classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Loading Seaside via Bootstrap in Pharo 6

Torsten Bergmann
Hi,

regarding the problem Sven mentioned on http://lists.pharo.org/pipermail/pharo-users_lists.pharo.org/2017-February/030542.html

here are my findings:

When I use latest Pharo 6 (Image 60404) and run

Metacello new
     smalltalkhubUser: 'Seaside' project: 'MetacelloConfigurations';
     configuration: 'Seaside3';
     version: #'release3.2';
     load

it loads the latest release 3.2 (which internally loads 3.2.1).  The package is "ConfigurationOfSeaside3-JohanBrichau.323.mcz"

This loads fine in Pharo 6 except that after installation the "Tools" -> "Seaside control panel" is not working anymore as
"NewListModel" is not found anymore. So the control panel is broken. Dont know what the migration path is for UI's
who used the removed "NewListModel" class.

So yes - one can (by using the above script) use Seaside but currently has to start the server with a script
until this is fixed. This is good to know - but does not solve the "loading from catalog" issue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So (in a fresh image 60404) I loaded "Bootstrap" from catalog and I received the error Sven reported.

But ConfigurationOfBootstrap itself is not the problem I guess. Because it is also only referencing the
"release3.2" version of Seaside and also "ConfigurationOfSeaside3-JohanBrichau.323.mcz" is loaded.

The Transcript shows the following error output:

Loaded -> ConfigurationOfSeaside3-JohanBrichau.323 --- http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main/ ---  
  http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main/Error: Name not found: Seaside-Pharo-Development

Also when you try to open the ConfigurationOfSeaside3 using Versionner I receiver an error "Name not found: Seaside-Pharo-Development".

So there must be something wrong with the Seaside config I thought - or (what would be worse) with the newer Metacello
version included in Pharo 6. At least the config looks OK and in both situations "ConfigurationOfSeaside3-JohanBrichau.323" is used.

Additionally I tried:

- when I load the Bootstrap config in a fresh Pharo 5.0 image (50769) from Catalog all loads fine.
 - when I manipulate the Pharo 6 image to have a version 5 signature
       SystemVersion newVersion: 'Pharo5.0'. SystemVersion  current inspect.
   and load from catalog afterwards it also does not work. So I guess a Pharo 5.x specific config rule could not be the cause.

Now I checked how Catalog loads the configs. And in class CatalogProject you will notice that for the catalog we still use Gofer for loading

installStableVersion
        Gofer it
                url: self repositoryUrl;
                configurationOf: self name;
                loadStable

when I change it to Metacello API

installStableVersion
          Metacello new
                repository: self repositoryUrl, '/',self name;
                configuration: self name;
                version: #'stable';
                load

what a surprise: anything loads fine. I still wonder and do not know about the difference why Gofer and Metacello loading in Pharo 6
makes a difference now.

So we could fix it for the catalog ... still I have no glue about the Gofer/Metacello API difference ...

https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/19736/Catalog-should-use-Metacello-API-instead-of-Gofer-for-Configuration-installation

Thanks
T.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Loading Seaside via Bootstrap in Pharo 6

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi Torsten,

Thanks for your extensive reply, I am too busy to try myself, but I very much appreciate your help.

Sven

(PS: yes, that was the error that I saw too)

