Licensing - LGPL for good?

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Licensing - LGPL for good?

Bruce Badger
Hi all,

There has been no further discussion of any kind about changing the
license of Swazoo from LGPL since the summer.

Have we put all that behind us now?  I do hope so.

All the best,
    Bruce
--
Make the most of your skills - with OpenSkills
http://www.openskills.org/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's challenge
Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great prizes
Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the world
http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
_______________________________________________
Swazoo-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/swazoo-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Licensing - LGPL for good?

Janko Mivšek
Bruce Badger wrote:

> There has been no further discussion of any kind about changing the
> license of Swazoo from LGPL since the summer.
>
> Have we put all that behind us now?  I do hope so.

Yes we do. Now is turn on me to un-merge your part of Swazoo so that we
can relicense Swazoo as MIT. As usually a time is a reason that this is
not done yet.

Best regards
Janko


--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's challenge
Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great prizes
Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the world
http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
_______________________________________________
Swazoo-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/swazoo-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Licensing - LGPL for good?

Bruce Badger
On 23/11/2008, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bruce Badger wrote:
>
>  > There has been no further discussion of any kind about changing the
>  > license of Swazoo from LGPL since the summer.
>  >
>  > Have we put all that behind us now?  I do hope so.
>
>
> Yes we do. Now is turn on me to un-merge your part of Swazoo so that we
>  can relicense Swazoo as MIT. As usually a time is a reason that this is
>  not done yet.

Of course, you'll need to "un-merge" the code contributed by any party
for whom you have not obtained explicit permission to make their code
available under your latest preferred license, Janko.

It's a real shame that you could not live with the license originally
chosen for Swazoo, and which attracted contributions from myself,
among others.

Your campaign has been such a waste of time, especially since you
could have instead simply started using an existing MIT licensed HTTP
library such as Comanche, rather than messing with Swazoo.

--
Make the most of your skills - with OpenSkills
http://www.openskills.org/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's challenge
Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great prizes
Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the world
http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
_______________________________________________
Swazoo-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/swazoo-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Licensing - LGPL for good?

Janko Mivšek
Bruce Badger wrote:

> On 23/11/2008, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Bruce Badger wrote:
>>
>>  > There has been no further discussion of any kind about changing the
>>  > license of Swazoo from LGPL since the summer.
>>  >
>>  > Have we put all that behind us now?  I do hope so.
>>
>>
>> Yes we do. Now is turn on me to un-merge your part of Swazoo so that we
>>  can relicense Swazoo as MIT. As usually a time is a reason that this is
>>  not done yet.
>
> Of course, you'll need to "un-merge" the code contributed by any party
> for whom you have not obtained explicit permission to make their code
> available under your latest preferred license, Janko.
>
> It's a real shame that you could not live with the license originally
> chosen for Swazoo, and which attracted contributions from myself,
> among others.
>
> Your campaign has been such a waste of time, especially since you
> could have instead simply started using an existing MIT licensed HTTP
> library such as Comanche, rather than messing with Swazoo.

Change to MIT was confirmed from other Swazoo contributors as well and
you made also your decision so please, let this matter stays closed.

Changing Swazoo to MIT will allow its broadest acceptance in Smalltalk
community and this is main and agreed reason from the Swazoo community
as well. So this is my last statement about the license issue and I urge
you to stop this debate too. Because it is finished.

Janko



--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's challenge
Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great prizes
Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the world
http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
_______________________________________________
Swazoo-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/swazoo-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Licensing - LGPL for good?

Paolo Bonzini-2

> Change to MIT was confirmed from other Swazoo contributors as well and
> you made also your decision so please, let this matter stays closed.

I must say that I agreed only because my changes covered a couple of bug
fixes and that was it.  Otherwise I would have not acknowledged the
change *just because of the very way it was handled*.

Paolo


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's challenge
Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great prizes
Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the world
http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
_______________________________________________
Swazoo-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/swazoo-devel
Loading...