Hubert Wagner
Hello List :
I'm a Mac OSX user new to SmallTalk and Pharo.

I'd like to experiment with Designer but cannot work out how to load the package and open in Pharo.

The instructions here :
https://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/trac/SqueakCommunityProjects/wiki/designer
produce the error below.

> Using Metacello, just run the following code in your workspace:
>
>> (Installer mc http: 'http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/squeaksource/')
>>    project: 'MetacelloRepository';
>>    install: 'ConfigurationOfDesigner'.
>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfDesigner) load.

Errors :
Unknown variable Installer

Note : Further, I'm unsure what is implied by the instruction, "Using Metacello…" unless this merely refers to the second line of the script.

May I request a set of instructions one might characterize as "designed for a nine year old" !

Regards : Hubert Wagner
France

Re: Loading and using Designer

Camillo Bruni-3

On 2012-09-27, at 17:12, Hubert Wagner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello List :
> I'm a Mac OSX user new to SmallTalk and Pharo.
>
> I'd like to experiment with Designer but cannot work out how to load the package and open in Pharo.

Looks like this project was built for Squeak (see Environment on the right side of the website).

Follow the instruction in this thread to install it in pharo

http://forum.world.st/Installing-Morphic-UI-designer-in-Pharo-1-1-td3093047.html

You can try it out in a newer version of pharo but no guarantee it will work :)

best
cami

Re: Loading and using Designer

It will probably not work.
We are working slowly on a new UIBuilder using spec but benjamin had to restart following lectures so
we make less progress on this site.

Stef

On Sep 27, 2012, at 5:12 PM, Hubert Wagner wrote:

> Hello List :
> I'm a Mac OSX user new to SmallTalk and Pharo.
>
> I'd like to experiment with Designer but cannot work out how to load the package and open in Pharo.
>
> The instructions here :
> https://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/trac/SqueakCommunityProjects/wiki/designer
> produce the error below.
>
>> Using Metacello, just run the following code in your workspace:
>>
>>> (Installer mc http: 'http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/squeaksource/')
>>>   project: 'MetacelloRepository';
>>>   install: 'ConfigurationOfDesigner'.
>>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfDesigner) load.
>
> Errors :
> Unknown variable Installer
>
> Note : Further, I'm unsure what is implied by the instruction, "Using Metacello…" unless this merely refers to the second line of the script.
>
> May I request a set of instructions one might characterize as "designed for a nine year old" !
>
> Regards : Hubert Wagner
> France

Re: Loading and using Designer

Igor Stasenko
On 27 September 2012 17:12, Hubert Wagner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello List :
> I'm a Mac OSX user new to SmallTalk and Pharo.
>
> I'd like to experiment with Designer but cannot work out how to load the package and open in Pharo.
>
> The instructions here :
> https://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/trac/SqueakCommunityProjects/wiki/designer
> produce the error below.
>
>> Using Metacello, just run the following code in your workspace:
>>
>>> (Installer mc http: 'http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/squeaksource/')
>>>    project: 'MetacelloRepository';
>>>    install: 'ConfigurationOfDesigner'.
>>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfDesigner) load.
>
> Errors :
> Unknown variable Installer

Pharo don't have Installer.
But there is Gofer which provides similar interface.

Gofer new
  url: 'http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/squeaksource/MetacelloRepository';
  package: 'ConfigurationOfDesigner';
  load.

(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfDesigner) load.

And it looks like Designer is targeting Squeak, so it may not work out
of the box on Pharo (otherwise authors would provide loading
instructions for Pharo as well).
So, even if you will be able to load it successfully, there's no
guarantee that it will work out of the box.
Of course, it is better to contact project developers to know for sure.

> Note : Further, I'm unsure what is implied by the instruction, "Using Metacello…" unless this merely refers to the second line of the script.
>
> May I request a set of instructions one might characterize as "designed for a nine year old" !

You can load the configuration package manually, using Monticello UI.
From world menu (click on empty space on desktop) -> Monticello Browser,
in opened window, click  +Repository , and then select 'http' repository type,
and after change the location of repository, i..e
'http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/squeaksource/MetacelloRepository'

after you do that, you can see it in a list of available repositories
in Monticello browser,
you just need to click on it, and then press 'open' button, and then
select the package you need to load
(in our case it will be ConfigurationOfDesigner), take the latest
version of it available,
and click load.

After you loaded it , the only thing which is left is to load the
configuration by doing :

ConfigurationOfDesigner load.

in workspace.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Loading and using Designer

Hubert Wagner
Gentlemen :

Paul deBruiker suggested :

> ConfigurationOfDesigner project latestVersion load

This works but eventually stalls at :

Some time ago I managed to load Designer manually as recommended by Igor Stasenko. ConfigurationOfDesigner is listed in the SystemBrowser but I didn't know how to activate it and I assumed I'd made some sort of error.

> ConfigurationOfDesigner load.

produces the error :
"The symbolic version #stable is not defined in ConfigurationOfDesigner"

It appears the package is not compatible with Pharo.
I will contact the developers as Igor Stasenko suggests.

Thank you all for your assistance.

Best Wishes : Hubert Wagner

Re: Loading and using Designer

Stéphane Ducasse
hubert

this is not that we did not look at Designer. We look at it. Now it is based on signal and
signal use thisContext all the times if I recall correctly.
In Pharo we are removing event mechanism, to use announcements.
And we did not want to add yet another event mechanisms.

Then we would like to have a uibuilder like in VW based on the reuse of composable
ui elements. This is why the rmod team payed benjamin during the summer and before
to work on Spec and an UIbuilder. Now benjamin did a lot but now he should go back to university.

So the work around UIBuilder is not something that we will stop but it will be more time than expected.
Please note that understanding what we really wanted and analyzing the available solution took us time.
Now we have a nice first version of the system.

Stef