bpi

Hi Juan,

I succeeded in loading the StyledTextEditor using a FileList. Installation is much easier in Cuis 4.2 thanks to the new Feature feature. Great!

I would like to build a script to load all packages. However, it seems that currently loading packages in subdirectories of the packages folder, e.g. the StyledTextEditor, currently does not work. Should the following work?
(Feature name: #StyledText) require

I believe it would be better if the development image had all packages loaded to make sure everyone develops with all supported packages loaded. I guess this is a problem with the path inst var in Feature, right?

Cheers,
Bernhard
bpi

Supporting packages with their own Git repository was: Loading StyledText using a script

bpi
Hi all,

I really like the new Feature feature. I understand that it is not yet fully fleshed out. I would like to contribute a little.

First some assumptions:
1. Not every package should live in the Cuis-Smalltalk repository.
2. You cannot easily have one repository inside another repository. (I did some research on that.)
3. You don't want to put required all packages in every repository that needs them.
4. The Feature feature should still work.
5. You don't want to copy the packages directory out of the repository directory into your image directory. (If you did you would need to copy packages back every time you saved them and wanted to commit. Too clumsy, IMHO.)
6. The image directory itself should not be a repository. (Too many files you would need to ignore.)

Suppose I have two packages PackageA and PackageB living in their own repositories. If we can agree on the assumptions this leads to a directory layout similar to this one:

MyProject
        MyProject.image
        MyProject.changes
        Cog.app
        CuisV4.sources
        Cuis-Smalltalk
                .git
                README.md
                Cuis4.2-1766.image
                Cuis4.2-1766.changes
                Packages
                        Compression.pck.st
                        Sound.pck.st
        Cuis-Smalltalk-PackageA
                .git
                README.md
                PackageA.pck.st
        Cuis-Smalltalk-PackageB
                .git
                README.md
                PackageB.pck.st

I would like to be able to specify that PackageA requires PackageB and load both of them using the following:
(Feature name: #PackageA) require

I guess this would not work currently because the code would not search the directory Cuis-Smalltalk-PackageB.

How to solve this? I discussed a bit with Juan and we came up with some possible solutions:

a) Search all subdirectories of the image directory whose name starts with "Cuis-Smalltalk" (and possibly subdirectories named Packages?)
It would rely on the convention that everyone names their Cuis package repositories accordingly. IMO this would be good anyway for consistency and SEO reasons.

b) Tell Feature which paths to search, e.g. Feature addPath: './Cuis-Smalltalk-PackageA'; addPath: './Cuis-Smalltalk-PackageB'; ...
Then everyone could put their repositories where they want and name them like they want. The big problem I see with this is that you would have to execute this script for every image you create.

Having written this e-mail, I definitely prefer a) because:
1. It is easier to use. You just clone the Cuis-Smalltalk and any package repository you need into your image directory. The Feature feature just works.
2. You don't need to mess with paths in the image. (They look differently on Windows, Mac, and Linux.)
2. It satisfies "Convention over configuration".
3. It is easy to create a UI to list all possibly installable features.
4. We probably would not need the path inst var in Feature, right? This would make it much easier to release images with packages loaded.
5. If we would

What do you all think?

Cheers,
Bernhard

Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:

> Von: Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: Loading StyledText using a script
> Datum: 27. Juli 2013 19:10:43 MESZ
> An: Discussion of Cuis Smalltalk <[hidden email]>
>
> Hi Juan,
>
> I succeeded in loading the StyledTextEditor using a FileList. Installation is much easier in Cuis 4.2 thanks to the new Feature feature. Great!
>
> I would like to build a script to load all packages. However, it seems that currently loading packages in subdirectories of the packages folder, e.g. the StyledTextEditor, currently does not work. Should the following work?
> (Feature name: #StyledText) require
>
> I believe it would be better if the development image had all packages loaded to make sure everyone develops with all supported packages loaded. I guess this is a problem with the path inst var in Feature, right?
>
> Cheers,
> Bernhard

Re: Supporting packages with their own Git repository was: Loading StyledText using a script

Hannes Hirzel
Hello

For me both a) or b) would be fine.

However
SEO, Search Engine Optimization is a valuable asset.

and if Cuis searches the whole directory for packages it is easier to use.

--Hannes

On 7/28/13, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
>> Von: Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]>
>> Betreff: Loading StyledText using a script
>> Datum: 27. Juli 2013 19:10:43 MESZ
>> An: Discussion of Cuis Smalltalk <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Hi Juan,
>>
>> I succeeded in loading the StyledTextEditor using a FileList. Installation
>> is much easier in Cuis 4.2 thanks to the new Feature feature. Great!
>>
>> I would like to build a script to load all packages. However, it seems
>> that currently loading packages in subdirectories of the packages folder,
>> e.g. the StyledTextEditor, currently does not work. Should the following
>> work?
>> (Feature name: #StyledText) require
>>
>> I believe it would be better if the development image had all packages
>> loaded to make sure everyone develops with all supported packages loaded.
>> I guess this is a problem with the path inst var in Feature, right?

