Live Ruby on rails tutorial sites

12

Live Ruby on rails tutorial sites

LawsonEnglish
This is the kind of thing that seaside needs to have to attract more
people.

http://railsforzombies.org/

Lawson

Re: Live Ruby on rails tutorial sites

Philippe Marschall
2012/1/23 Lawson English <[hidden email]>:
> This is the kind of thing that seaside needs to have to attract more people.
>
> http://railsforzombies.org/

We though about this several times and it's really hard to do without
giving people complete control over the image which in turn will give
them user rights on the server.

Cheers
Philippe

RE: Live Ruby on rails tutorial sites

Robert Sirois
What about Amber? And then just limit the classes that are ever shown to the user and delete them after the session times out or whatever?

RS

> Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 19:25:08 +0100
> Subject: Re: [Seaside] Live Ruby on rails tutorial sites
> From: philippe.marschall@gmail.com
> To: lenglish5@cox.net; seaside@lists.squeakfoundation.org
>
> 2012/1/23 Lawson English <lenglish5@cox.net>:
> > This is the kind of thing that seaside needs to have to attract more people.
> >
> > http://railsforzombies.org/
>
> We though about this several times and it's really hard to do without
> giving people complete control over the image which in turn will give
> them user rights on the server.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

RE: Live Ruby on rails tutorial sites

Robert Sirois
Or DabbleDB style hehe. Worlds biggest backend for a tutorial website lol.

2012/1/23 Robert Sirois <[hidden email]>:
> What about Amber?

Amber doesn't run Seaside.

> And then just limit the classes that are ever shown to the
> user and delete them after the session times out or whatever?

Ce n'est pas si facile que ça.

(1 perform: ('cla', 'ss') asSymbol) environment at: ('Comp', 'iler') asSymbol

And again, you give the web app user the full rights of the OS user
that runs the image. Deleting the code that owned you after the
session times out doesn't solve a thing once you've been owned. It
also doesn't help if two users at the same time want to work on a
class named 'Test' or 'MyClass' or 'Example'.

Cheers
Philippe

RE: Live Ruby on rails tutorial sites

Robert Sirois
Aw too bad then. I think some of the book resources out there are good enough. I remember when I was learning that I just didn't understand the scope of everything, and there wasn't a nicely illustrated graph of the api or anything. Of course, I picked seaside and smalltalk with very little programming experience to learn at the same time hehe.

RS

> Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 21:05:07 +0100
> Subject: Re: [Seaside] Live Ruby on rails tutorial sites
> From: philippe.marschall@gmail.com
> To: seaside@lists.squeakfoundation.org
>
> 2012/1/23 Robert Sirois <watchlala@hotmail.com>:
> > What about Amber?
>
> Amber doesn't run Seaside.
>
> > And then just limit the classes that are ever shown to the
> > user and delete them after the session times out or whatever?
>
> Ce n'est pas si facile que ça.
>
> (1 perform: ('cla', 'ss') asSymbol) environment at: ('Comp', 'iler') asSymbol
>
> And again, you give the web app user the full rights of the OS user
> that runs the image. Deleting the code that owned you after the
> session times out doesn't solve a thing once you've been owned. It
> also doesn't help if two users at the same time want to work on a
> class named 'Test' or 'MyClass' or 'Example'.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

Re: Live Ruby on rails tutorial sites

fstephany
If I remember well, Bernat showed something like this at ESUG 2011.
Don't know how they solve the security problems (if solved)...

On 23/01/12 09:12, Lawson English wrote:

> This is the kind of thing that seaside needs to have to attract more
> people.
>
> http://railsforzombies.org/
>

> Lawson

http://tulipemoutarde.be
BE: +32 (0)65 709 131
CA: +1 778 558 3225

Re: Live Ruby on rails tutorial sites

Göran Krampe
Hi all!

On 01/23/2012 09:05 PM, Philippe Marschall wrote:
> 2012/1/23 Robert Sirois<[hidden email]>:
>> What about Amber?
>
> Amber doesn't run Seaside.

True, but Amber does have a similar Canvas API and Widget is similar to
WAComponent in its role etc. So yes, definitely *not* the same thing -
but if the goal is to attract people to the "Smalltalk arena" of web
apps it is still a good thing to have.

And with Amber there is no problem letting the users go berzerk - it's
all on the client side anyway, and one can use local storage etc to make
sure stuff is not "lost".

