DiegoLont
Hi all,

I tried to load Pier3 into a fresh Pharo image using:
Gofer new
        url: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Pier/Pier3/main';
        package: 'ConfigurationOfPier3';
        load.

(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPier3) load

Note that this does not load Pier-Seaside.

This loading failed due to the following error: (while loading: 'Pier-Pharo-Persistency')
'This package depends on the following classes:
  PRWidget
You must resolve these dependencies before you will be able to load these definitions:
  PRExportImportWidget
  groupLabel
  isAbstract
  label
  export:
  exporterImporter
  exporterImporter:
  exporterImporterClass
  exporterImporterClass:
  import:into:
  initialize
  renderContentOn:
  renderExportOn:
  renderImportOn:
  renderSelectOn:
  replace
  replace:
'

When I take a Pier3 image from the build server, it appears that PRWidget is in Pier-Seaside. Also this stuff is not loaded (the warning is ignored somewhere!). So this should be moved to a different package, with a dependency on Pier-Seaside and Pier-Pharo-Persistency.

Cheers,
Diego

Re: Loading Pier3

Damien Cassou

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 11:20 AM, Diego Lont <[hidden email]> wrote:
When I take a Pier3 image from the build server, it appears that PRWidget is in Pier-Seaside. Also this stuff is not loaded (the warning is ignored somewhere!). So this should be moved to a different package, with a dependency on Pier-Seaside and Pier-Pharo-Persistency.

can you please fix the configuration?

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: Loading Pier3

DiegoLont
Hi Damien,

I moved the class that gave trouble to Pier-Pharo-Seaside. And it now loads fine.

I also tried loading version '3.1.0' and it looks like the configuration works fine for this, but it gives me some strange layout when I test the website: it displays some html tag's, instead of setting the proper div classes. Can you take a look at this? Because it seems to have a connection with Pillar,

Diego

On Feb 4, 2014, at 5:09 PM, Damien Cassou wrote:

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 11:20 AM, Diego Lont <[hidden email]> wrote:
When I take a Pier3 image from the build server, it appears that PRWidget is in Pier-Seaside. Also this stuff is not loaded (the warning is ignored somewhere!). So this should be moved to a different package, with a dependency on Pier-Seaside and Pier-Pharo-Persistency.

can you please fix the configuration?

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: Loading Pier3

DiegoLont
Hi Damien,

I took a look into why it went wrong, and I found that you have renamed PRVerbatim into PRRaw (why?) and missed the implementation in Pier-Seaside.

If you do changes like this, will you please check with the Seaside part as well? Also please keep in mind that Pier-Seaside is cross platform, and should stay cross platform. So your changes in Pillar also should work on other platforms as well.

Regards,
Diego

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 11:29 AM, Diego Lont <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I took a look into why it went wrong, and I found that you have renamed
> PRVerbatim into PRRaw (why?) and missed the implementation in Pier-Seaside.

I did that after a discussion with my colleagues where it appeared
that the name PRRaw was easier to understand than PRVerbatim.

> If you do changes like this, will you please check with the Seaside part as
> well?

I'm subscribed to jenkins jobs and I get messages when a build fails.
I fixed them a hundred times already. This time, no job failed. And I
don't really use Pier so I can't know.

> Also please keep in mind that Pier-Seaside is cross platform, and
> should stay cross platform. So your changes in Pillar also should work on
> other platforms as well.

Agree. Are there any continuous integration job that would tell me
when I go wrong?

Talking about jobs, it looks like there is a problem with the
dependency to Seaside:
https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/Pier3/PHARO=20,VERSION=stable,VM=vm/926/console

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Fixing Pier3Addons

DiegoLont
Hi all,

I am currently fixing the configuration of Pier 3 Add ons.

One of the main trouble I have is that there are version conflicts of the things that are used. So I am now also updating some other configurations (i.e. Magritte and Pillar), to get it working together. I notice that there are a lot of different strategies to specify versions. I use the following (and will modify all configuration I need to change accordingly):
        - baselines
                Packages: No version specified, only dependencies.
                Project: #'stable'

        - development versions:
                Packages: This is the latest version. Personally I think it is easier to leave them out, as this will automatically load the latest version. But most of the time this is filled out as: 'this belongs together'.
                Projects same team: #'development'
                Used projects: #'stable'.

        - stable versions / release versions
                Packages: Specified. This is only allowed to allow for bug fixes.
                Projects same team: #'stable'.
                Used project: Specified. When releasing, check the stable version.

Also I try to make as few exceptions as possible for other platforms, so if I can specify something for pharo instead of pharo2.x and pharo3.x I will do so.

I hope I will not cause too much inconvenience.

Cheers,
Diego

Re: Fixing Pier3Addons

Damien Cassou
On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 11:01 AM, Diego Lont <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I hope I will not cause too much inconvenience.

you should not worry, we can fix things if they break. Go ahead, thanks Diego.