jtuchel
Hi,

I just tried to install Seaside 3.0.3 into a freshly downloaded Squeak
4.4 all-in-one image using the SqueakMap Package Loader.

The result is an exception during download/installation:

Could not access http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Grease

I think the url should be changed to http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/grease
(note the difference between Grease and grease), at least that url can
be accessed from a web browser while Grease can't.
What has to be changed where? Who can submit it where it belongs to?

Joachim

Re: Loading Seaside 3.03 into Squeak 4.4

Tobias Pape
Am 22.08.2013 um 15:46 schrieb "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> I just tried to install Seaside 3.0.3 into a freshly downloaded Squeak 4.4 all-in-one image using the SqueakMap Package Loader.
>
> The result is an exception during download/installation:
>
> Could not access http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Grease
>
> I think the url should be changed to http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/grease (note the difference between Grease and grease), at least that url can be accessed from a web browser while Grease can't.
> What has to be changed where? Who can submit it where it belongs to?

In Fact, it should be http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ss/grease, not http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/grease.

OTOH, Why do you want to install an outdated version of Seaside?
The current is 3.0.8, an All-in-one image is also available
from the ftp.

Best
        -Tobias

Re: Loading Seaside 3.03 into Squeak 4.4

Chris Muller-3
Hi Joachim, the SqueakMap entry for Grease is Community Supported,
which means anyone has the authority to update it.

If you know what needs to be done, you can just do it.  Select "Edit
Release" from the context menu, make the corrections, click the Save
button.

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 8:46 AM, [hidden email]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just tried to install Seaside 3.0.3 into a freshly downloaded Squeak 4.4
> all-in-one image using the SqueakMap Package Loader.
>
> The result is an exception during download/installation:
>
> Could not access http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Grease
>
> I think the url should be changed to http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/grease (note
> the difference between Grease and grease), at least that url can be accessed
> from a web browser while Grease can't.
> What has to be changed where? Who can submit it where it belongs to?
>

> Joachim
>
> --
> -- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
> Objektfabrik Joachim Tuchel          mailto:[hidden email]
> Fliederweg 1                         http://www.objektfabrik.de
> D-71640 Ludwigsburg                  http://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com
> Telefon: +49 7141 56 10 86 0         Fax: +49 7141 56 10 86 1

Re: Loading Seaside 3.03 into Squeak 4.4

Chris Muller-3
Tobias, I'm having trouble finding your note about installing the
latest Seaside.  Could you provide a link to the ftp?

Is there an install script to install Seaside into an existing trunk
image, in case it is not feasible to start with the All-In-One?

Thanks.

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 9:01 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 22.08.2013 um 15:46 schrieb "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just tried to install Seaside 3.0.3 into a freshly downloaded Squeak 4.4 all-in-one image using the SqueakMap Package Loader.
>>
>> The result is an exception during download/installation:
>>
>> Could not access http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Grease
>>
>> I think the url should be changed to http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/grease (note the difference between Grease and grease), at least that url can be accessed from a web browser while Grease can't.
>> What has to be changed where? Who can submit it where it belongs to?
>

> In Fact, it should be http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ss/grease, not http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/grease.
>
> OTOH, Why do you want to install an outdated version of Seaside?
> The current is 3.0.8, an All-in-one image is also available
> from the ftp.
>
> Best
>         -Tobias

Re: Loading Seaside 3.03 into Squeak 4.4

jtuchel
Hi Tobias,

first of all, thanks for your time and help!

Am 22.08.13 16:01, schrieb Tobias Pape:

> Am 22.08.2013 um 15:46 schrieb "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just tried to install Seaside 3.0.3 into a freshly downloaded Squeak 4.4 all-in-one image using the SqueakMap Package Loader.
>>
>> The result is an exception during download/installation:
>>
>> Could not access http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Grease
>>
>> I think the url should be changed to http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/grease (note the difference between Grease and grease), at least that url can be accessed from a web browser while Grease can't.
>> What has to be changed where? Who can submit it where it belongs to?
>
> In Fact, it should be http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ss/grease, not http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/grease.
thanks. I hope I can change that somewhere.

BTW: is the 4.4 distribution at squeak.org current? Is there a newer
distro? I can hardly believe I am the first to encounter this problem.

OTOH, Why do you want to install an outdated version of Seaside?

