Linux (ubuntu) quick install recipe

1 message Options

Linux (ubuntu) quick install recipe

stack
This may be obvious, but may save someone an hour of headaches:

Install pharo 3.0 like this:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pharo/stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install pharo-launcher

After this, you can use the pharo VM just by typing 'pharo-vm-x
Cuis4.2-2009.image' (or whatever current image of Cuis).

'pharo' by itself invokes the pharo launcher that lets you select an
image.  Unless you place the Cuis image in the proper pharo directory, the
launcher will not see it... I just use pharo-vm-x, the actual executable
that is in the path.

Earlier I made the mistake of installing squeak via apt-get, and that
brings in a really outdated vm (which kind of worked but had screen redraw
problems).