jannik laval
Dear pharoers,

I use Pharo in Windows 10 and MacOS.
I find a big difference of loading time between the 2 systems.

For loading Moose for example, In MacOS, it takes few minutes, but in Windows 10 it takes more than 15 minutes.
Also when I load Voyage, in MacOS, all loads correctly, but on Windows the path length is too long and generate an error.

Now, I am working exclusively on MacOS :).

Re: Loading project with Pharo

Ben Coman

On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 at 21:41, Jannik Laval <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear pharoers,

I use Pharo in Windows 10 and MacOS.
I find a big difference of loading time between the 2 systems.

For loading Moose for example, In MacOS, it takes few minutes, but in Windows 10 it takes more than 15 minutes.
Also when I load Voyage, in MacOS, all loads correctly, but on Windows the path length is too long and generate an error.

I expect the repo is in FIleTree format which has two problems on Windows:
* "file per method" produces a massive number of small files which the system struggles with
* long pathnames exceed Windows 256 character limit.

Tonel "file per class" format was designed to resolve both these problems on Windows (IIUC).

cheers -ben

Re: Loading project with Pharo

Christopher Fuhrman-2
On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 at 16:31, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 at 21:41, Jannik Laval <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear pharoers,

I use Pharo in Windows 10 and MacOS.
I find a big difference of loading time between the 2 systems.

For loading Moose for example, In MacOS, it takes few minutes, but in Windows 10 it takes more than 15 minutes.
Also when I load Voyage, in MacOS, all loads correctly, but on Windows the path length is too long and generate an error.

I expect the repo is in FIleTree format which has two problems on Windows:
* "file per method" produces a massive number of small files which the system struggles with
* long pathnames exceed Windows 256 character limit.

Tonel "file per class" format was designed to resolve both these problems on Windows (IIUC).

There is also the Windows Defender (virus) scanner that wants to look at all the new files coming down (you'll see it chewing more than 30% of the CPU when you pull down Moose). You can luckily create Exclusions for your Pharo image directory, or the Pharo.exe process. That helps a lot I found.

Cheers,

Cris

Re: Loading project with Pharo

jannik laval