melkyades
Ok, now I moved forward but cannot load vmmaker sources into a pharo 61 image, is that supported? I have this snippet that doesn't work:

Metacello new
filetreeDirectory: '../VMMaker/mc';
baseline: 'Spur';
load

where ../VMMaker/mc is a clone of the official pharo repo at github.

Cheers,
pocho

Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Re: Loading configuration of spur

Guillermo Polito
Hi,

I'll Esteban answer better but I don't know if that VMMaker mirror is up to date.

Taking a look at the images/newImage.sh script, it is using Pharo5.0. But I see no reason for it not working on latest versions. Probably some patches are required...

What is your error?

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 7:14 PM, Javier Pimás <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, now I moved forward but cannot load vmmaker sources into a pharo 61 image, is that supported? I have this snippet that doesn't work:

Metacello new
filetreeDirectory: '../VMMaker/mc';
baseline: 'Spur';
load

where ../VMMaker/mc is a clone of the official pharo repo at github.

Cheers,
pocho

--
Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Web: http://guillep.github.io

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Re: Loading configuration of spur

melkyades
Oh I forgot to write down the actual error. There is a MNU for BytecodeEncoder class>>#isExtension: which seems to have been removed from the image. It is a bit different to typical doesNotUnderstand errors because it opens an emergency evaluator and leaves the image unusable.

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 6:10 AM, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Phone: <a href="tel:06%2052%2070%2066%2013" value="+33652706613" target="_blank">+33 06 52 70 66 13

Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Re: Loading configuration of spur

Guillermo Polito
Hmm no idea. The best I can think about is that that VMMaker version is old (Pharo5 is at least 2 years old) and there is probably a dependency between VMMaker and the compiler (thus that BytecodeEncoder ref). IF VMMaker is overriding some methods in BytecodeEncoder, then what is happenning is that you're breaking the compiler (?).

In any case, again, that is not the official VMMaker repository but a mirror.

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 9:25 AM, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hmm no idea. The best I can think about is that that VMMaker version is old (Pharo5 is at least 2 years old) and there is probably a dependency between VMMaker and the compiler (thus that BytecodeEncoder ref). IF VMMaker is overriding some methods in BytecodeEncoder, then what is happenning is that you're breaking the compiler (?).

sounds very much like what i'm seeing.

In any case, again, that is not the official VMMaker repository but a mirror.

should I use the one here? http://source.squeak.org/VMMaker

Do you still use the one in github? Because if not I would recommend removing it as it is a bit misleading.

[...]

Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Re: Loading configuration of spur

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Javier,

> On Mar 11, 2018, at 11:14 AM, Javier Pimás <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ok, now I moved forward but cannot load vmmaker sources into a pharo 61 image, is that supported?

Both Clément and I use Squeak for vm development at the moment.  We don't have the cycles to keep it working in both as yet.

and vm development is in VMMaker.oscog in Monticello at source.squeak.org/VMMaker

> Cheers,
> pocho
>
> --
> Javier Pimás
> Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Re: Loading configuration of spur

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 12 Mar 2018, at 17:22, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Javier,
>

>> On Mar 11, 2018, at 11:14 AM, Javier Pimás <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Ok, now I moved forward but cannot load vmmaker sources into a pharo 61 image, is that supported?
>
> Both Clément and I use Squeak for vm development at the moment.  We don't have the cycles to keep it working in both as yet.

Which is a pity for a VM that is called Open Smalltalk.

The net result is that you are missing out on a much larger base of curious developers and potential contributors.

>> I have this snippet that doesn't work:
>>
>> Metacello new
>> filetreeDirectory: '../VMMaker/mc';
>> baseline: 'Spur';
>> load
>>
>> where ../VMMaker/mc is a clone of the official pharo repo at github.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> pocho
>>
>> --
>> Javier Pimás
>> Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Re: Loading configuration of spur

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Sven,

> On Mar 12, 2018, at 10:46 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 12 Mar 2018, at 17:22, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Javier,
>>

>>> On Mar 11, 2018, at 11:14 AM, Javier Pimás <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ok, now I moved forward but cannot load vmmaker sources into a pharo 61 image, is that supported?
>>
>> Both Clément and I use Squeak for vm development at the moment.  We don't have the cycles to keep it working in both as yet.
>
> Which is a pity for a VM that is called Open Smalltalk.
>
> The net result is that you are missing out on a much larger base of curious developers and potential contributors.

Agreed.  But it is hopefully only temporary.  The package did load in Pharo a few years ago, and the prospect of using GT tools is an incentive for getting this working again.  As the multiple bytecode set support stabilizes in both Squeak and Pharo I expect it to get easier to maintain VMMaker.oscog in both dialects.  VMMaker.oscog had to contain many patches to support the CM development of the SistaV1 bytecode set, and the load failure Javier is seeing is related to this.  As time allows I am eliminating these patches.  So hopefully it'll load in Pharo soon.

>>> I have this snippet that doesn't work:
>>>
>>> Metacello new
>>>        filetreeDirectory: '../VMMaker/mc';
>>>        baseline: 'Spur';
>>>        load
>>>
>>> where ../VMMaker/mc is a clone of the official pharo repo at github.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> pocho
>>>
>>> --
>>> Javier Pimás
>>> Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Re: Loading configuration of spur

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 12 Mar 2018, at 19:50, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Sven,
>
>> On Mar 12, 2018, at 10:46 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On 12 Mar 2018, at 17:22, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Javier,

>>> Both Clément and I use Squeak for vm development at the moment.  We don't have the cycles to keep it working in both as yet.
>>
>> Which is a pity for a VM that is called Open Smalltalk.
>>
>> The net result is that you are missing out on a much larger base of curious developers and potential contributors.
>
> Agreed.  But it is hopefully only temporary.  The package did load in Pharo a few years ago, and the prospect of using GT tools is an incentive for getting this working again.  As the multiple bytecode set support stabilizes in both Squeak and Pharo I expect it to get easier to maintain VMMaker.oscog in both dialects.  VMMaker.oscog had to contain many patches to support the CM development of the SistaV1 bytecode set, and the load failure Javier is seeing is related to this.  As time allows I am eliminating these patches.  So hopefully it'll load in Pharo soon.

That would be really great.

Re: Loading configuration of spur

Stephane Ducasse-3
I was reading the medium article of andrei and just discussing with
clement on how can we improve the tooling for the VM bug chasing and
other activities and this would be a really great improvement. I
should watch the videos of clement on debugging the JIT first.