Load instructions (Re: The Inbox: Morphic-hjh.424.mcz)

Load instructions (Re: The Inbox: Morphic-hjh.424.mcz)

Andreas.Raab
Hi -

I just wanted to point out that I think the idea below is a *brilliant*
interim solution for our current lack of a decent package loader. At the
very least, we can give people starting points on how to load certain
packages. I've added instructions on how to load Installer, Omnibrowser
and Refactory Engine. Can someone knowledgable perhaps extend this to
cover Seaside (hopefully both 2.8 and 3.0) as well? Perhaps Magma, too?

BTW, if you edit the workspace, there's a "trick" to it. You should
enable syntax highlighting so that the contents is properly styled when
you accept the method. This requires an updated trunk image since I've
fixed a few issues there.

(I also think we should bring this workspace in particular into 4.1)

Cheers,
   - Andreas

On 4/21/2010 6:53 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> A new version of Morphic was added to project The Inbox:
> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Morphic-hjh.424.mcz

> Name: Morphic-hjh.424
> Author: hjh
> Time: 21 April 2010, 6:49:30.084 pm
> UUID: 6ec6fb84-83b8-47e6-a04e-9cab207a6de1
> Ancestors: Morphic-cmm.423
>
> Added a 'Help' menu entry
>    'Extending the system'
>
> which includes instructions
> 1) how to switch to the trunk to get developer updates
> 2) how to load Pier2
> 3) how to load the HelpSystem by Torsten Bergmann
>
> I see this as an intermediary solution to help first time users to quickly setup the working environment.
>
> Please feel free to add more instructions how to load "things" into Squeak.

Re: Load instructions (Re: The Inbox: Morphic-hjh.424.mcz)

Edgar De Cleene

On 4/22/10 2:00 AM, "Andreas Raab" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I just wanted to point out that I think the idea below is a *brilliant*
> interim solution for our current lack of a decent package loader. At the
> very least, we can give people starting points on how to load certain
> packages. I've added instructions on how to load Installer, Omnibrowser
> and Refactory Engine. Can someone knowledgable perhaps extend this to
> cover Seaside (hopefully both 2.8 and 3.0) as well? Perhaps Magma, too?
>
> BTW, if you edit the workspace, there's a "trick" to it. You should
> enable syntax highlighting so that the contents is properly styled when
> you accept the method. This requires an updated trunk image since I've
> fixed a few issues there.
>
> (I also think we should bring this workspace in particular into 4.1)
>
> Cheers,
>    - Andreas
See SqueakLight3, use my modified CodeLoader .
Again I post here

Example of loading my HV
| loader |
    loader := CodeLoader new.
    loader baseURL: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/Ladrillos/'.
    loader installLastMonticelloFor:  #('DynamicBindings'  'KomServices'
'KomHttpServer' 'HTML' ' Network-HTML' ).

Polish a bit and we don't need any more...

Edgar

CodeLoader.st (22K) Download Attachment

Re: Load instructions (Re: The Inbox: Morphic-hjh.424.mcz)

Hannes Hirzel
On 4/22/10, Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/22/10 2:00 AM, "Andreas Raab" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi -
>>
>> I just wanted to point out that I think the idea below is a *brilliant*
>> interim solution for our current lack of a decent package loader. At the
>> very least, we can give people starting points on how to load certain
>> packages. I've added instructions on how to load Installer, Omnibrowser
>> and Refactory Engine. Can someone knowledgable perhaps extend this to
>> cover Seaside (hopefully both 2.8 and 3.0) as well? Perhaps Magma, too?
>>
>> BTW, if you edit the workspace, there's a "trick" to it. You should
>> enable syntax highlighting so that the contents is properly styled when
>> you accept the method. This requires an updated trunk image since I've
>> fixed a few issues there.
>>
>> (I also think we should bring this workspace in particular into 4.1)
>>
>> Cheers,
>>    - Andreas
>
> See SqueakLight3, use my modified CodeLoader .
> Again I post here
>
> Example of loading my HV
> | loader |
>     loader := CodeLoader new.
>     loader baseURL: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/Ladrillos/'.
>     loader installLastMonticelloFor:  #('DynamicBindings'  'KomServices'
> 'KomHttpServer' 'HTML' ' Network-HTML' ).
>

> Polish a bit and we don't need any more...
>
> Edgar

I was not aware that there is another code loader class besides
'Installer'. How do they differ?

Hannes

loader baseURL: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/Ladrillos/'.