> On 21 Feb 2017, at 14:24, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> regarding the problem Sven mentioned on http://lists.pharo.org/pipermail/pharo-users_lists.pharo.org/2017-February/030542.html
>
> here are my findings:
>
> When I use latest Pharo 6 (Image 60404) and run
>
>  Metacello new
>     smalltalkhubUser: 'Seaside' project: 'MetacelloConfigurations';
>     configuration: 'Seaside3';
>     version: #'release3.2';
>     load
>
> it loads the latest release 3.2 (which internally loads 3.2.1).  The package is "ConfigurationOfSeaside3-JohanBrichau.323.mcz"
>
> This loads fine in Pharo 6 except that after installation the "Tools" -> "Seaside control panel" is not working anymore as
> "NewListModel" is not found anymore. So the control panel is broken. Dont know what the migration path is for UI's
> who used the removed "NewListModel" class.
>
> So yes - one can (by using the above script) use Seaside but currently has to start the server with a script
> until this is fixed. This is good to know - but does not solve the "loading from catalog" issue.
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> So (in a fresh image 60404) I loaded "Bootstrap" from catalog and I received the error Sven reported.
>
> But ConfigurationOfBootstrap itself is not the problem I guess. Because it is also only referencing the
> "release3.2" version of Seaside and also "ConfigurationOfSeaside3-JohanBrichau.323.mcz" is loaded.
>
>
> The Transcript shows the following error output:
>
>  Loaded -> ConfigurationOfSeaside3-JohanBrichau.323 --- http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main/ ---  
>  http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main/Error: Name not found: Seaside-Pharo-Development
>
> Also when you try to open the ConfigurationOfSeaside3 using Versionner I receiver an error "Name not found: Seaside-Pharo-Development".
>
> So there must be something wrong with the Seaside config I thought - or (what would be worse) with the newer Metacello
> version included in Pharo 6. At least the config looks OK and in both situations "ConfigurationOfSeaside3-JohanBrichau.323" is used.
>
> Additionally I tried:
>
> - when I load the Bootstrap config in a fresh Pharo 5.0 image (50769) from Catalog all loads fine.
> - when I manipulate the Pharo 6 image to have a version 5 signature
>       SystemVersion newVersion: 'Pharo5.0'. SystemVersion  current inspect.
>   and load from catalog afterwards it also does not work. So I guess a Pharo 5.x specific config rule could not be the cause.
>
>
> Now I checked how Catalog loads the configs. And in class CatalogProject you will notice that for the catalog we still use Gofer for loading
>
>   installStableVersion
> Gofer it
> url: self repositoryUrl;
> configurationOf: self name;
> loadStable
>
> when I change it to Metacello API
>
>    installStableVersion
>  Metacello new
> repository: self repositoryUrl, '/',self name;
> configuration: self name;
> version: #'stable';
> load
>
> what a surprise: anything loads fine. I still wonder and do not know about the difference why Gofer and Metacello loading in Pharo 6
> makes a difference now.
>
> So we could fix it for the catalog ... still I have no glue about the Gofer/Metacello API difference ...
>
> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/19736/Catalog-should-use-Metacello-API-instead-of-Gofer-for-Configuration-installation
>
>
> Thanks
> T.

Reply | Threaded
|

Dale Henrichs-3
In reply to this post by Torsten Bergmann
Torsten,

I don't know whether Pharo uses the latest version of Metacello from
github when building Pharo6.0 ... historically Pharo has not used the
latest version from github and this has been  the case for a very long
time and I've been hoping that eventually this would be solved, but
perhaps not?

There haven't been any bugfixes to Metacello since November, but perhaps
they are lagging behind more than that?

Dale

On 02/21/2017 05:24 AM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> regarding the problem Sven mentioned on http://lists.pharo.org/pipermail/pharo-users_lists.pharo.org/2017-February/030542.html
>
> here are my findings:
>
>
>    Metacello new
>       smalltalkhubUser: 'Seaside' project: 'MetacelloConfigurations';
>       configuration: 'Seaside3';
>       version: #'release3.2';
>       load
>
> it loads the latest release 3.2 (which internally loads 3.2.1).  The package is "ConfigurationOfSeaside3-JohanBrichau.323.mcz"
>
> This loads fine in Pharo 6 except that after installation the "Tools" -> "Seaside control panel" is not working anymore as
> "NewListModel" is not found anymore. So the control panel is broken. Dont know what the migration path is for UI's
>
> So yes - one can (by using the above script) use Seaside but currently has to start the server with a script
> until this is fixed. This is good to know - but does not solve the "loading from catalog" issue.
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> So (in a fresh image 60404) I loaded "Bootstrap" from catalog and I received the error Sven reported.
>
> But ConfigurationOfBootstrap itself is not the problem I guess. Because it is also only referencing the
> "release3.2" version of Seaside and also "ConfigurationOfSeaside3-JohanBrichau.323.mcz" is loaded.
>
>
>
>    Loaded -> ConfigurationOfSeaside3-JohanBrichau.323 --- http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main/ ---
>    http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main/Error: Name not found: Seaside-Pharo-Development
>
> Also when you try to open the ConfigurationOfSeaside3 using Versionner I receiver an error "Name not found: Seaside-Pharo-Development".
>
> So there must be something wrong with the Seaside config I thought - or (what would be worse) with the newer Metacello
> version included in Pharo 6. At least the config looks OK and in both situations "ConfigurationOfSeaside3-JohanBrichau.323" is used.
>
> Additionally I tried:
>
>   - when I load the Bootstrap config in a fresh Pharo 5.0 image (50769) from Catalog all loads fine.
>   - when I manipulate the Pharo 6 image to have a version 5 signature
>         SystemVersion newVersion: 'Pharo5.0'. SystemVersion  current inspect.
>     and load from catalog afterwards it also does not work. So I guess a Pharo 5.x specific config rule could not be the cause.
>
>
> Now I checked how Catalog loads the configs. And in class CatalogProject you will notice that for the catalog we still use Gofer for loading
>    
>     installStableVersion
> Gofer it
> loadStable
>
>
>      installStableVersion
>  Metacello new
> load
>
> what a surprise: anything loads fine. I still wonder and do not know about the difference why Gofer and Metacello loading in Pharo 6
>
> So we could fix it for the catalog ... still I have no glue about the Gofer/Metacello API difference ...
>
> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/19736/Catalog-should-use-Metacello-API-instead-of-Gofer-for-Configuration-installation
>
>  
> Thanks
> T.

Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi Torsten,

> On 21 Feb 2017, at 14:24, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>
> here are my findings:
>
>
>  Metacello new
>     smalltalkhubUser: 'Seaside' project: 'MetacelloConfigurations';
>     configuration: 'Seaside3';
>     version: #'release3.2';
>     load
>

Yes that worked for me too.

I then had to load my own project using the same API, so not:

ConfigurationOfBetaNineT3 project bleedingEdge load: 'trackit'.

But:

Metacello new
    configuration: 'BetaNineT3';
    version: #bleedingEdge;  
    load: 'trackit'.

This then loaded Bootstrap as needed (with Seaside already present).

Here is how I quickly patched the control panel:

WAPharoServerAdapterSpecBrowser>>#initializeWidgets

self instantiateModels: #(
                listModel ListModel
                textModel TextModel
                toolbarModel WAServerAdapterToolbar).

WAPharoServerAdapterSpecBrowser>>initializePresenter

self initializeAdaptors.

textModel aboutToStyle: false.

listModel
                whenSelectedItemChanged: [ :selection | adaptor := selection. self updateUIState];
                whenListChanged: [ self updateUIState];
                displayBlock: [ :item | (item class name,' ',item statusString) asStringMorph ];
                "icons: [ :item | self iconForAdaptor: item];
                iconMaxSize: 16@16;"
                menu: [ :aMenu | self adaptorsMenu: aMenu].

self focusOrder
                add: listModel;
                add: toolbarModel;
                add: textModel.

self disableAllButtons

So I replaced NewListModel with ListModel and I commented out the icon related stuff. This might be a bit too quick&dirty, I don't know.

>
>
>
>
>
>
>  Loaded -> ConfigurationOfSeaside3-JohanBrichau.323 --- http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main/ ---  
>  http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main/Error: Name not found: Seaside-Pharo-Development
>
>
>
> Additionally I tried:
>
> - when I load the Bootstrap config in a fresh Pharo 5.0 image (50769) from Catalog all loads fine.
> - when I manipulate the Pharo 6 image to have a version 5 signature
>       SystemVersion newVersion: 'Pharo5.0'. SystemVersion  current inspect.
>   and load from catalog afterwards it also does not work. So I guess a Pharo 5.x specific config rule could not be the cause.
>
>
>
>   installStableVersion
> Gofer it
> loadStable
>
>
>    installStableVersion
>  Metacello new
> load
>
>
>
>
>
> Thanks
> T.

Reply | Threaded
|

stepharong
On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 14:24:32 +0100, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]>  
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> regarding the problem Sven mentioned on  
> http://lists.pharo.org/pipermail/pharo-users_lists.pharo.org/2017-February/030542.html
>
> here are my findings:
>
>
>   Metacello new
>      smalltalkhubUser: 'Seaside' project: 'MetacelloConfigurations';
>      configuration: 'Seaside3';
>      version: #'release3.2';
>      load
>
> it loads the latest release 3.2 (which internally loads 3.2.1).  The  
> package is "ConfigurationOfSeaside3-JohanBrichau.323.mcz"
>
> This loads fine in Pharo 6 except that after installation the "Tools" ->  
> "Seaside control panel" is not working anymore as
> "NewListModel" is not found anymore. So the control panel is broken.

OOPS I thought that we deprecated it or not even removed it but changed  
the underlying
implementation. We should fix that.

> Dont know what the migration path is for UI's
>
> So yes - one can (by using the above script) use Seaside but currently  
> has to start the server with a script
> until this is fixed. This is good to know - but does not solve the  
> "loading from catalog" issue.
>

Reply | Threaded
|

stepharong
In reply to this post by Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
I do not know when we removed NewListModel
We should check that.
And probably update clients to use ListModel.
Stef

