Limited Functionality in Helios' CodeMirror?

Limited Functionality in Helios' CodeMirror?

horrido
Am I right that CodeMirror's functionality is severely curtailed in Helios? I found that I can't do, for example, Search and Replace–the keyboard shortcut doesn't work. A number of other functions are also ignored.

Re: Limited Functionality in Helios' CodeMirror?

Herby Vojčík
As for me, I can't say; perhaps Nicolas or Philippe Back could tell more, they did some Helios coding, maybe Cc to them directly.

Herby

Richard Eng wrote:

> Am I right that CodeMirror's functionality is severely curtailed in
> Helios? I found that I can't do, for example, Search and Replace–the
> keyboard shortcut doesn't work. A number of other functions are also
> ignored.

Re: Limited Functionality in Helios' CodeMirror?

horrido
Philippe says he never worked with key bindings, and Nico simply passed the buck back to you! ;-)

So I gather you don't use Helios' CodeMirror functions much. So far, neither have I. However, Search and Replace would be awfully useful. Is there really no way to do Search and Replace in Helios??? (Or even Search!)

Manually doing Search and Replace is such a royal pain.

Richard Eng wrote:

> Am I right that CodeMirror's functionality is severely curtailed in
> Helios? I found that I can't do, for example, Search and Replace–the
> keyboard shortcut doesn't work. A number of other functions are also
> ignored.

Re: Limited Functionality in Helios' CodeMirror?

Herby Vojčík
Well, I don't know Helios nor CodeMirror. Helios is in this unhappy position that it needs a champion, but no one takes the position. I called out for the "Helios master" already long ago, but community is not big enough for one to be found :-( I haven't the resource to take the position, there is enough work in the core Amber itself (not to mention another lot of work in documentation).

Herby

Richard Eng wrote:

> Philippe says he never worked with key bindings, and Nico simply
> passed the buck back to you! ;-)
>
> So I gather you don't use Helios' CodeMirror functions much. So far,
> neither have I. *However, Search and Replace would be awfully useful.*
> Is there really no way to do Search and Replace in Helios??? (Or even
> Search!)
>
> Manually doing Search and Replace is such a royal pain.
>

> On Tuesday, 14 July 2015 15:25:21 UTC-4, Herby wrote:
>
>     As for me, I can't say; perhaps Nicolas or Philippe Back could
>     tell more, they did some Helios coding,
maybe Cc to them directly.

>     Herby
>
>     Richard Eng wrote:
>     > Am I right that CodeMirror's functionality is severely curtailed in
>     > Helios? I found that I can't do, for example, Search and
>     Replace–the
>     > keyboard shortcut doesn't work. A number of other functions are
>     also
>     > ignored.
>     >
>     > --
>     > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>     > Groups "amber-lang" group.
>     > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from
>     it, send
>     > an email to [hidden email] <javascript:>
>     > <mailto:[hidden email] <javascript:>>.

Re: Limited Functionality in Helios' CodeMirror?

Nicolas Petton-3
Richard Eng <[hidden email]> writes:

> Philippe says he never worked with key bindings, and Nico simply passed the
> buck back to you! ;-)

I'm unfortunately not working on Amber at the moment.  The code for
handling CodeMirror is very straightforward though, so if you want you
can have a look at the following methods:

HLCodeWidget class >> setupKeyMaps and HLCodeWidget class >> keyMap.

Upon initialization (see #initialize) of the widget class, the keymap is
set using these methods.  Depending on the platform, the appropriate
keymap will be set in codemirror, under the name "Amber", and later used
by widget instances (see HLCodeWidget >> editorOptions and its senders).

So, be sure to adapt both keymaps (see #pcKeyMap and #macKeyMap)if you
want to make improvements.

HTH,
Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Limited Functionality in Helios' CodeMirror?

horrido
Mystery solved. All of CodeMirror's key bindings work, except for Cmd-Alt-F ('replace') and Shift-Cmd-Alt-F ('replaceAll'). In other words, the only things I can't do in the Helios editor are Replace and Search-and-Replace.

The reason for this is that, on the Mac, the OS captures Cmd-Alt-F for its own purposes. We cannot override that key binding.

So now the question is:  How to fix it? What alternative key bindings would be appropriate for these two functions?

Richard Eng wrote:

> Am I right that CodeMirror's functionality is severely curtailed in
> Helios? I found that I can't do, for example, Search and Replace–the
> keyboard shortcut doesn't work. A number of other functions are also
> ignored.

> an email to [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>.

Re: Limited Functionality in Helios' CodeMirror?

horrido
Just out of curiosity, I decided to check the PC key bindings for Helios. So I went into Windows and installed Amber. I found another oddity...

The PC key binding for 'Find' is Ctrl-F. However, the same binding is used for the Helios 'Search' function, which looks up Amber classes/methods/etc. In other words, I can't use Ctrl-F to find text in the editor.

How can this be? Didn't anyone put any thought into this?

Richard Eng wrote:

> Am I right that CodeMirror's functionality is severely curtailed in
> Helios? I found that I can't do, for example, Search and Replace–the
> keyboard shortcut doesn't work. A number of other functions are also
> ignored.

> an email to [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>.

Re: Limited Functionality in Helios' CodeMirror?

philippeback
Add to it that various browsers do not hijack the same shortcuts...

That's the reason for that prefix keybinding in all things Helios...

Phil

Richard Eng wrote:

> Am I right that CodeMirror's functionality is severely curtailed in
> Helios? I found that I can't do, for example, Search and Replace–the
> keyboard shortcut doesn't work. A number of other functions are also
> ignored.