Re: Load instructions (Re: The Inbox: Morphic-hjh.424.mcz)

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Teleplacer wrote
I've added instructions on how to load Installer, Omnibrowser
and Refactory Engine.
How do I get this - I've been dying for an easy way to install the dev tools (couldn't get them working in 4.1)!?  I got 4.1.1 from http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/, got all the updates, and checked the inbox (don't see it there) and got 'unknown selector' for CodeLoader>>installLastMonticelloFor:

Also, if I wasn't totally confused enough, this did it, lol:
*Installer - the original
*ScriptInstaller - in-house, not really for public consumption
*Monticello - version management
*Monticello 2 - ?
*Metacello - package management, handles dependencies between projects/files/platforms
*Gopher - loads MC packages 'cleanly.'  Sounds good, but not familiar enough with 'uncleanly' to know
*CodeLoader - temporary

Did I leave any out?

Btw.  I've really been enjoying Metacello.  It lets the package author declare which mcz file works with which versions of which platform (i.e. squeak/pharo/... and Mac/Windows/...).

Example: I just used it to easily fix SSpec after Pharo 1.1 pragma-based world menu broke it.  Project is now core packages + platform-specific package that is automatically chosen based on the users environment.

So all the end-user needs to do is load a ConfigurationOfSSpec mcz file, call load, and it figures out exactly what to install for their environment - would this not work for our package problems in the long-term?  If not, what's missing?

Thanks.

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Load instructions (Re: The Inbox: Morphic-hjh.424.mcz)

Bert Freudenberg
On 22.04.2010, at 13:37, Hannes Hirzel wrote:

> On 4/22/10, Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On 4/22/10 2:00 AM, "Andreas Raab" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi -
>>>
>>> I just wanted to point out that I think the idea below is a *brilliant*
>>> interim solution for our current lack of a decent package loader. At the
>>> very least, we can give people starting points on how to load certain
>>> packages. I've added instructions on how to load Installer, Omnibrowser
>>> and Refactory Engine. Can someone knowledgable perhaps extend this to
>>> cover Seaside (hopefully both 2.8 and 3.0) as well? Perhaps Magma, too?
>>>
>>> BTW, if you edit the workspace, there's a "trick" to it. You should
>>> enable syntax highlighting so that the contents is properly styled when
>>> you accept the method. This requires an updated trunk image since I've
>>> fixed a few issues there.
>>>
>>> (I also think we should bring this workspace in particular into 4.1)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>   - Andreas
>>
>> See SqueakLight3, use my modified CodeLoader .
>> Again I post here
>>
>> Example of loading my HV
>> | loader |
>>    loader := CodeLoader new.
>>    loader baseURL: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/Ladrillos/'.
>>    loader installLastMonticelloFor:  #('DynamicBindings'  'KomServices'
>> 'KomHttpServer' 'HTML' ' Network-HTML' ).
>>

>> Polish a bit and we don't need any more...
>>
>> Edgar
>>

> I was not aware that there is another code loader class besides
> 'Installer'. How do they differ?

CodeLoader has a very specific purpose, primarily for loading Etoys projects. It is not meant to be used for anything else.

Edgar made some extensions for it to be used more like Installer, but we won't take that into the trunk. We have Installer already, there is no need for duplicating its services into a class with a different purpose.

If Installer is insufficient to install something, *that* is where it would be prudent to fix.

- Bert -

On 4/22/10 9:26 AM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> CodeLoader has a very specific purpose, primarily for loading Etoys projects.
> It is not meant to be used for anything else.

All is Smalltalk is evolution and change.

It's like said the fire was invented for cook a Brontosaur and we can't use
it for modern food.

In my first programming class I learn about re use.

Edgar , Advocatus Diaboli

On 22.04.2010, at 14:49, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> On 4/22/10 9:26 AM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> CodeLoader has a very specific purpose, primarily for loading Etoys projects.
>> It is not meant to be used for anything else.
>
> All is Smalltalk is evolution and change.
>
> It's like said the fire was invented for cook a Brontosaur and we can't use
> it for modern food.

No, it's like insisting to modify a hammer so it can be re-used for screws. Even when a perfectly useable screwdriver is already on the work bench.

Or, to uses a metaphor related to programming languages, it's like nailing four extra legs onto a dog to get an octopus.

