NorbertHartl
Hi,

I like to bootstrap an image with my own application.
Until now I had a base installation of the application
and did an upgrade with a script provided at the command
line.

I use

repo := (MCDirectoryRepository new
            directory: (FileDirectory on: repositoryPath)
        ).
(repo loadVersionFromFileNamed: releaseFile) load.

Now I'm trying to do a bootstrap without having the
application installed. But the way I use it Monticello
is unable to resolve dependencies to file them in.
How can I provide Monticello with information where it
can find the files to resolve the dependencies?

thanks,

Norbert

Re: Loading package plus dependencies via monticello

Michael Rueger-6
Norbert Hartl wrote:

> How can I provide Monticello with information where it
> can find the files to resolve the dependencies?

For Sophie we use config maps, not dependencies.

You have to have all needed repositories already setup in the image
though for config maps to work.

Michael

On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 12:31 +0200, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Norbert Hartl wrote:
>
> > How can I provide Monticello with information where it
> > can find the files to resolve the dependencies?
>
> For Sophie we use config maps, not dependencies.
>
> You have to have all needed repositories already setup in the image
> though for config maps to work.

I read a few times people speaking of config maps. But to be honest
I've no glue what it is. And I have trouble finding some valuable
information how to use them.

Norbert Hartl wrote:

> I read a few times people speaking of config maps. But to be honest
> I've no glue what it is. And I have trouble finding some valuable
> information how to use them.

a quick google digs up this one:
http://tweakproject.org/ABOUT/FAQ/MCConfigurationUpdates/

Has nothing really to do with tweak ;-)

Michael

Re: Loading package plus dependencies via monticello

Edgar J. De Cleene

Para los que como yo , no saben todos los misterios de Moticello, hoy vino
esta información útil

On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 13:21 +0200, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Norbert Hartl wrote:
>
> > I read a few times people speaking of config maps. But to be honest
> > I've no glue what it is. And I have trouble finding some valuable
> > information how to use them.
>
> a quick google digs up this one:
> http://tweakproject.org/ABOUT/FAQ/MCConfigurationUpdates/
>
> Has nothing really to do with tweak ;-)

Ok, nice tool. In principal exact what I was looking for.
Unfortunately it doesn't support directory repositories
and it that way.

thanks,

Norbert

cbc

Re: Loading package plus dependencies via monticello

cbc
Ok, nice tool. In principal exact what I was looking for.
Unfortunately it doesn't support directory repositories
and it that way.

Hi Norbert,

Attached is a simple change set that will allow it to mostly support directories (I've been using it personally for a while now - there are undoubtedly places where there are holes).  Basically, it removes the protections that were put in to not use Directories.  If you think about it, using directory repositories for configurations is a really bad idea - if you share the config with someone else, they can't get to your repositories.  Heck, if the directory is local on your machine and you switch to another machine, they configuration isn't even useful for yourself.

That said, this will allow you to do it if you still want too.

-Chris

MCConfigForDirectory.1.cs (1K) Download Attachment

On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 14:48 -0700, Chris Cunningham wrote:

>         Ok, nice tool. In principal exact what I was looking for.
>         Unfortunately it doesn't support directory repositories
>         and it that way.
>
> Hi Norbert,
>
> Attached is a simple change set that will allow it to mostly support
> directories (I've been using it personally for a while now - there are
> undoubtedly places where there are holes).  Basically, it removes the
> protections that were put in to not use Directories.  If you think
> about it, using directory repositories for configurations is a really
> bad idea - if you share the config with someone else, they can't get
> to your repositories.  Heck, if the directory is local on your machine
> and you switch to another machine, they configuration isn't even
> useful for yourself.
>
> That said, this will allow you to do it if you still want too.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I partially agree that using directory
repositories is not the best idea. But in my opinion if you have
source code which isn't public it is a really bad idea to use http
repositories. So our team uses diretory repositories which we
sync via unison over ssh to a central server. I had a look at
HttpSocket und HttpsSocket to get https repositories into monticello
but I'm not the most experienced squeaker nor do I have enough time
to get deep enough into it.

thanks very much,

Norbert

sending text messages in and out of squeak from another application

LawsonEnglish
Hi. I'm trying to create a simple chat connection between Croquet and
Second Life, and it seems the most safe way to do this (to avoid leaking
private IM into a Croquet island) is to simply let Squeak display the
text i/o outside of Croquet.

So... how do I send a message to squeak and pass one back out of squeak?

This seems a fundamental thing to do, but I'm not sure how to start..

Thanks.

Lawson English.