> Hi Torsten,
>
>> On 21 Feb 2017, at 14:24, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> regarding the problem Sven mentioned on  
>> http://lists.pharo.org/pipermail/pharo-users_lists.pharo.org/2017-February/030542.html
>>
>> here are my findings:
>>
>> When I use latest Pharo 6 (Image 60404) and run
>>
>>  Metacello new
>>     smalltalkhubUser: 'Seaside' project: 'MetacelloConfigurations';
>>     configuration: 'Seaside3';
>>     version: #'release3.2';
>>     load
>>
>> it loads the latest release 3.2 (which internally loads 3.2.1).  The  
>> package is "ConfigurationOfSeaside3-JohanBrichau.323.mcz"
>
> Yes that worked for me too.
>
> I then had to load my own project using the same API, so not:
>
> ConfigurationOfBetaNineT3 project bleedingEdge load: 'trackit'.
>
> But:
>
> Metacello new
>     configuration: 'BetaNineT3';
>     version: #bleedingEdge;
>     load: 'trackit'.
>
> This then loaded Bootstrap as needed (with Seaside already present).
>
>> This loads fine in Pharo 6 except that after installation the "Tools"  
>> -> "Seaside control panel" is not working anymore as
>> "NewListModel" is not found anymore. So the control panel is broken.  
>> Dont know what the migration path is for UI's
>> who used the removed "NewListModel" class.
>
> Here is how I quickly patched the control panel:
>
> WAPharoServerAdapterSpecBrowser>>#initializeWidgets
>
> self instantiateModels: #(
> listModel ListModel
> textModel TextModel
> toolbarModel WAServerAdapterToolbar).
>
> WAPharoServerAdapterSpecBrowser>>initializePresenter
>
> self initializeAdaptors.
>
> textModel aboutToStyle: false.
>
> listModel
> whenSelectedItemChanged: [ :selection | adaptor := selection. self  
> updateUIState];
> whenListChanged: [ self updateUIState];
> displayBlock: [ :item | (item class name,' ',item statusString)  
> asStringMorph ];
> "icons: [ :item | self iconForAdaptor: item];
> iconMaxSize: 16@16;"
> menu: [ :aMenu | self adaptorsMenu: aMenu].
>
> self focusOrder
> add: listModel;
> add: toolbarModel;
> add: textModel.
>
> self disableAllButtons
>
> So I replaced NewListModel with ListModel and I commented out the icon  
> related stuff. This might be a bit too quick&dirty, I don't know.
>
>> So yes - one can (by using the above script) use Seaside but currently  
>> has to start the server with a script
>> until this is fixed. This is good to know - but does not solve the  
>> "loading from catalog" issue.
>>
>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> So (in a fresh image 60404) I loaded "Bootstrap" from catalog and I  
>> received the error Sven reported.
>>
>> But ConfigurationOfBootstrap itself is not the problem I guess. Because  
>> it is also only referencing the
>> "release3.2" version of Seaside and also  
>> "ConfigurationOfSeaside3-JohanBrichau.323.mcz" is loaded.
>>
>>
>> The Transcript shows the following error output:
>>
>>  Loaded -> ConfigurationOfSeaside3-JohanBrichau.323 ---  
>> http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main/ ---
>>  http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main/Error: 
>> Name not found: Seaside-Pharo-Development
>>
>> Also when you try to open the ConfigurationOfSeaside3 using Versionner  
>> I receiver an error "Name not found: Seaside-Pharo-Development".
>>
>> So there must be something wrong with the Seaside config I thought - or  
>> (what would be worse) with the newer Metacello
>> version included in Pharo 6. At least the config looks OK and in both  
>> situations "ConfigurationOfSeaside3-JohanBrichau.323" is used.
>>
>> Additionally I tried:
>>
>> - when I load the Bootstrap config in a fresh Pharo 5.0 image (50769)  
>> from Catalog all loads fine.
>> - when I manipulate the Pharo 6 image to have a version 5 signature
>>       SystemVersion newVersion: 'Pharo5.0'. SystemVersion  current  
>> inspect.
>>   and load from catalog afterwards it also does not work. So I guess a  
>> Pharo 5.x specific config rule could not be the cause.
>>
>>
>> Now I checked how Catalog loads the configs. And in class  
>> CatalogProject you will notice that for the catalog we still use Gofer  
>> for loading
>>
>>   installStableVersion
>> Gofer it
>> url: self repositoryUrl;
>> configurationOf: self name;
>> loadStable
>>
>> when I change it to Metacello API
>>
>>    installStableVersion
>>  Metacello new
>> repository: self repositoryUrl, '/',self name;
>> configuration: self name;
>> version: #'stable';
>> load
>>
>> what a surprise: anything loads fine. I still wonder and do not know  
>> about the difference why Gofer and Metacello loading in Pharo 6
>> makes a difference now.
>>
>> So we could fix it for the catalog ... still I have no glue about the  
>> Gofer/Metacello API difference ...
>>
>> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/19736/Catalog-should-use-Metacello-API-instead-of-Gofer-for-Configuration-installation
>>
>>
>> Thanks
>> T.
>
>

--
Using Opera's mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Reply | Threaded
|

CyrilFerlicot
On 25/02/2017 17:27, stepharong wrote:
> I do not know when we removed NewListModel
> We should check that.
> And probably update clients to use ListModel.
> Stef
>
>

It was in Pharo 60089:

https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/15849

--
Cyril Ferlicot

http://www.synectique.eu

2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

signature.asc (817 bytes) Download Attachment