License of Announcements

Runar Jordahl
The implementation of Announcements in Pharo is different from the one
in VisualWorks. For example, VisualWorks implements Object>>announce:
, meaning that classes that want to “announce” , can simply
reimplement #subscriptionRegistryOrNil , while in Pharo you need to
inherit from Annoucer or re-implement its methods.

Pharo's implementation is more compact, but lacks a lot of features
found in VisualWorks.

In the Pharo mailing list it is said that licensing "(...) made it
impossible to have the same implementation asVisualWorks." Is this
correct? I once thought Announcements was open-sourced, but I might be
wrong.

I think that Announcements is such an important framework that it
should support the same features across dialects. I am doing some
Seaside work, but porting changes between dialects will be harder due
to the differences in Announcements.

Runar

Re: License of Announcements

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 7:48 PM, Runar Jordahl <[hidden email]> wrote:
The implementation of Announcements in Pharo is different from the one
in VisualWorks. For example, VisualWorks implements Object>>announce:
, meaning that classes that want to “announce” , can simply
reimplement #subscriptionRegistryOrNil , while in Pharo you need to
inherit from Annoucer or re-implement its methods.

Pharo's implementation is more compact, but lacks a lot of features
found in VisualWorks.

In the Pharo mailing list it is said that licensing "(...) made it
impossible to have the same implementation asVisualWorks." Is this
correct? I once thought Announcements was open-sourced, but I might be
wrong.

Be careful that being open-source is different from having problems with licensing. I mean, even being open-source, depending on the type of the license it can be a problem or not.
For example, maybe it was LGPL and not MIT in which case cannot be included in the main distribution of Pharo.

Cheers

I think that Announcements is such an important framework that it
should support the same features across dialects. I am doing some
Seaside work, but porting changes between dialects will be harder due
to the differences in Announcements.

Runar

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com