Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
From the user list (http://forum.world.st/GlorpDBX-td3932313.html)...
Jonathan Kelly wrote
feeling particularly stupid right now. Been trying to get Xxx
working... for the last 2 hours and I'm busted. It took me
about an out just to find out how to load and configure things. ugh. It
took me a while to work out I had to actually install...
Let's make sure we never leave users with this experience. How do we create a seamless loading experience for people that have not been keenly following the Metacello & Pharo lists for the last year? If I downloaded Pharo today, where's the central access point I would go to load something? Things seem scattered - Metacello configurations can all be found in MetacelloRepository... unless they are with their projects... or both, with one or the other out of date. Loading scripts are often posted to the list, but do they ever get captured into a configuration?

It's embarrassing, but I didn't even know about Metacello's Toolboox API unless I read the beta chapter from PBE2 yesterday - I thought configs all had to be coded by hand! - so I never quite "had the time".

What can we create to tighten up this process and empower (especially new) users?

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Loading Projects

patmaddox
On Nov 8, 2011, at 7:36 AM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> From the user list (http://forum.world.st/GlorpDBX-td3932313.html)...
>
> Jonathan Kelly wrote:
>>
>> feeling particularly stupid right now. Been trying to get Xxx
>> working... for the last 2 hours and I'm busted. It took me
>> about an out just to find out how to load and configure things. ugh. It
>> took me a while to work out I had to actually install...
>>

> Let's make sure we never leave users with this experience. How do we create
> a seamless loading experience for people that have not been keenly following
> the Metacello & Pharo lists for the last year? If I downloaded Pharo today,
> where's the central access point I would go to load something? Things seem
> scattered - Metacello configurations can all be found in
> MetacelloRepository... unless they are with their projects... or both, with
> one or the other out of date. Loading scripts are often posted to the list,
> but do they ever get captured into a configuration?
>
> It's embarrassing, but I didn't even know about Metacello's Toolboox API
> unless I read the beta chapter from PBE2 yesterday - I thought configs all
> had to be coded by hand! - so I never quite "had the time".
>
> What can we create to tighten up this process and empower (especially new)
> users?

We need a wiki. The documentation and PBE are really good, but the authors have limited time to manage them, and only focus on the things that they deem important. Which is entirely fair. But there are is tons of tacit knowledge in the Pharo community that should be organized and made explicit. Wikis are great for that, enabling anyone to add content and to organize it over time.

Pat

Re: Loading Projects

Marcus Denker-4

On Nov 8, 2011, at 1:47 PM, Pat Maddox wrote:

> We need a wiki. The documentation and PBE are really good, but the authors have limited time to manage them, and only focus on the things that they deem important. Which is entirely fair. But there are is tons of tacit knowledge in the Pharo community that should be organized and made explicit. Wikis are great for that, enabling anyone to add content and to organize it over time.

There is this, too:

        http://book.pharo-project.org/

which I always forget about...

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: Loading Projects

We should have a metacello browser and just to click on a project and it should load because it should be certified to load by jenkins. :)

On Nov 8, 2011, at 4:36 PM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> From the user list (http://forum.world.st/GlorpDBX-td3932313.html)...
>
> Jonathan Kelly wrote:
>>
>> feeling particularly stupid right now. Been trying to get Xxx
>> working... for the last 2 hours and I'm busted. It took me
>> about an out just to find out how to load and configure things. ugh. It
>> took me a while to work out I had to actually install...
>>

> Let's make sure we never leave users with this experience. How do we create
> a seamless loading experience for people that have not been keenly following
> the Metacello & Pharo lists for the last year? If I downloaded Pharo today,
> where's the central access point I would go to load something? Things seem
> scattered - Metacello configurations can all be found in
> MetacelloRepository... unless they are with their projects... or both, with
> one or the other out of date. Loading scripts are often posted to the list,
> but do they ever get captured into a configuration?
>
> It's embarrassing, but I didn't even know about Metacello's Toolboox API
> unless I read the beta chapter from PBE2 yesterday - I thought configs all
> had to be coded by hand! - so I never quite "had the time".

:)

do you have english mistakes? because imagine that we write in a foreign language all the time and this is slowing us :)
and we feel like idiots most of the time.

> What can we create to tighten up this process and empower (especially new)
> users?

Yes with a repository by distribution and a browser showing the configurationOf of the published projects.

Stef

> Sean

Re: Loading Projects

Jeff Gray
I happily feel like an idiot in English and it's my first language :-)