Daniel Klein-4
In the parcel browser I see several parcels under OS-Windows with a [?]. I am specifically interested in loading 'Registry.pcl' and 'WindowsGoodies.pcl'.

How do I get these?

Dan

Re: Loading parcels with Windows components

Mike Bielser
Daniel Klein wrote:
> In the parcel browser I see several parcels under OS-Windows with a [?].
> I am specifically interested in loading 'Registry.pcl' and
> 'WindowsGoodies.pcl'.
>
> How do I get these?
>
> Dan

 From the VWLauncher, select menu item "System-->Parcel Manager". In the
window that opens, on the left hand side the tab "Suggestions" should be
preselected. Click on the folder "OS-Windows", then in the top right
pane click on "Windows Goodies". Right click brings up the context menu,
from this select "Load". That's it.

HTH
Mike

P.S.
The [?] means that no version info was supplied for the parcel

RE: Loading parcels with Windows components

Daniel Klein-4
Thanks but the 'Load' entry on the context menu is greyed out.

I guess I need to install something first but I don't know what it is and
where to get it.

Dan

> In the parcel browser I see several parcels under OS-Windows with a [?].
> I am specifically interested in loading 'Registry.pcl' and
> 'WindowsGoodies.pcl'.
>
> How do I get these?
>
> Dan

 From the VWLauncher, select menu item "System-->Parcel Manager". In the

Daniel Klein wrote:
> Thanks but the 'Load' entry on the context menu is greyed out.
>
> I guess I need to install something first but I don't know what it is and
> where to get it.
>
> Dan

Most likely it is already loaded (then the parcel/package icon is yellow
and the context menu item "Load" is grey i.e.disabled). When a
parcel/package is not loaded yet, the icon (in the upper right list
view) is white and the context menu item "Load" is enabled.

HTH
Mike

Re: Loading parcels with Windows components

Daniel Klein-4
Both 'Load' and 'Unload' are greyed out.

What component do I need to install? I checked the Cincom website but it's not obvious.

Dan

Mark Roberts
At 10:36 PM 6/20/2007, Mike Bielser wrote:
>Most likely it is already loaded (then the parcel/package icon is
>yellow and the context menu item "Load" is grey i.e.disabled). When
>a parcel/package is not loaded yet, the icon (in the upper right
>list view) is white and the context menu item "Load" is enabled.

No, the "?" icon in the Parcel Browser means that the component is
not found on the disk, i.e., it wasn't loaded at install time.

Sorry, but I'm not sure of the name of the component(s) you need.

Mark Roberts wrote:

> At 10:36 PM 6/20/2007, Mike Bielser wrote:
>> Most likely it is already loaded (then the parcel/package icon is
>> yellow and the context menu item "Load" is grey i.e.disabled). When a
>> parcel/package is not loaded yet, the icon (in the upper right list
>> view) is white and the context menu item "Load" is enabled.
>
> No, the "?" icon in the Parcel Browser means that the component is not
> found on the disk, i.e., it wasn't loaded at install time.
>
> Sorry, but I'm not sure of the name of the component(s) you need.

Well, the only thing I said is that within the brackets version info is
displayed, if possible (and a ? is displayed if this info is not found).
It even says so in the lower right pane in the properties tab! I didn't
say WHY I can't display this info ;)
Mike

At 08:33 PM 6/20/2007, Daniel Klein wrote:
In the parcel browser I see several parcels under OS-Windows with a [?]. I am specifically interested in loading 'Registry.pcl' and 'WindowsGoodies.pcl'.

Both of these parcels are apparently in one of the "Contributed" components. I'd try the main one first.

HTH,

Re: Loading parcels with Windows components

Alan Knight-2
At 07:33 AM 6/20/2007, Daniel Klein wrote:
In the parcel browser I see several parcels under OS-Windows with a [?]. I am specifically interested in loading 'Registry.pcl' and 'WindowsGoodies.pcl'.

How do I get these?

The question mark means that those parcels were not installed. So you'd have to specifically install the components you were interested in. The status bar of the window will tell you what the expected path to the parcel is, which would generally give you a pretty good idea of what you ought to be installing. So, for COM-All, you'd want to install COM Connect. For DLLCC, install DLLCC. For DotNetConnectInstaller, the Dot-Net Connect. A number of them are part of "contributed", either in the main contributed section, or listed as components in their own right. The list in the installer should let you figure out which.

Alan Knight [|], Cincom Smalltalk Development

Using SQLite?