Re: Loading StyledText using a script

Hannes Hirzel
On 7/27/13, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Juan,
>
> I succeeded in loading the StyledTextEditor using a FileList. Installation
> is much easier in Cuis 4.2 thanks to the new Feature feature. Great!
>
> I would like to build a script to load all packages. However, it seems that
> currently loading packages in subdirectories of the packages folder, e.g.
> the StyledTextEditor, currently does not work. Should the following work?
> (Feature name: #StyledText) require

That would be desirable. Easy to use and what people expect.

> I believe it would be better if the development image had all packages
> loaded to make sure everyone develops with all supported packages loaded. I
> guess this is a problem with the path inst var in Feature, right?
>
> Cheers,
> Bernhard

Re: Supporting packages with their own Git repository was: Loading StyledText using a script

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Folks,

On 7/28/2013 2:01 PM, Bernhard Pieber wrote:

> [...]
>
> Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:
>
>> Von: Bernhard Pieber<[hidden email]>
>> Betreff: Loading StyledText using a script
>> Datum: 27. Juli 2013 19:10:43 MESZ
>> An: Discussion of Cuis Smalltalk<[hidden email]>
>>
>> Hi Juan,
>>
>> I succeeded in loading the StyledTextEditor using a FileList. Installation is much easier in Cuis 4.2 thanks to the new Feature feature. Great!
>>
>> I would like to build a script to load all packages. However, it seems that currently loading packages in subdirectories of the packages folder, e.g. the StyledTextEditor, currently does not work. Should the following work?
>> (Feature name: #StyledText) require
>>
>> I believe it would be better if the development image had all packages loaded to make sure everyone develops with all supported packages loaded. I guess this is a problem with the path inst var in Feature, right?

I like option a).

The pathname ivar in Feature should go away. I guess that the similar
ivar in CodePackage should be cleared at image save, to avoid problems
when moving to another machine... Or maybe use the same logic to detect
that the image was likely moved to another machine that is being used to
clear user initials. I need to take a look at this.

I'll be working on this while I integrate later changes to Features by
Ken, to support reqs with valid version ranges, and a few other
enhancements.

Please keep posting any further suggestions and comments...

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

bpi

Re: Supporting packages with their own Git repository was: Loading StyledText using a script

bpi
Hi Juan,

The fullFileName instvar should not be reset on image save. I would want to save the image during development and still be able to save the packages.

Hmm, what about images with preloaded packages? Hey, if we use option a) can't we just solve all problems with relative path names? Or even better, with a repository name instead of a path name?

If you moved an image to a place without the repositories checked out, you would get an error on save. What do you think?

Cheers,
Bernhard

Am 28.07.2013 um 21:52 schrieb Juan Vuletich:

> [...]
>
> Please keep posting any further suggestions and comments...
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

Re: Supporting packages with their own Git repository was: Loading StyledText using a script

Hannes Hirzel
On 7/28/13, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Juan,
>
> The fullFileName instvar should not be reset on image save. I would want to
> save the image during development and still be able to save the packages.
>
> Hmm, what about images with preloaded packages? Hey, if we use option a)
> can't we just solve all problems with relative path names? Or even better,
> with a repository name instead of a path name?
>
> If you moved an image to a place without the repositories checked out, you

Yes, but that is not so likely as you probably would move the whole
directory tree you used as an example in your initial mail in this
thread.

MyProject
        MyProject.image
        MyProject.changes
        Cog.app
        CuisV4.sources
        Cuis-Smalltalk
                .git
                README.md
                Cuis4.2-1766.image
                Cuis4.2-1766.changes
                Packages
                        Compression.pck.st
                        Sound.pck.st
        Cuis-Smalltalk-PackageA
                .git
                README.md
                PackageA.pck.st
        Cuis-Smalltalk-PackageB
                .git
                README.md
                PackageB.pck.st

--Hannes

What do you think?

> Cheers,
> Bernhard
>
> Am 28.07.2013 um 21:52 schrieb Juan Vuletich:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> On 7/28/2013 2:01 PM, Bernhard Pieber wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I really like the new Feature feature. I understand that it is not yet
>>> fully fleshed out. I would like to contribute a little.
>>>
>>> First some assumptions:
>>> 1. Not every package should live in the Cuis-Smalltalk repository.
>>> 2. You cannot easily have one repository inside another repository. (I
>>> did some research on that.)
>>> 3. You don't want to put required all packages in every repository that
>>> needs them.
>>> 4. The Feature feature should still work.
>>> 5. You don't want to copy the packages directory out of the repository
>>> directory into your image directory. (If you did you would need to copy
>>> packages back every time you saved them and wanted to commit. Too clumsy,
>>> IMHO.)
>>> 6. The image directory itself should not be a repository. (Too many files
>>> you would need to ignore.)
>>>
>>> Suppose I have two packages PackageA and PackageB living in their own
>>> repositories. If we can agree on the assumptions this leads to a
>>> directory layout similar to this one:
>>>
>>> MyProject
>>> MyProject.image
>>> MyProject.changes