe is right. We need to be united as a group. There are plenty of ST critics out there.

Rob Rothwell-2 wrote
glpunzi@lordzealon.com> wrote:

> Uhmm...Janko, a personal question. I hope thath is only my impression,
> but I think Aida and Seaside are entering on a stupid war. We need to
> stay together.

What makes you think this?
I hope my recent questions about "Seaside vs. Traditional" did not fuel your
impression.  I think understanding the strengths of both frameworks could
perhaps create something even more powerful.

Rob

Re: Let we invite Weekly Squeak on our list

Nicolas Petton

Le samedi 29 mars 2008 à 16:49 +0100, Giuseppe Luigi Punzi Ruiz a
écrit :

> I'm not subscribed to seaside maillist yet, because I want to
> concentrate on Aida first,
>
> I think thath all people subscribed to Aida or Seaside maillist, is
> subscribed to squeak-dev too. I think is not necessary to receive the
> same mail from 3 or 4 maillist.
>
> Uhmm...Janko, a personal question. I hope thath is only my impression,
> but I think Aida and Seaside are entering on a stupid war. We need to
> stay together.
Yes, it is bad. Seaside and Aida are both good, but they answer to
different needs. So there is enough place for both. And we are a too
small community for such stupid fights.

Nico

Le samedi 29 mars 2008 à 11:55 -0400, Rob Rothwell a écrit :

> On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 11:49 AM, Giuseppe Luigi Punzi Ruiz
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         Uhmm...Janko, a personal question. I hope thath is only my
>         impression,
>         but I think Aida and Seaside are entering on a stupid war. We
>         need to
>         stay together.
>

> What makes you think this?
>
> I hope my recent questions about "Seaside vs. Traditional" did not
> fuel your impression.  I think understanding the strengths of both
> frameworks could perhaps create something even more powerful.
No, your questions were ok.
I wrote a Counter example, like the Seaside one:
http://nico.bioskop.fr/blog/seaside-counter-example-in-aida/web.html

Cheers!

Nico

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nico.bioskop.fr

Re: Let we invite Weekly Squeak on our list

Giuseppe
+1

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:
I wrote a Counter example, like the Seaside one:
http://nico.bioskop.fr/blog/seaside-counter-example-in-aida/web.html

Whenever I click on ++ or -- I end up ad the Aida site login screen...if I enter "guest, guest" I end up back at the main page.  I'll have to try the code out myself...!

Rob

Re: Seaside Counter example in Aida/web

Rob Rothwell
I don't think I can help you there, but it looks like Nicolas is actively working on it as we speak in order to make the value be session-persistent rather than model-persistent.  Just a guess!

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 12:40 PM, Giuseppe Luigi Punzi Ruiz <[hidden email]> wrote:

You see the counter at least. I can't find it LOL.

Re: Seaside Counter example in Aida/web

Nicolas Petton
I updated it, I forgot to set access rights to guests...sorry.

Nico
Le samedi 29 mars 2008 à 17:40 +0100, Giuseppe Luigi Punzi Ruiz a
écrit :

> You see the counter at least. I can't find it LOL.
>

> El 29/03/2008, a las 17:32, Rob Rothwell escribió:
>
> > On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Nicolas Petton
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >         I wrote a Counter example, like the Seaside one:
> >         http://nico.bioskop.fr/blog/seaside-counter-example-in-aida/web.html
> >
> > Whenever I click on ++ or -- I end up ad the Aida site login
> > screen...if I enter "guest, guest" I end up back at the main page.
> > I'll have to try the code out myself...!
> >
> > Rob

Re: Seaside Counter example in Aida/web

Giuseppe
I tried it on local. But, in this web era, I think is better a simple
example like this, but with Ajax (multiple counters for example).

For you, this could be 10 minutes, and I will invite you to a beer :D

El 29/03/2008, a las 19:01, Nicolas Petton escribió:

> I updated it, I forgot to set access rights to guests...sorry.
>
> Nico
> Le samedi 29 mars 2008 à 17:40 +0100, Giuseppe Luigi Punzi Ruiz a
> écrit :
>>

>> You see the counter at least. I can't find it LOL.
>>

>> El 29/03/2008, a las 17:32, Rob Rothwell escribió:
>>
>>> On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Nicolas Petton
>>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>        I wrote a Counter example, like the Seaside one:
>>>        http://nico.bioskop.fr/blog/seaside-counter-example-in-aida/web.html
>>>
>>> Whenever I click on ++ or -- I end up ad the Aida site login
>>> screen...if I enter "guest, guest" I end up back at the main page.
>>> I'll have to try the code out myself...!
>>>
>>> Rob

Re: Seaside Counter example in Aida/web

Nicolas Petton

Le samedi 29 mars 2008 à 18:00 +0100, Giuseppe Luigi Punzi Ruiz a
écrit :
> I tried it on local. But, in this web era, I think is better a simple
> example like this, but with Ajax (multiple counters for example).

Yes, it could be a good example too. I will keep it for another post on
mt blog :)

> For you, this could be 10 minutes, and I will invite you to a beer :D
I will remember that :)

Nico

écrit :
> I tried it on local. But, in this web era, I think is better a simple
> example like this, but with Ajax (multiple counters for example).

Yes, it could be a good example too. I will keep it for another post on
mt blog :)

> For you, this could be 10 minutes, and I will invite you to a beer :D
I will remember that :)

Sorry...didn't mean to start a competition!

However, I think I will try this with Aida WITHOUT looking at your code!  The new "Hello World" of Smalltalk programming...

"Show me your Counter"

Rob

Re: Seaside Counter example in Aida/web

cedreek

> Sorry...didn't mean to start a competition!

sometime competition is good ;)  I hope this is the case here

> However, I think I will try this with Aida WITHOUT looking at your code!
> The new "Hello World" of Smalltalk programming...
>
> "Show me your Counter"

lol ;)

Re: Let we invite Weekly Squeak on our list

Damir Horvat-2
Nicolas Petton wrote:

> Yes, it is bad. Seaside and Aida are both good, but they answer to
> different needs. So there is enough place for both. And we are a too
> small community for such stupid fights.

ack
12