Lively Mockups: Access

Philip Weaver
For now I granted access to:

Christopher F Lowery [hidden email]
Lawson English [hidden email]
Steve Wart [hidden email]

These people ought to be able to invite others - and I have small amounts of time to contribute for the next couple of days. I made backups of all of the drawings which I started - so feel free to draw anything you want, write anything you want, and to lead.

As always, if you are able to develop code, please chat with Dan, Robert, or Jens.

Thanks and good evening,
Philip

Philip

Re: Lively Mockups: Access

Christopher F Lowery
Steve said:
> Thanks Philip. I have some time this weekend to have a closer look.

Same here, looking forward to it. Anyone have some neat videos or references to share? If we're about to catch and skin the Next Great Thing, seems like some dramatic music and slides should be playing.

Here's a reference I sent to Dan a few weeks ago, a webarchive of Fabrik:
http://web.archive.org/web/20070927190552/http://users.ipa.net/~dwighth/smalltalk/Fabrik/Fabrik.html

And indispensably, the Mother of All Demos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfIgzSoTMOs

10/GUI: [multitouch is about to be important]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWz1KbknIZk

Also, don't think things have to be touched to be active: [BBN's Put That There]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyBEUyEtxQo

They can be vaguely waved at e.g. the Minority Report interface:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwVBzx0LMNQ

Finally, and this could not be more relevant, dear old Ted Nelson on software:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zumdnI4EG14

-Chris

On Jun 25, 2010, at 8:08 AM, Steve Wart wrote:

> Thanks Philip. I have some time this weekend to have a closer look.
>
> Cheers
> Steve
>
> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 11:24 PM, Philip Weaver <[hidden email]> wrote:
> For now I granted access to:
>
> Christopher F Lowery [hidden email]
> Lawson English [hidden email]
> Steve Wart [hidden email]
>
> http://tinyurl.com/lively-mockups/
>
> These people ought to be able to invite others - and I have small amounts of time to contribute for the next couple of days. I made backups of all of the drawings which I started - so feel free to draw anything you want, write anything you want, and to lead.
>
> As always, if you are able to develop code, please chat with Dan, Robert, or Jens.
>
> Thanks and good evening,
> Philip

Re: Lively Mockups: Access

Philip Weaver
Here's a simple starter drawing project for somebody: mockup a redesign of Lively's contextual menus. Strip out anything which would fit better in a new system browser. Consider adding new menu items relating to vector illustration such as "Lock/Unlock Morph", "Zoom Morph to Fit", "Ordering", "Distribute".

Also, if you're not sure where to edit, just create your own documents and link to them from the entry page.

Here's one interesting concept which I strongly favor: select multiple rows in a column and then their detail views stack in the next column. Example: instead of a Styling top level area, have a Selection area. The Selection area contains "Selected Morphs" (a list or table), "Selection Styling", "Selection Scripting". User can select rows: "Selected Morphs" and "Selection Styling" and they stack in the next column and scroll vertically as one. The user could also select and view them individually. This concept is like a tabbed pane where the user can see more than one panel at a time. I'm not able to draw this Selection area example immediately but an example of this stacking behavior already exists in: Examples Harness and also in CodingResolve: this selection stacking should probably not be allowed at arbitrary depths: e.g. when traversing submorphs.

Philip