Linux-VW for ARM

Dietmar Schielke
Hello Squeakers,

I want to deploy a Seaside 3.0 application on a NAS-Systems (D-LINK 323 and QNAP TS419 PII at the moment) with arm-processors.

Does anybody know, where to get a squeak-VM for these systems?

Or as an option - Where should I start reading about building my own VM for these systems? I'm a little bit confused about the intended way.
There is squeakvm.org,  https://gitorious.org/cogvm, a Unix-VM build script, Jenkins....
I searched the wiki with no success.

Thanks in advance!

Dietmar

Re: Linux-VW for ARM

David T. Lewis
On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 04:57:29PM +0200, Dietmar Schielke wrote:

> Hello Squeakers,
>
> I want to deploy a Seaside 3.0 application on a NAS-Systems (D-LINK 323
> and QNAP TS419 PII at the moment) with arm-processors.
>
> Does anybody know, where to get a squeak-VM for these systems?
>
> Or as an option - Where should I start reading about building my own VM
> for these systems? I'm a little bit confused about the intended way.
> There is squeakvm.org,  https://gitorious.org/cogvm, a Unix-VM build
> script, Jenkins....
> I searched the wiki with no success.

There are, for better or for worse, several ways to do it. The standard
unix VM would be a suitable choice, and build information is on squeakvm.org
at http://squeakvm.org/unix/devel.html.

There is not yet a jit-enabled VM for ARM (i.e. Cog) but you can build
a StackVM, and several people have reported success on this (I don't have
the links so hopefully someone else can do so). The StackVM provides the
underpinnings of Cog and does provide some performance benefits, although
not yet the actual high-performance jit (but work is under way on that also).

There is also a vm-dev mailing list, so if you have more questions
please feel free to ask there.

Dave

Re: Linux-VW for ARM

Frank Shearar-3
On 24 October 2012 16:22, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 04:57:29PM +0200, Dietmar Schielke wrote:
>> Hello Squeakers,
>>
>> I want to deploy a Seaside 3.0 application on a NAS-Systems (D-LINK 323
>> and QNAP TS419 PII at the moment) with arm-processors.
>>
>> Does anybody know, where to get a squeak-VM for these systems?
>>
>> Or as an option - Where should I start reading about building my own VM
>> for these systems? I'm a little bit confused about the intended way.
>> There is squeakvm.org,  https://gitorious.org/cogvm, a Unix-VM build
>> script, Jenkins....
>> I searched the wiki with no success.
>
> There are, for better or for worse, several ways to do it. The standard
> unix VM would be a suitable choice, and build information is on squeakvm.org
> at http://squeakvm.org/unix/devel.html.
>
> There is not yet a jit-enabled VM for ARM (i.e. Cog) but you can build
> a StackVM, and several people have reported success on this (I don't have
> the links so hopefully someone else can do so). The StackVM provides the
> underpinnings of Cog and does provide some performance benefits, although
> not yet the actual high-performance jit (but work is under way on that also).

I set up my Raspberry Pi several months ago so I've forgotten how or
what I did. However, I _did_ very easily get Squeak running on it, so
it can't have been hard or I'd have remembered the pain.

frank

> There is also a vm-dev mailing list, so if you have more questions
> please feel free to ask there.
>
> Dave

Antwort: Re: [squeak-dev] Linux-VW for ARM

Dietmar Schielke
Hallo Dave,

thanks for your help!

I'll try to build a Unix-VM as you suggested.

Dietmar

Von:        "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]>
An:        The general-purpose Squeak developers list <[hidden email]>,
Datum:        24.10.2012 17:22
Betreff:        Re: [squeak-dev] Linux-VW for ARM
Gesendet von:        [hidden email]

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 04:57:29PM +0200, Dietmar Schielke wrote:
> Hello Squeakers,
>
> I want to deploy a Seaside 3.0 application on a NAS-Systems (D-LINK 323
> and QNAP TS419 PII at the moment) with arm-processors.
>
> Does anybody know, where to get a squeak-VM for these systems?
>
> Or as an option - Where should I start reading about building my own VM
> for these systems? I'm a little bit confused about the intended way.
> There is squeakvm.org,
https://gitorious.org/cogvm, a Unix-VM build
> script, Jenkins....
> I searched the wiki with no success.

There are, for better or for worse, several ways to do it. The standard
unix VM would be a suitable choice, and build information is on squeakvm.org
at
http://squeakvm.org/unix/devel.html.

There is not yet a jit-enabled VM for ARM (i.e. Cog) but you can build
a StackVM, and several people have reported success on this (I don't have
the links so hopefully someone else can do so). The StackVM provides the
underpinnings of Cog and does provide some performance benefits, although
not yet the actual high-performance jit (but work is under way on that also).

There is also a vm-dev mailing list, so if you have more questions
please feel free to ask there.

Dave

Antwort: Re: [squeak-dev] Linux-VW for ARM

Dietmar Schielke
Hello Frank,

yes I think there are some Squeaks in the App repositories of some linux distributions that are compiled for ARM too. Maybe you used one of them and didn't have to compile it by yourself.
 I tried one on my NAS, but it crashed with a segmantation fault. Also I think they are quite old and newer Squeak images need a newer VM. But I'm not shure, I think where was some thing like closure VM or so.

Thanks,

Dietmar

Von:        Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>
An:        The general-purpose Squeak developers list <[hidden email]>,