Carl Gundel
I'd be very grateful for some direction about using SQLite with VisualWorks.
I have managed to mostly get something working with the EXDI stuff for
SQLite.  On the other hand it does seem kind of quirky and I wonder if I'm
doing something wrong.

Please chime in with any advice or warnings if you could.  What versions of
things are people using for example, and have you needed to patch anything?

Thanks,

-Carl Gundel, author of Liberty BASIC
http://www.libertybasic.com

[7.4.1]Time zone question

Carl Gundel
What do I need to do to get my VW application to know what time zone the
computer is set to use?  Shouldn't this be automatic?

Thanks,

-Carl Gundel, author of Liberty BASIC
http://www.libertybasic.com

Re: [7.4.1]Time zone question

Holger Kleinsorgen-3
Carl Gundel schrieb:
> What do I need to do to get my VW application to know what time zone the
> computer is set to use?  Shouldn't this be automatic?

load OSTimeZone or TimeSoZone from the public repository. Then doIt
"OSSystemSupportTimeZone use"

Re: [7.4.1]Time zone question

Holger Kleinsorgen-3
if you're wondering which package / version to use:

OSTimeZone 22
- OSSystemSupportTimeZone
- direct time accessing (Time osNow etc.)
- extends OSSystemSupport interface classes (i'm not sure if it still
overrides a few methods)

OSTimeZone (7.4).*
- OSSystemSupportTimeZone
- direct time accessing (Time osNow etc.)
- separate interface classes, no overrides
- utilizes ExternalInterfaceBashing voodoo to work around two DLLCC bugs
(that affect at least 7.4.1)

TimeSoZone
- OSSystemSupportTimeZone

Re: [7.4.1]Time zone question

Cesar Rabak
Carl Gundel escreveu:
> What do I need to do to get my VW application to know what time zone the
> computer is set to use?  Shouldn't this be automatic?

At the first sight it seems so, but as the Chronos library implementors
(http://www.chronos-st.org/) have put, it is not that easy
(http://www.chronos-st.org/Discovering%20the%20Local%20Time%20Zone--Why%20It%27s%20a%20Hard%20Problem.html)

HTH

--
Cesar Rabak
GNU/Linux User 52247.
Get counted: http://counter.li.org/

Re: [7.4.1]Time zone question

Randy Coulman

TimeSoZone just splits out one part of OSTimeZone (the OSSystemSupportTimeZone class), so if you don't need the extras from OSTimeZone, that's the one you should go with.

Also, note that there was a bug in OSSystemSupportTimeZone at the time it was pulled out from OSTimeZone.  I've fixed the bug in TimeSoZone, but not in OSTimeZone. If anyone is using that part of OSTimeZone, you might want to port the fix across.  Basically GMT conversion wasn't working in one direction (I forget which).

A better approach might be to pull the OSSystemSupportTimeZone out of OSTimeZone and just pre-req in TimeSoZone.  I didn't do any of that, as I didn't want to step on anyone's toes.

For our systems, we only need the one part, so we just cut over to TimeSoZone, which is why I haven't gone back to fix OSTimeZone.

Randy

On Jan 5, 2008 6:53 AM, Holger Kleinsorgen <[hidden email]> wrote:
if you're wondering which package / version to use:

OSTimeZone 22
- OSSystemSupportTimeZone
- direct time accessing (Time osNow etc.)
- extends OSSystemSupport interface classes (i'm not sure if it still
overrides a few methods)

OSTimeZone (7.4).*
- OSSystemSupportTimeZone
- direct time accessing (Time osNow etc.)
- separate interface classes, no overrides
- utilizes ExternalInterfaceBashing voodoo to work around two DLLCC bugs
(that affect at least 7.4.1)

TimeSoZone
- OSSystemSupportTimeZone

Randy Coulman

[7.4.1]TimeSoZone, Web Toolkit and Windows 2000

Carl Gundel
I did decide to use TimeSoZone and it seems to work fine except that once
loaded it causes Web Toolkit to stop serving files when running on Windows
2000.  :-/

-Carl Gundel, author of Liberty BASIC
http://www.libertybasic.com

> Carl Gundel schrieb:
>> What do I need to do to get my VW application to know what time zone the
>> computer is set to use?  Shouldn't this be automatic?
>
> load OSTimeZone or TimeSoZone from the public repository. Then doIt
> "OSSystemSupportTimeZone use"

RE: [7.4.1]TimeSoZone, Web Toolkit and Windows 2000

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Carl,

This probably won't help, but it works just fine for us on Windows
Server 2005.

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322