Linux packaging

Annick
Has anyone tried packaging an image under linux using only scripts ?

Annick

Re: Linux packaging

Randy Coulman
Hi, Annick,

I've done quite a bit of this.  Can you provide a bit more detail about what you're looking for?

Randy

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 1:58 AM, Annick Fron <[hidden email]> wrote:
Has anyone tried packaging an image under linux using only scripts ?

Annick

Randy Coulman
Email: [hidden email]
Home: http://randycoulman.com
Twitter: @randycoulman      GitHub: randycoulman

Re: Linux packaging

Annick
Hi Randy,

I just want to package my fencing sport software for linux. But I don’t like RuntimePackager. For windows, you need to use reshacker, for Mac, there is Georg Heeg’s document, but for linux there is nothing. So I was just wondering.

On windows I use some scripts from James Robertson, but I don’t know how to use them in Linux.
I have a number of commands, for instance to invalidate some key entries.

Annick
Le 25 avr. 2015 à 20:00, Randy Coulman <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hi, Annick,

I've done quite a bit of this.  Can you provide a bit more detail about what you're looking for?

Randy

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 1:58 AM, Annick Fron <[hidden email]> wrote:
Has anyone tried packaging an image under linux using only scripts ?

Annick

Randy Coulman
Email: [hidden email]
Home: http://randycoulman.com
Twitter: @randycoulman      GitHub: randycoulman

Re: Linux packaging

Randy Coulman
Hi Annick,

I don't think there's a way to just package up a single executable that contains the VM and image.

Mostly what I've done is create a reusable base image using RuntimePackager (but without stripping anything), and then distributing parcels with that image and a VM.  I then provide a shell script that runs everything.

The mechanisms I use to create the base image and to deploy the parcels from Store could be adapted to creating an image with everything loaded.

If that's of interest to you, let me know, and I'll put something together for you.

Randy

--
Randy Coulman
Email: [hidden email]
Home: http://randycoulman.com
Twitter: @randycoulman      GitHub: randycoulman

Re: Linux packaging

Paul Baumann

>> I don't think there's a way to just package up a single executable that contains the VM and image.

I use a combination of Windows/DOS scripts and Smalltalk scripts to create a runtime image and package all required files into a self-extracting zip file. A single exe file is distributed. When executed it will extract the full tree of files to whatever directory it is run in. To create a self extracting zip file you use the DOS copy command to combine an unzipsfx.exe file with the zip file:

                copy /Y /b "%RunDir%unzipsfx.exe"+buildTemp.zip "Extract_%BuildName%.exe"

I use unzipsfx.exe because it was the best option at the time and did everthing I needed. By now there are probably exes that can do more (like perhaps run scripts that are extracted so that it can behave as a full installation program).

Cincom could change their VM files to first attempt to use an image file that had been appended to the VM exe. That simple change makes it possible for single-exe deliverables that don't require extraction first. It is a suggestion that I'd made years ago, so with any luck that is already a feature of newer VW releases.

Paul Baumann

[...]

This message may contain confidential information and is intended for specific recipients unless explicitly noted otherwise. If you have reason to believe you are not an intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender. This message may not represent the opinion of Intercontinental Exchange, Inc. (ICE), its subsidiaries or affiliates, and does not constitute a contract or guarantee. Unencrypted electronic mail is not secure and the recipient of this message is expected to provide safeguards from viruses and pursue alternate means of communication where privacy or a binding message is desired.

Re: Linux packaging

Maarten Mostert

Humm,

I thought that the official way on Linux was to make .deb or a .rpm package build with appropriate command line tools.

Not easy maybe but doable I think.

Regards,

@+Maarten,

> "Paul Baumann" <[hidden email]> |

>> I don't think there's a way to just package up a single executable that contains the VM and image.

I use a combination of Windows/DOS scripts and Smalltalk scripts to create a runtime image and package all required files into a self-extracting zip file. A single exe file is distributed. When executed it will extract the full tree of files to whatever directory it is run in. To create a self extracting zip file you use the DOS copy command to combine an unzipsfx.exe file with the zip file:

                copy /Y /b "%RunDir%unzipsfx.exe"+buildTemp.zip "Extract_%BuildName%.exe"

I use unzipsfx.exe because it was the best option at the time and did everthing I needed. By now there are probably exes that can do more (like perhaps run scripts that are extracted so that it can behave as a full installation program).

Cincom could change their VM files to first attempt to use an image file that had been appended to the VM exe. That simple change makes it possible for single-exe deliverables that don't require extraction first. It is a suggestion that I'd made years ago, so with any luck that is already a feature of newer VW releases.

Paul Baumann

Re: Linux packaging

Paul Baumann

>> the official way on Linux was to make .deb or a .rpm package

Yes, prefer an official delivery mechanism when practical. Windows has grown to have them too, yet many applications still install through an exe (probably from tradition and for control).

I had mentioned installs and packaging scripts (used for Windows) as an example of how it would be possible to combine VM and image into one file. Being able to deliver a single file (VM+image) helps to make Smalltalk feel more like a traditional compiled executable. It is good enough for most that a VW VM already attempts to use an image file with the same VM filename prefix.

Paul Baumann

I thought that the official way on Linux was to make .deb or a .rpm package build with appropriate command line tools.

Not easy maybe but doable I think.

Regards,

@+Maarten,

> "Paul Baumann" <[hidden email]> |

>> I don't think there's a way to just package up a single executable that contains the VM and image.

I use a combination of Windows/DOS scripts and Smalltalk scripts to create a runtime image and package all required files into a self-extracting zip file. A single exe file is distributed. When executed it will extract the full tree of files to whatever directory it is run in. To create a self extracting zip file you use the DOS copy command to combine an unzipsfx.exe file with the zip file:

                copy /Y /b "%RunDir%unzipsfx.exe"+buildTemp.zip "Extract_%BuildName%.exe"

I use unzipsfx.exe because it was the best option at the time and did everthing I needed. By now there are probably exes that can do more (like perhaps run scripts that are extracted so that it can behave as a full installation program).

Cincom could change their VM files to first attempt to use an image file that had been appended to the VM exe. That simple change makes it possible for single-exe deliverables that don't require extraction first. It is a suggestion that I'd made years ago, so with any luck that is already a feature of newer VW releases.

Paul Baumann

Re: Linux packaging

Maarten Mostert-2
Annick,

I just found this in my book marks, claims to be gui based package manager for linux.

@+Maarten,