Well, beacuse it is the newest that is present in the SqueakMap Catalog
in the latest Squeak 4.4 image as I have downloaded it today from
Squeak.org.
If there is a newer one that I can load into Squeak without first
studying ConfigurationOf..., Gofer, Meta- and MOnticello first, I prefer
to load a newer one. Especially if it can be loaded easier.

> The current is 3.0.8, an All-in-one image is also available
> from the ftp.
which ftp? Seaside? Squeak? Can you provide a link?

Please allow me a little comment on this topic.
I've been trying to dive into Squeak or Pharo several times over the
last few years. Literally every single time I started over, I had
problems like this.
All I wanted was a Squeak or Pharo Image with both Seaside and Magma
loaded. My first attempt was with Squeak 3.9, and it was the last time I
could load both into one image without any problems. Most of the times
when I asked for help with this, I was offered some premade-Image with
one or both of them in it. But that is not good enough. I need
reproducible artefacts if I want to use code for a system that I want to
work - commercially or not.

Joachim

> Best
> -Tobias

Re: Loading Seaside 3.03 into Squeak 4.4

jtuchel
Chris,

I cannot save without a SqueakMap password.
But if - as Tobias wrote - this is a dated version anyways, I am
probably using the wrong Image, Tool for importing code, whatever. Maybe
I should just use the right one.

The question is: which one is it and where do I find it?

Joachim

Am 22.08.2013 um 20:19 schrieb "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Tobias,
>
> first of all, thanks for your time and help!
>
> Am 22.08.13 16:01, schrieb Tobias Pape:
>> Am 22.08.2013 um 15:46 schrieb "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just tried to install Seaside 3.0.3 into a freshly downloaded Squeak 4.4 all-in-one image using the SqueakMap Package Loader.
>>>
>>> The result is an exception during download/installation:
>>>
>>> Could not access http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Grease
>>>
>>> I think the url should be changed to http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/grease (note the difference between Grease and grease), at least that url can be accessed from a web browser while Grease can't.
>>> What has to be changed where? Who can submit it where it belongs to?
>>
>> In Fact, it should be http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ss/grease, not http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/grease.
> thanks. I hope I can change that somewhere.
>
> BTW: is the 4.4 distribution at squeak.org current? Is there a newer distro? I can hardly believe I am the first to encounter this problem.
>
> OTOH, Why do you want to install an outdated version of Seaside?
>
> Well, beacuse it is the newest that is present in the SqueakMap Catalog in the latest Squeak 4.4 image as I have downloaded it today from Squeak.org.
> If there is a newer one that I can load into Squeak without first studying ConfigurationOf..., Gofer, Meta- and MOnticello first, I prefer to load a newer one. Especially if it can be loaded easier.
It should, however things are fragile at the moment due to a lot of independent components involved
are currently moving.
Monticello has a HTTP problem (I think I really should fix that).
Metacello is in a transitional state as the scripting api is to be finalized soon.
Seaside is being prepared for 3.1 and so Configurations are being worked on.
A lot of project are migrating repositories.

long story short, I cannot guarantee that either the squeakmap entry or the metacello
config are working, but we are short on staff recently :)

I also hope that we find time to put a seaside job on http://build.squeak.org/

>> The current is 3.0.8, an All-in-one image is also available
>> from the ftp.
> which ftp? Seaside? Squeak? Can you provide a link?
>
> Please allow me a little comment on this topic.
> I've been trying to dive into Squeak or Pharo several times over the last few years. Literally every single time I started over, I had problems like this.
> All I wanted was a Squeak or Pharo Image with both Seaside and Magma loaded. My first attempt was with Squeak 3.9, and it was the last time I could load both into one image without any problems. Most of the times when I asked for help with this, I was offered some premade-Image with one or both of them in it. But that is not good enough. I need reproducible artefacts if I want to use code for a system that I want to work - commercially or not.

You raise an important topic. I would say, we are aware that jumpstarting Squeak, or Seaside on Squeak
is currently not really obvious nor easy.

That being said, I am curious, what your expected experience would be :)

Best
        -Tobias

Re: Loading Seaside 3.03 into Squeak 4.4

Hannes Hirzel
>> The current is 3.0.8, an All-in-one image is also available
>> from the ftp.
> which ftp? Seaside? Squeak? Can you provide a link?

ftp://ftp.squeak.org/4.4/seaside/

It was prepared by Tobias Pape and he put instructions inside how it was made.

--Hannes