Linux vm packages

NorbertHartl
Can we change linux installation instructions on the web site? I can't believe they aren't there, yet. Here is the description.

This describes what to do for some linux distributions not only ubuntu. In the mail there are opensuse URLs. The all contain the word "latest" which means the development version. If this is exchanged with "stable" you get the stable version. The rest stays the same.

I really should have checked this. Because it is just stupid that people spend a lot of work into that and it is not used nor published.

If I can help please say so!!!!

Norbert

Re: Linux vm packages

Marcus Denker-4
I can edit the website, I can put al needed infos there.

(but sometimes I am not be able to generate actions out of discussions on the mailing list,
there is just so much going on… so if something does not happen this just means I do
not know that it should happen…)

On 26 Nov 2017, at 13:52, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

Can we change linux installation instructions on the web site? I can't believe they aren't there, yet. Here is the description.

This describes what to do for some linux distributions not only ubuntu. In the mail there are opensuse URLs. The all contain the word "latest" which means the development version. If this is exchanged with "stable" you get the stable version. The rest stays the same.

I really should have checked this. Because it is just stupid that people spend a lot of work into that and it is not used nor published.

If I can help please say so!!!!

Norbert

Re: Linux vm packages

Marcus Denker-4
I have added the information to the 64bit download page for now (the other comes next).

I wonder if we continue to announce a “default download” (the zip) if it is much easier to use these?

On 27 Nov 2017, at 09:22, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

CyrilFerlicot
On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 5:15 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have added the information to the 64bit download page for now (the other
> comes next).
>
> http://pharo.org/web/gnu-linux-installation-64
>
> I wonder if we continue to announce a “default download” (the zip) if it is
> much easier to use these?

I am just wondering,

What if I use zero conf to get my 32bits vm?

Will I be able to follow the instructions of the page, then dl and use
a vm via zero conf without installing extra dependencies?

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

http://www.synectique.eu
2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: Linux vm packages

Marcus Denker-4

> On 12 Dec 2017, at 17:32, Cyril Ferlicot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 5:15 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have added the information to the 64bit download page for now (the other
>> comes next).
>>
>> http://pharo.org/web/gnu-linux-installation-64
>>
>> I wonder if we continue to announce a “default download” (the zip) if it is
>> much easier to use these?
>>

> I am just wondering,
>
> What if I use zero conf to get my 32bits vm?
>
> Will I be able to follow the instructions of the page, then dl and use
> a vm via zero conf without installing extra dependencies?

That is the problem: you need to install all the 32bit libraries first.
Same for running what is now called the “default download” 32 bit
on current Linux.

This makes is quite hard to explain…

        Marcus

Re: Linux vm packages

Marcus Denker-4
Him

Thanks to Cyril Ferlicot the 32 bit page now a description for Fedora Linux:

https://pharo.org/gnu-linux-installation

> On 12 Dec 2017, at 17:15, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have added the information to the 64bit download page for now (the other comes next).
>
> http://pharo.org/web/gnu-linux-installation-64
>
> I wonder if we continue to announce a “default download” (the zip) if it is much easier to use these?
>
>> On 27 Nov 2017, at 09:22, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I can edit the website, I can put al needed infos there.
>>
>> (but sometimes I am not be able to generate actions out of discussions on the mailing list,
>> there is just so much going on… so if something does not happen this just means I do
>> not know that it should happen…)
>>
>>> On 26 Nov 2017, at 13:52, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Can we change linux installation instructions on the web site? I can't believe they aren't there, yet. Here is the description.
>>>
>>> http://forum.world.st/Latest-Debian-Ubuntu-and-CentOS-packages-of-the-pharo-vm-td4962000.html
>>>
>>> This describes what to do for some linux distributions not only ubuntu. In the mail there are opensuse URLs. The all contain the word "latest" which means the development version. If this is exchanged with "stable" you get the stable version. The rest stays the same.
>>>
>>> I really should have checked this. Because it is just stupid that people spend a lot of work into that and it is not used nor published.
>>>
>>> If I can help please say so!!!!
>>>
>>> Norbert

Re: Linux vm packages

Stephane Ducasse-3
Someone install and using Pharo on Linux should maintain this page.
I would simply remove it because this is just a pain to maintain a
description for system that we cannot even
use.

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 1:52 PM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can we change linux installation instructions on the web site? I can't
> believe they aren't there, yet. Here is the description.
>
> http://forum.world.st/Latest-Debian-Ubuntu-and-CentOS-packages-of-the-pharo-vm-td4962000.html
>
> This describes what to do for some linux distributions not only ubuntu. In
> the mail there are opensuse URLs. The all contain the word "latest" which
> means the development version. If this is exchanged with "stable" you get
> the stable version. The rest stays the same.
>
> I really should have checked this. Because it is just stupid that people
> spend a lot of work into that and it is not used nor published.
>
> If I can help please say so!!!!
>
> Norbert

Re: Linux vm packages

NorbertHartl
What do you mean with that? Sounds inadequate to me!!

 Norbert

> Am 21.12.2017 um 21:17 schrieb Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>
> Someone install and using Pharo on Linux should maintain this page.
> I would simply remove it because this is just a pain to maintain a
> description for system that we cannot even
> use.
>

>> On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 1:52 PM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Can we change linux installation instructions on the web site? I can't
>> believe they aren't there, yet. Here is the description.
>>
>> http://forum.world.st/Latest-Debian-Ubuntu-and-CentOS-packages-of-the-pharo-vm-td4962000.html
>>
>> This describes what to do for some linux distributions not only ubuntu. In
>> the mail there are opensuse URLs. The all contain the word "latest" which
>> means the development version. If this is exchanged with "stable" you get
>> the stable version. The rest stays the same.
>>
>> I really should have checked this. Because it is just stupid that people
>> spend a lot of work into that and it is not used nor published.
>>
>> If I can help please say so!!!!
>>
>> Norbert

Re: Linux vm packages

CyrilFerlicot
Le 21/12/2017 à 21:17, Stephane Ducasse a écrit :
> Someone install and using Pharo on Linux should maintain this page.
> I would simply remove it because this is just a pain to maintain a
> description for system that we cannot even
> use.