- Bert -

Re: Load instructions (Re: The Inbox: Morphic-hjh.424.mcz)

Hannes Hirzel
Load Test Case
============

Platform: WindowsXP

Software: Download Windows installer from www.squeak.org

Steps on MSWindows:
--------------------------------
Double-click on the installer file: Squeak-4.1-9957-100417-installer.exe
Go through a usual MSWindows installation.
Accept that Squeak should start immediately

Steps within Squeak
-----------------------------

Open menu 'Tools' / 'Preferences'
Click on 'Monticello'
Change update url to: http://source.squeak.org/trunk
Accept the change with CTRL-S (or maybe ALT-S)
Close the preferences browser

Go to the Squeak Menu (the mouse icon )
Choose 'Update Squeak'
Wait .....
The system responds with 'Update completed'   10005

Go to menu 'Extras'
choose 'Rebuild menus'

Now a new menu entry appears in the Help menu

Go to 'Help menu' / 'Extending the system'

Select for example the following code
Hit ALT-D  (Do-it)

"Omnibrowser"
(Installer wiresong project: 'ob')
            install: 'OmniBrowser';
            install: 'OB-Morphic';
            install: 'OB-Standard';
            install: 'OB-Shout';
            install: 'OB-SUnitIntegration'.

"Refactoring engine and OB integration"
(Installer ss project: 'rb')
        install: 'AST';
        install: 'Refactoring-Core';
        install: 'Refactoring-Spelling';
        project: 'Regex';
        install: 'VB-Regex'.
(Installer wiresong project: 'ob')
        install: 'OB-Refactory';
        install: 'OB-Regex'.

If you open the menu 'Tools' / 'Browser' you are prompted with a
choice of SystemBrowsers

RESULT: Test case OK

Hannes

On 4/22/10 10:11 AM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Even when a perfectly useable screwdriver is already on the work bench.

Copy of private post

> All is my fault as being lazy when I do 3.10 , as several times said in
> different forums.
> If I take time and discover CodeLoader at the time , modified and use it.
> Instead, my laziness drive to use only one method of Installer and put it on
> the image.
> But original Installer grows and grows trying to do all whit one package.
> So later I said is a kind of GOTO in Basic.

So the screwdriver exist only for my fault.

Re: Load instructions (Re: The Inbox: Morphic-hjh.424.mcz)

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Go to 'Help menu' / 'Extending the system'
<snip>
"Omnibrowser"
<snip>
"Refactoring engine and OB integration"

I followed the instructions and they now load okay, yay!
Except... the refactoring seems to be unusable, doh :(

My first two refactoring attempts:
* rename method - MessageNotUnderstood: SystemDictionary>>hasSpecialSelector:ifTrueSetByte:
* extract method - clicking accept on the  'Changes: refactor source, extract method' pop-up does nothing - change is not made and pop-up stays there.

Should I file bugs for these?  If so, for the package, or Squeak?  Are these packages even intended/supported to run in Squeak?

Squeak 4.2-10006

Thanks.

Sean DeNigris

Cheers,
Sean

Re: Load instructions (Re: The Inbox: Morphic-hjh.424.mcz)

Hannes Hirzel
Sorry Sean, I should have stated more clearly in my test case that I
only 'loaded' the code. I did not thoroughly test the browser.

I assume that the developer of the OmniBrowser (OB) does this on Pharo.

So Squeak support might be second priority - I don't know.

We have loaded OB into a developer trunk image - so the integration of
it is work in progress.

Let's lift this topic to a new thread.

Hannes

On 4/23/10, DeNigris Sean <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Go to 'Help menu' / 'Extending the system'
>> <snip>
>> "Omnibrowser"
>> <snip>
>> "Refactoring engine and OB integration"
>

> I followed the instructions and they now load okay, yay!
> Except... the refactoring seems to be unusable, doh :(
>
> My first two refactoring attempts:
> * rename method - MessageNotUnderstood:
> SystemDictionary>>hasSpecialSelector:ifTrueSetByte:
> * extract method - clicking accept on the  'Changes: refactor source,
> extract method' pop-up does nothing - change is not made and pop-up stays
> there.
>
> Should I file bugs for these?  If so, for the package, or Squeak?  Are these
> packages even intended/supported to run in Squeak?
>
> Squeak 4.2-10006
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sean DeNigris

Re: Load instructions (Re: The Inbox: Morphic-hjh.424.mcz)

Edgar De Cleene

On 4/22/10 10:11 AM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Or, to uses a metaphor related to programming languages, it's like nailing
> four extra legs onto a dog to get an octopus.
>
> - Bert
Or does not know that today before the chicken was chicken egg and dinosaur
ever dinosaur egg?

If God have you on Board, we dummned

On 23.04.2010, at 12:57, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> On 4/22/10 10:11 AM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Or, to uses a metaphor related to programming languages, it's like nailing
>> four extra legs onto a dog to get an octopus.
>>
>> - Bert
> Or does not know that today before the chicken was chicken egg and dinosaur
> ever dinosaur egg?
>
> If God have you on Board, we dummned

At least we get a good laugh once in a while :)

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ExtraLegsOntoaDog

- Bert -