Lively "cheat sheet"

Robert Krahn-4
To provide a concise overview of the most needed interfaces when working with Lively I have assembled a small list here:

You are very welcome to extend the list or make extension requests.

Best,
Robert

Re: [CDG] Lively "cheat sheet"

Dan Ingalls-4
I love it.

The medium is the message.

Thanks, Robert!

  - Dan
-------------
On Nov 3, 2013, at 10:57 PM, Robert Krahn wrote:

To provide a concise overview of the most needed interfaces when working with Lively I have assembled a small list here:

You are very welcome to extend the list or make extension requests.

Best,
Robert

Re: [CDG] Lively "cheat sheet"

Roeder, Marko
Indeed, quite awesome!

I especially like the navigation at the bottom: It looks like and easy to build but nice solution! :-)

Thanks,

- Marko

On 04 Nov 2013, at 16:58, Daniel Ingalls <[hidden email]> wrote:

I love it.

The medium is the message.

Thanks, Robert!

  - Dan
-------------
On Nov 3, 2013, at 10:57 PM, Robert Krahn wrote:

To provide a concise overview of the most needed interfaces when working with Lively I have assembled a small list here:

You are very welcome to extend the list or make extension requests.

Best,
Robert

Re: [CDG] Lively "cheat sheet"

Ted Kaehler-2
Robert,
        This is excellent!!!  What great summary of what a person
needs to know about Lively.  Very well orgainzed and clear.

--Ted.

--
Ted Kaehler
If you're not hungry enough to eat an apple, then you're not hungry.

Re: Lively "cheat sheet"

Steve Thomas
Thank you, this is very helpful.  I have been wanting to try and figure out how to use Lively in the same way I use Etoys with kids, but haven't had/made the time to learn the things I need to know.  This definitely helps reduce the learning time.

One thing I was trying to do was to perform some basic "turtle" commads like moveBy, when I opened the inspector and tried this.moveBy(10)  it always moved to 0,0 no matter what number I entered.  I then say the cheat sheet said moveBy(point)  so I tried moveBy(100,10) and still the same behavior.

It would be great if at some point the cheatsheet had links for each "cheat" to a tutorial/example page.

Thanks,
Stephen
P.S. At some point it would be great if there were scripting tiles :)

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 1:57 AM, Robert Krahn <[hidden email]> wrote:
To provide a concise overview of the most needed interfaces when working with Lively I have assembled a small list here:

You are very welcome to extend the list or make extension requests.

Best,
Robert

To some of us, writing computer programs is a fascinating game. A program is a building of thought. It is costless to build, weightless, growing easily under our typing hands. If we get carried away, its size and complexity will grow out of control, confusing even the one who created it. This is the main problem of programming. It is why so much of today's software tends to crash, fail, screw up.

When a program works, it is beautiful. The art of programming is the skill of controlling complexity. The great program is subdued, made simple in its complexity.

- Martin Harverbeke (from Eloquent JavaScript)

Re: Lively "cheat sheet"

Lincke, Jens
Hi, Steve

a point in Lively can be constructed using „pt(100,10)“
so try „this.moveBy(pt(100,10))“

We could have made the moveBy method more clever in accepting more kind of arguments, but as I remember we did not do it due to performance reasons.
Maybe nowadays this should not make a difference any more.

Best, Jens

Am 05.11.2013 um 00:12 schrieb Steve Thomas <[hidden email]>:

[...]

Jens/Rick,

Thanks that works now.  Couple of other comments/questions:

Are there any "pen use" type commands (ie: pen down, etc)?

If I decided to create my own "forwardBy" function which could apply to any morph, would a good approach be to create a Trait and then apply that Trait to each morph? I tried to figure out how to do this looking at the example but couldn't get it working.  Also I would need to add a "heading" attribute as well to make this work.  Any suggestions/help appreciated.

Since you have showHalos, wouldn't hideHalos be a better name than removeHalos? To me remove indicates no longer there and I would need to add it back.

Page3 of profesores states:
Besides containing all visible morphs, the world also provides all kinds of functionality. Right click on the morph to see the World's menu! There you can find tools, parts and the PartsBin and you can save the world in its current state.
I think you should remove "on the morph".  Also the "TutorialArea" is sized such that you could think you are clicking on the world and nothing happens (because you clicked on the "TutorialArea" morph).

I tried to "Report a Bug" and wound up creating a blank one (because I clicked cancel).  So I simply edited the lively web page and saved it (I love how you folks eat your own cooking, everything is lively :).  So I assume that is the way to "update" and issue?

Last question, should I be using lively-web.org instead of lively-kernel.org?

Cheers,
Stephen