License text

SeanTAllen
I have no understanding on this...

Is there a reason that the License has to be at the top of all the files?
Would a single copy of it in the repo be fine and then we aren't duplicating the same text across tons of files?

-S-

Re: License text

James Ladd
It seems to be common. I think it is worth while.

On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 8:34 AM, Sean T Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have no understanding on this...

Is there a reason that the License has to be at the top of all the files?
Would a single copy of it in the repo be fine and then we aren't duplicating the same text across tons of files?

-S-

Re: License text

SeanTAllen
Going to suck if anything needs to be changed.

Common isn't a big selling point for me... if it was, I wouldn't be doing Smalltalk ;).

To me, it seems like something else to possibly maintain ( across all files ), something to review ( is it still actually correct after changes, with new files etc ). I wonder if the common-ness came from the BSD license that requires it to be in each file and other people followed suit or if there is a real legal reason to have it in every file.

On Saturday, September 10, 2011 at 6:37 PM, James Ladd wrote:

It seems to be common. I think it is worth while.

On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 8:34 AM, Sean T Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have no understanding on this...

Is there a reason that the License has to be at the top of all the files?
Would a single copy of it in the repo be fine and then we aren't duplicating the same text across tons of files?

-S-

Re: License text

James Ladd
I have simplified to a single line at the top of each file, including
Smalltalk source.