Lively deployment with Node.js

Fabian Bornhofen-2
Hi there -

Apache configuration turned out to be painful for non-IT-admin users
that just want to try Lively (including myself).

There is a possibility that it's easier to write a lean Node.js server
that could provide the full Lively experience.
After some experiments a few months ago, I now took some time to to
research and put together an early prototype:

https://github.com/fbornhofen/life_star

At this point, I'd like to invite Node.js-savvy users to give it a try.

What does work:
- delivering Lively xthml pages
- deleting files
- simple proxy for WebResource

What does not work yet:
- post/put for files (haven't looked into the problem)
- versioning (how do we want to do this)

I'll keep you posted.

Best,
Fabian

Re: Lively deployment with Node.js

Davide Della Casa
Hi Fabian,

how would you compare this to the node.js attempts of  https://github.com/rksm/LivelyKernel ?

Is this because you are following another strategy for using node?

(I tried neither so far)

Cheers,
Davide

On 2 Mar 2012, at 01:21, Fabian Bornhofen wrote:

> Hi there -
>
> Apache configuration turned out to be painful for non-IT-admin users
> that just want to try Lively (including myself).
>
> There is a possibility that it's easier to write a lean Node.js server
> that could provide the full Lively experience.
> After some experiments a few months ago, I now took some time to to
> research and put together an early prototype:
>
> https://github.com/fbornhofen/life_star
>
> At this point, I'd like to invite Node.js-savvy users to give it a try.
>
> What does work:
> - delivering Lively xthml pages
> - deleting files
> - simple proxy for WebResource
>
> What does not work yet:
> - post/put for files (haven't looked into the problem)
> - versioning (how do we want to do this)
>
> I'll keep you posted.
>
> Best,
> Fabian

Re: Lively deployment with Node.js

Fabian Bornhofen-2
Hi Davide -

thanks for asking, there has been some confusion :).

The LivelyKernel repository includes a minimal Node.js server
basically delivers a test page an collects test results from that
page. It has no WebDAV features, which means that you could not use
SCB or the PartsBin browser. We're thinking about removing that server
from the core repository and create a new repository for the testing
infrastructure.

For local installations it would be valuable to have a Node.js server
that can deliver files via WebDAV and that is flexible enough so we
can add our own commands to it - e. g. for git. This is what I'm
trying to do.
(Would be nice to have a way to load and unload different server
components while it is running. I guess you could totally do that with
Node.)

Best,
Fabian