Re: Limited Functionality in Helios' CodeMirror?

horrido
I propose the following...

On the Mac,
  • replace Cmd-Alt-F with Shift-Ctrl-Q (for 'replace')
  • replace Shift-Cmd-Alt-F with Shift-Ctrl-R (for 'replaceAll') – this would at least be consistent with the PC
On the PC,
  • replace Ctrl-F with Ctrl-R (for 'find')
AFAICT, this should enable the above functionality for all browsers and all platforms. (But I can't test this because I don't know how to rebuild Amber and use it.)

Of course, these new commands break with the known pattern of key bindings, but it can't be helped. If other software is hijacking some of these bindings, we don't have any choice.

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 5:25 AM, Richard Eng <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">horrido...@...> wrote:

Richard Eng wrote:

> Am I right that CodeMirror's functionality is severely curtailed in
> Helios? I found that I can't do, for example, Search and Replace–the
> keyboard shortcut doesn't work. A number of other functions are also
> ignored.

> an email to [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>.

Re: Limited Functionality in Helios' CodeMirror?

philippeback

I am on holidays for a couple weeks. I'll be abke to look into these things :-)

[hidden email] wrote:

> I am on holidays for a couple weeks. I'll be abke to look into these
> things :-)
>
> Le 17 juil. 2015 14:24, "Richard Eng" <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> a écrit :
>
>     I propose the following...
>
>     On the Mac,
>
>       * replace Cmd-Alt-F with Shift-Ctrl-Q (for 'replace')
>       * replace Shift-Cmd-Alt-F with Shift-Ctrl-R (for 'replaceAll') –
>         this would at least be consistent with the PC
>
>     On the PC,
>
>       * replace Ctrl-F with Ctrl-R (for 'find')

Ctrl+F is not a problem of a browser hijacking, AFAICT. For example the
github internal editor uses Ctrl+F for its own purposes if it has focus,
otherwise the browser's one gets the action.

So, it's probably more about in-Helios consensus of what/when to use for
internal find in editor itself vs. access to global search in magic
search box (different ones, same one but based on having focus in editor
or not).

> [...]
>                          > Am I right that CodeMirror's functionality is
>                         severely curtailed in
>                          > Helios? I found that I can't do, for example,
>                         Search and Replace–the
>                          > keyboard shortcut doesn't work. A number of
>                         other functions are also
>                          > ignored.
>                          >
>                          > --
>                          > You received this message because you are
>                         subscribed to the Google
>                          > Groups "amber-lang" group.
>                          > To unsubscribe from this group and stop
>                         receiving emails from it, send
>                          > an email to [hidden email]
>                          >
>                         <mailto:[hidden email]>.
>                          > For more options, visit
>                         https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>
>             --

Re: Limited Functionality in Helios' CodeMirror?

Interestingly, it seems Helios itself is hijacking the 'replace' and 'replaceAll' bindings! On the Mac, I tested the following webpage in Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and Safari, and it works in all the browsers...

https://codemirror.net/demo/search.html

But in Helios, the same key bindings don't work. WTF.

Richard Eng wrote:

> Am I right that CodeMirror's functionality is severely curtailed in
> Helios? I found that I can't do, for example, Search and Replace–the
> keyboard shortcut doesn't work. A number of other functions are also
> ignored.

> an email to [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>.

Re: Limited Functionality in Helios' CodeMirror?

Nicolas Petton-3
Hi Richard,

In this thread, you wrote:

> How can this be? Didn't anyone put any thought into this?

and

> But in Helios, the same key bindings don't work. WTF.

Please keep judgmental and emotional thoughts to yourself, and avoid
being offensive on this mailing-list.

Cheers,
Nico

Re: Limited Functionality in Helios' CodeMirror?

horrido
You're quite right. I apologize.

Regards,
Richard

On 17 July 2015 at 13:03, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Richard,

In this thread, you wrote:

> How can this be? Didn't anyone put any thought into this?

and

> But in Helios, the same key bindings don't work. WTF.

Please keep judgmental and emotional thoughts to yourself, and avoid
being offensive on this mailing-list.

Cheers,
Nico

Re: Limited Functionality in Helios' CodeMirror?

Amber Smalltalk mailing list

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 2:24 PM, Richard Eng <[hidden email]> wrote:
I propose the following...

On the Mac,
  • replace Cmd-Alt-F with Shift-Ctrl-Q (for 'replace')
  • replace Shift-Cmd-Alt-F with Shift-Ctrl-R (for 'replaceAll') – this would at least be consistent with the PC
key combos for commands usually start with the Cmd key on OS X.
Now, I don't remember the other key bindings right now, but I guess that changing Cmd to Ctrl could weird out a lot of OS X users.

Best,
Manfred

  • On the PC,
  • replace Ctrl-F with Ctrl-R (for 'find')
AFAICT, this should enable the above functionality for all browsers and all platforms. (But I can't test this because I don't know how to rebuild Amber and use it.)

Of course, these new commands break with the known pattern of key bindings, but it can't be helped. If other software is hijacking some of these bindings, we don't have any choice.

Re: Limited Functionality in Helios' CodeMirror?

horrido
I've opened a bug at Github: https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/helios/issues/69

Note that I've not tried all the CodeMirror key bindings. For all I know, there may be others that are not available.

Le 17 juil. 2015 14:24, "Richard Eng" <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="AbjWYeHPTxsJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">horrido...@...> a écrit :