But again - not Seaside. But similar. ;)

regards, Göran

PS. I love Seaside and Iliad etc, but for me personally it's all about
client side now. We are using javascript with the help from Nicolas to
build a full "fat" HTML5 client for a customer. And for a personal
project I am going "all Amber" for the client. The server then gets
transformed into a "RPC backend". And for that, one can use a multitude
of technology, with Socket.io being the "sexiest".

Re: Live Ruby on rails tutorial sites

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
makes sense.

Question Goran:
what would be the preferred persistent method in such apps?

o/

2012/1/24 Göran Krampe <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all!
>

> On 01/23/2012 09:05 PM, Philippe Marschall wrote:
>>
>> 2012/1/23 Robert Sirois<[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> What about Amber?
>>

>> Amber doesn't run Seaside.
>

> True, but Amber does have a similar Canvas API and Widget is similar to
> WAComponent in its role etc. So yes, definitely *not* the same thing - but
> if the goal is to attract people to the "Smalltalk arena" of web apps it is
> still a good thing to have.
>
> And with Amber there is no problem letting the users go berzerk - it's all
> on the client side anyway, and one can use local storage etc to make sure
> stuff is not "lost".

Sure, then we're talking about running Amber in the browser with is
totally fine and doesn't have any of the issues as giving a random
user control over a Smalltalk image on the server.

> But again - not Seaside. But similar. ;)
>
> regards, Göran
>
> PS. I love Seaside and Iliad etc, but for me personally it's all about
> client side now. We are using javascript with the help from Nicolas to build
> a full "fat" HTML5 client for a customer. And for a personal project I am
> going "all Amber" for the client. The server then gets transformed into a
> "RPC backend". And for that, one can use a multitude of technology, with
> Socket.io being the "sexiest".

Since you're taking this off topic I hope you don't mind if I ask some
questions. What sever do you use? Which "protocol" do you use
(WebSocket, long poll, …)?

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Live Ruby on rails tutorial sites

Nick
Ce n'est pas si facile que ça.

(1 perform: ('cla', 'ss') asSymbol) environment at: ('Comp', 'iler') asSymbol

And again, you give the web app user the full rights of the OS user
that runs the image. Deleting the code that owned you after the
session times out doesn't solve a thing once you've been owned. It
also doesn't help if two users at the same time want to work on a
class named 'Test' or 'MyClass' or 'Example'.

you could always use chroot [1] and isolate each web app user's environment.

Re: Live Ruby on rails tutorial sites

Nicolas Petton
I'd love to use Amber on the client and Seaside + the JSON package on
the server. I have some extensions added to Kaliningrad and so far it
seems to work fine. Seaside-JSON components are used to send both data
and callback ids to the client (Amber).

Cheers,
Nico

2012/1/24 Nick Ager <[hidden email]>:

>> Ce n'est pas si facile que ça.
>>
>> (1 perform: ('cla', 'ss') asSymbol) environment at: ('Comp', 'iler')
>> asSymbol
>>
>> And again, you give the web app user the full rights of the OS user
>> that runs the image. Deleting the code that owned you after the
>> session times out doesn't solve a thing once you've been owned. It
>> also doesn't help if two users at the same time want to work on a
>> class named 'Test' or 'MyClass' or 'Example'.
>

> you could always use chroot [1] and isolate each web app user's environment.

Right then you just need to add an additional proxy that forwards to
each users image and shuts down the image when the session times out.
It also has to start images on a free port. At this point you're more
or less building seasidehosting.st.

There are just so many unsolved problems I don't even know where to
start. Writing a mail saying "you could just" or "or whatever" doesn't
solve them. If somebody wants to go ahead and build something like
this, by all means go head.

Cheers
Philippe

2012/1/24 Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]>:
> I'd love to use Amber on the client and Seaside + the JSON package on
> the server. I have some extensions added to Kaliningrad and so far it
> seems to work fine. Seaside-JSON components are used to send both data
> and callback ids to the client (Amber).

You're using Seaside-JSON [1]? Cool! Right now JSON callbacks are only
niladic. Let me know when that becomes an issue for you and we'll
think of something.

 [1] http://www.squeaksource.com/Seaside31Addons.html

Cheers
Philippe

On Tue, 2012-01-24 at 20:24 +0100, Philippe Marschall wrote:
> 2012/1/24 Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]>:
> > I'd love to use Amber on the client and Seaside + the JSON package on
> > the server. I have some extensions added to Kaliningrad and so far it
> > seems to work fine. Seaside-JSON components are used to send both data
> > and callback ids to the client (Amber).
>
> You're using Seaside-JSON [1]? Cool!