This is one of the most important page of the website for those using
linux but who are not pros.

It saved me a lot of time when I installed my debian server and I lost
time after installing a Fedora because the instructions were not there.
And I was lucky to find a part of the infos on internet.

Even if the infos are not always up to date or totally correct, it is
still a huge help.

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

http://www.synectique.eu
2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: Linux vm packages

Marcus Denker-4
I have done all the changes last week.

> On 21 Dec 2017, at 21:17, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Someone install and using Pharo on Linux should maintain this page.
> I would simply remove it because this is just a pain to maintain a
> description for system that we cannot even
> use.
>

> On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 1:52 PM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Can we change linux installation instructions on the web site? I can't
>> believe they aren't there, yet. Here is the description.
>>
>> http://forum.world.st/Latest-Debian-Ubuntu-and-CentOS-packages-of-the-pharo-vm-td4962000.html
>>
>> This describes what to do for some linux distributions not only ubuntu. In
>> the mail there are opensuse URLs. The all contain the word "latest" which
>> means the development version. If this is exchanged with "stable" you get
>> the stable version. The rest stays the same.
>>
>> I really should have checked this. Because it is just stupid that people
>> spend a lot of work into that and it is not used nor published.
>>
>> If I can help please say so!!!!
>>
>> Norbert

Re: Linux vm packages

Stephane Ducasse-3
Let us make clear what I think!

What I mean is that we are losing OUR/MY time maintaining information
for versions that we
cannot even run and the information is all the time obsolete. Because
let us face it
with the millions different configurations what is the probability
that it will be up to date?
Each time I have students, this information is obsolete or not working
on their specific
version.

Don't you all think that Marcus could concentrate better on making a
pass on Opal
if he would not have to split his time into many small details?

So if you want to help then perfect. I think that having a travis job
and extracting the information
from the job would be a lot better process.

Like a test and a method comment. **EXECUTABLE** and **TESTED**.

Stef

On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 7:52 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have done all the changes last week.
>
>> On 21 Dec 2017, at 21:17, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Someone install and using Pharo on Linux should maintain this page.
>> I would simply remove it because this is just a pain to maintain a
>> description for system that we cannot even
>> use.
>>

>> On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 1:52 PM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Can we change linux installation instructions on the web site? I can't
>>> believe they aren't there, yet. Here is the description.
>>>
>>> http://forum.world.st/Latest-Debian-Ubuntu-and-CentOS-packages-of-the-pharo-vm-td4962000.html
>>>
>>> This describes what to do for some linux distributions not only ubuntu. In
>>> the mail there are opensuse URLs. The all contain the word "latest" which
>>> means the development version. If this is exchanged with "stable" you get
>>> the stable version. The rest stays the same.
>>>
>>> I really should have checked this. Because it is just stupid that people
>>> spend a lot of work into that and it is not used nor published.
>>>
>>> If I can help please say so!!!!
>>>
>>> Norbert

Re: Linux vm packages

Stephane Ducasse-3
> I have done all the changes last week.

And then it does not satisfy me because... read the other mail.

>> On 21 Dec 2017, at 21:17, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Someone install and using Pharo on Linux should maintain this page.
>> I would simply remove it because this is just a pain to maintain a
>> description for system that we cannot even
>> use.
>>

>> On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 1:52 PM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Can we change linux installation instructions on the web site? I can't
>>> believe they aren't there, yet. Here is the description.
>>>
>>> http://forum.world.st/Latest-Debian-Ubuntu-and-CentOS-packages-of-the-pharo-vm-td4962000.html
>>>
>>> This describes what to do for some linux distributions not only ubuntu. In
>>> the mail there are opensuse URLs. The all contain the word "latest" which
>>> means the development version. If this is exchanged with "stable" you get
>>> the stable version. The rest stays the same.
>>>
>>> I really should have checked this. Because it is just stupid that people
>>> spend a lot of work into that and it is not used nor published.
>>>
>>> If I can help please say so!!!!
>>>
>>> Norbert

Re: Linux vm packages

NorbertHartl

> Am 22.12.2017 um 08:03 schrieb Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>
> Let us make clear what I think!
>
> What I mean is that we are losing OUR/MY time maintaining information
> for versions that we
> cannot even run and the information is all the time obsolete. Because
> let us face it
> with the millions different configurations what is the probability
> that it will be up to date?
> Each time I have students, this information is obsolete or not working
> on their specific
> version.

There is no need to exaggerate if you have real point.
We did this linux move (to opensuse) in order to make the situation better. With this it is easy to install the vm on linux. There is not much magic. The only point is that Holger wrote the initial description which was incomplete. I corrected the version and sent it to the mailing list but it didn‘t make it to the website for too long. Now there is one or two corrections not much. The installation instruction will change every time a new linux version comes out.
> Don't you all think that Marcus could concentrate better on making a
> pass on Opal
> if he would not have to split his time into many small details?

That is exactly the same for everyone here!!

> So if you want to help then perfect. I think that having a travis job
> and extracting the information
> from the job would be a lot better process.
>
> Like a test and a method comment. **EXECUTABLE** and **TESTED**.

Ok then you should describe how this process works and where we can use it. If this process does not exist I‘m not sure what you trying to tell...

Norbert