Lively and Bazaar

keith1y
I wrote down my own thoughts on using bazaar

http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/users/keith/versionControl.xhtml

I do not expect you to take much notice of me, I am just thinking out loud so to speak. LaunchPad is cool though.

Is there anything stopping Lively from running using local file urls? (TiddlyWiki does it including being able to save)

Keith

Re: Lively and Bazaar

keith1y
After much messing about, I was going to ask, where is trunk really!

Importing the whole svn repo is going to take some time, so I set a periodic import of webwerkstatt going into LaunchPad, just before I got the email about the planned reorganisation of the repository.

So let us test what deployment should look like.

Yay it took 50 seconds to execute

bzr checkout --lightweight lp:lively-kernel

That was lively1 I think.

Keith

===

I  discovered that rc-3 Lively was not running when I tried it from a local file url, a little debugging discovered that it would work if I made it "guess the codeBase".

 if (urlFound) { /*KPH MOD SWITCH THE LOGIC TO MAKE IT GUESS*/
            console.warn('Cannot find codebase, have to guess...');
            return JSLoader.dirOfURL(window.location.href.toString());
        }

Re: Lively and Bazaar

keith1y
And I forgot to mention, I started an open team on launchpad called "livelytalkers" to complement the existing "smalltalkers"

Another thing I could mention is that if you find that the tools themselves are not macro enough for managing a project with several modules and you want to put together some scripts. You could make your own bash command like

lively checkout http:/blah

I have written a simple framework for doing this in the tradition of tools like git and bazaar. Each command is written as a shellscript which provides help and usage info. The purpose is to provide functions on top of bzr/git etc for project deployment etc.

The framework is called groan. (which is what I do every time I have to code in shell script)

You can find groan here:

https://launchpad.net/groan

The first application of groan was for the tool "grow" which is for managing simultaneous development in squeak, pharo & cuis

regards

Keith

Re: Lively and Bazaar

keith1y
Looks like the SVN repository needs fixing up. My attempts to auto-import the whole history, (even if I only want "kernel") into Launchpad/Bazaar are failing. How have the git guys been getting on?

Keith

Re: Lively and Bazaar

keith1y
Manual lightweight checkouts are fine though, and quite usable.

On 27 Oct 2011, at 16:42, Keith P. Hodges wrote:

> Looks like the SVN repository needs fixing up. My attempts to auto-import the whole history, (even if I only want "kernel") into Launchpad/Bazaar are failing. How have the git guys been getting on?
>
> Keith

Re: Lively and Bazaar

Fabian Bornhofen-2
Hi Keith,

I just managed to check out the repository with git and then push it
to fbornhofen/lively-core on github:

git svn init http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/kernel/
git svn fetch
git svn rebase
git remote add origin [hidden email]:fbornhofen/lively-core.git
git push -u origin master

This should be very similar to the way you did it with bzr and lp, right?
I'm not familiar with bzr. It seems to have a couple of technical
advantages over git. The reason I'm favoring git at the moment is
github. People tend to ask whether your project is on github when they
learn that you're doing interesting open source stuff. An then, the
cool thing about DVCS is that you can have lots and lots of
repositories .. I'd love to try Launchpad as well.

I totally agree that we need another name for 'kernel'. 'Core' sounds
a lot better.
The thing is, it's not that easy to move things around quickly. There
is still a lot of stuff in the repo that heavily relies on the current
Webwerkstatt deployment. This needs to be cleaned up, but I feel that
this can happen gradually.

What's good is that things are moving forward and that we're gaining
momentum. Let's keep it up.

Fabian

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Keith P. Hodges
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Looks like the SVN repository needs fixing up. My attempts to auto-import the whole history, (even if I only want "kernel") into Launchpad/Bazaar are failing. How have the git guys been getting on?
>
> Keith

Re: Lively and Bazaar

keith1y
Launchpad does a periodic import of svn repositories to keep current, leaving the svn as the master.
This is what is breaking for me.

When I do a manual check out from svn, everything is great, and contrary to my experience yesterday everything is as fast as can be.

Bazaar allows you to move things, and keep the history intact, including directories! So I am having a go and trying out the organisation that I suggested, to see if it is workable.

Keith

Re: Lively and Bazaar

Ryan Riley
Fabian,

I wasn't able to figure out how to add a comment on your versionControl page, but I thought I would point you in the direction of node-gitteh for a javascript git implementation using libgit2. I don't know whether it's what you are looking for, but it should at least give you a start. I'm just getting started with LK after following it for about a year or so.

Ryan

Re: Lively and Bazaar

Fabian Bornhofen-2
Hi Ryan,

that looks VERY cool.
In fact, Lauritz and I started playing with Node.js a while ago in
order to reduce the complexity that comes with Apache.
(And FYI, we have a little POC on github:
https://github.com/fbornhofen/lkcodesrv . It's just not good enough
for and official announcement.)

In a scenario where we run a Node server to deliver Lively, then
node-gitteh sure will be the way to go for doing version control.
Do you do a lot of Node development?

Fabian

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Ryan Riley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Fabian,
> I wasn't able to figure out how to add a comment on your versionControl
> page, but I thought I would point you in the direction of node-gitteh for a
> javascript git implementation using libgit2. I don't know whether it's what
> you are looking for, but it should at least give you a start. I'm just
> getting started with LK after following it for about a year or so.
> Ryan

Re: Lively and Bazaar

Roeder, Marko
Hey Fabian, Lauritz,

In fact, Lauritz and I started playing with Node.js a while ago in
order to reduce the complexity that comes with Apache.
(And FYI, we have a little POC on github:
https://github.com/fbornhofen/lkcodesrv . It's just not good enough
for and official announcement.)

It seems like Max has created a very nice Node.JS proxy that might do everything (and more ;-)) needed replace the proxy in your LK Code Server!

- Marko