sebastianconcept
Hi guys,

what would you do if you want to load Amber in a javascript engine that does not have the DOM?

It will have no window no document objects.

I would be cool that it also can load without jQuery.

How do you do that?

Or...

What could be a start?

sebastian

o/

Re: Loading Amber without DOM dependencies

sebastianconcept
okay sounds promising.

The problem I've found in this path is that for some reason amber cannot initialize any new objects.

The relevant part while debugging this is:

smalltalk.Behavior);
smalltalk.addMethod(
smalltalk.method({
selector: "new",
fn: function (){
var self=this;
return smalltalk.withContext(function($ctx1) {
var $1;
$1=_st(self._basicNew())._initialize();
return $1;

the problem is that self._basicNew()._initialize is returning undefined

So the initialize method in the instance side of the Object class isn't there which sounds basically wrong.

Maybe this is missing some amber load initialization that installs methods?

I've tried recompiling all and re-deploying but same result.

Hints appreciated muchly

sebastian

o/

PS:  I'm deploying using concatenation like this:
#!/bin/bash

cat amber/js/boot.js amber/js/Kernel-Objects.deploy.jsamber/js/Kernel-Classes.deploy.js amber/js/Kernel-Methods.deploy.js amber/js/Kernel-Collections.deploy.js amber/js/Kernel-Announcements.deploy.js amber/js/Kernel-Exceptions.deploy.js init.js > all.js

PS2: I'm using an amber-master version downloaded this week

On Saturday, June 8, 2013 5:16:41 PM UTC-3, Sebastian Sastre wrote:
Maybe it works if I just load there the deployed code (in opposition to the whole environment) mmm

Trying....

On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 4:35 PM, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys,

what would you do if you want to load Amber in a javascript engine that does not have the DOM?

It will have no window no document objects.

I would be cool that it also can load without jQuery.

How do you do that?

Or...

What could be a start?

sebastian

o/

Re: Loading Amber without DOM dependencies

Dave Mason-3
On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 7:51 PM, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:
The problem I've found in this path is that for some reason amber cannot initialize any new objects.

The relevant part while debugging this is:

smalltalk.Behavior);
smalltalk.addMethod(
smalltalk.method({
selector: "new",
fn: function (){
var self=this;
return smalltalk.withContext(function($ctx1) {
var $1;
$1=_st(self._basicNew())._initialize();
return $1;

I ran into the same problem - thought it was me, but I haven't tracked the reason down yet.

I also want to deploy without Canvas and jQuery.  I had a patch at one point, and I'll do it again once this problem gets fixed.  In my case I *do* have a DOM, but have rolled my own stuff and don't want the impact of jQuery or any other library beyond amber proper.

../Dave

Re: Loading Amber without DOM dependencies

sebastianconcept
yep.

Hey... I've just confirmed something I was suspicious about lately...

It throws the same error if you deploy the code and load it in something *with* a DOM but *without* jquery.

So it sounds like this is really about the jquery dependency.

sebastian

o/

On Sunday, June 9, 2013 11:42:04 PM UTC-3, Dave Mason wrote:
On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 7:51 PM, Sebastian Sastre <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="ornlP-gSjhwJ">sebastia...@...> wrote:
[...]

xekoukou
I think that would be useful if someone wants to use amber from inside a web worker,because it doesnt have access to the DOM.

2013/6/10 Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]>
[...]

Sincerely yours,
     Apostolis Xekoukoulotakis

Re: Loading Amber without DOM dependencies

sebastianconcept
Alright... got it working.

It's actually about that idea of deploying the whole thing without jquery.

Concatenation of boot.js plus .deploy.js files plus init.js is enough.

Can't say why before wasn't working but now got it working by concatenating all the same packages than AmberCli does, plus my own code (and, yes, changing the init).

This is going to be exciting :D

sebastian

o/

Screen Shot 2013-06-10 at 4.19.06 AM.png (166K) Download Attachment

Re: Loading Amber without DOM dependencies

Guido Stepken

I found *Polymer Webcomponents* and *hidden dom* quite interesting and very useful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g0oOOT86NY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://polymer-project.org

Have fun!

Am 10.06.2013 06:04 schrieb "Sebastian Sastre" <[hidden email]>:
[...]

Herby Vojčík
Hello,

things like amberc and amber cli work fine without jquery, so
concatenating already works (but I would leave it to amberc, not do it
by hand).

What was wrong with init? What was needed to change?

Herby