Yep :)

> Right now JSON callbacks are only
> niladic. Let me know when that becomes an issue for you and we'll
> think of something.

Yeah, I subclassed the JSON canvas just for that. What It does is send a
JSON string in a POST request and evaluate a WAValueCallback with the
parsed JSON.

This means that it expects some JSON data, but this workaround works
fine for now.

Cheers,
Nico

>  [1] http://www.squeaksource.com/Seaside31Addons.html
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

Re: Live Ruby on rails tutorial sites

Philippe Marschall
2012/1/24 Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, 2012-01-24 at 20:24 +0100, Philippe Marschall wrote:
>> 2012/1/24 Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]>:
>> > I'd love to use Amber on the client and Seaside + the JSON package on
>> > the server. I have some extensions added to Kaliningrad and so far it
>> > seems to work fine. Seaside-JSON components are used to send both data
>> > and callback ids to the client (Amber).
>>
>> You're using Seaside-JSON [1]? Cool!
>
> Yep :)
>
>> Right now JSON callbacks are only
>> niladic. Let me know when that becomes an issue for you and we'll
>> think of something.
>
> Yeah, I subclassed the JSON canvas just for that. What It does is send a
> JSON string in a POST request and evaluate a WAValueCallback with the
> parsed JSON.

Good ideas, that's simpler than what I had in mind.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Live Ruby on rails tutorial sites

laurent laffont
On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 2:42 PM, Nick Ager <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ce n'est pas si facile que ça.

(1 perform: ('cla', 'ss') asSymbol) environment at: ('Comp', 'iler') asSymbol

And again, you give the web app user the full rights of the OS user
that runs the image. Deleting the code that owned you after the
session times out doesn't solve a thing once you've been owned. It
also doesn't help if two users at the same time want to work on a
class named 'Test' or 'MyClass' or 'Example'.

you could always use chroot [1] and isolate each web app user's environment.

On SmallHarbour we use a secured VM so each image run in a "jail" and cannot access filesystem out of its root dir. There's some (ugly / hacky) automated image deployment. If someone want to play with I can help.

Laurent

On 01/24/2012 12:36 PM, Sebastian Sastre wrote:
> makes sense.
>
> Question Goran:
> what would be the preferred persistent method in such apps?
>
> sebastian <http://about.me/sebastianconcept>

Well, let me go "off topic" all the way, IMHO the "dream" stack for me
personally (for a fairly advanced system) looks something like this:

1. Amber (or plain js) on client side + socket.io (optionally + Faye or
Juggernaut). I am getting more proficient in js these days, but Amber is
still much nicer. Building an advanced client in js requires a lot of
... care. :)

2. Server side a mixture of:
        - Amber running on nodejs.
        - Plain js on nodejs.
        - Pharo.
The system I am building has different "tasks" that are sometimes better
done in Pharo and sometimes better done in nodejs (js or Amber) since
there are a LOT of pre made node modules to use.

3. Tying them together using a message queue. For the moment I think the
new ActiveMQ called "Apollo" looks best. It has VERY good performance
and is all focused on the STOMP protocol (for which I have already
written a client library for Squeak). Yes, written in Java, but I just
want to use it :)

4. Persistence... I am in love with Riak and that is where I am placing
my effort right now. Membase would also be fun to play with, as would
Redis, but Redis is not a persistence solution but rather a coordination
mechanism giving atomic behaviors in a NoSQL-transaction-less-world.

regards, Göran

On 01/24/2012 02:31 PM, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> 2012/1/24 Göran Krampe<[hidden email]>:
>> PS. I love Seaside and Iliad etc, but for me personally it's all about
>> client side now. We are using javascript with the help from Nicolas to build
>> a full "fat" HTML5 client for a customer. And for a personal project I am
>> going "all Amber" for the client. The server then gets transformed into a
>> "RPC backend". And for that, one can use a multitude of technology, with
>> Socket.io being the "sexiest".
>
> Since you're taking this off topic I hope you don't mind if I ask some
> questions. What sever do you use? Which "protocol" do you use
> (WebSocket, long poll, …)?

For the customer we just use jQuery Ajax calls - we have a .Net server
at the backend.

For my personal project I intend to try Socket.io possibly with
Juggernaut in the mix:

        http://socket.io
        https://github.com/maccman/juggernaut

An alternative would be:

        http://faye.jcoglan.com

This would lead to a server running in nodejs so I can write it either
in Amber or plain js. Since I want the main part of the system written
in Pharo I am pursuing using a message queue to tie it all together and
keeping the parts running in nodejs to be as small and targeted as possible.

regards, Göran