Hannes Hirzel
Hello all

The Amber IDE is loaded through

<script type='text/javascript' src='support/amber.js'></script>
    <script type='text/javascript'
src='support/requirejs/require.min.js'></script>

Then amber.js pulls in a lot of small js files from the 'support' and
'js' directory.

How can I reconfigure this so that I need only one or two large file?

Kind regards

Hannes

Re: Loading the amber IDE with one or two files only?

Herby Vojčík
Not tried, but there is thing called require.js optimizer which does exactly this.

H. Hirzel wrote:

> Hello all
>
> The Amber IDE is loaded through
>
> <script type='text/javascript' src='support/amber.js'></script>
>      <script type='text/javascript'
> src='support/requirejs/require.min.js'></script>
>
> Then amber.js pulls in a lot of small js files from the 'support' and
> 'js' directory.
>
> How can I reconfigure this so that I need only one or two large file?
>
> Kind regards
>
> Hannes

Re: Loading the amber IDE with one or two files only?

Hannes Hirzel
Thank you, Herby. Has anybody done this following
      requirejs.org/docs/optimization.html

?

On 8/29/13, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not tried, but there is thing called require.js optimizer which does exactly
> this.
>
> H. Hirzel wrote:
>> Hello all
>>
>> The Amber IDE is loaded through
>>
>> <script type='text/javascript' src='support/amber.js'></script>
>>      <script type='text/javascript'
>> src='support/requirejs/require.min.js'></script>
>>
>> Then amber.js pulls in a lot of small js files from the 'support' and
>> 'js' directory.
>>
>> How can I reconfigure this so that I need only one or two large file?
>>
>> Kind regards
>>
>> Hannes

Re: Loading the amber IDE with one or two files only?

Hannes Hirzel
I imagine somebody might have a amberallcode.js file in his or her
fork of amber. There are 100.

BTW
http://docs.nodejitsu.com/articles/getting-started/what-is-require

H. Hirzel wrote:
> I imagine somebody might have a amberallcode.js file in his or her
> fork of amber. There are 100.

DId you try the requirejs optimizer? I am curious how it worked / did not work / what were the problems.

> BTW
> http://docs.nodejitsu.com/articles/getting-started/what-is-require

This explains CommonJS. It different thing than AMD. Even if both use 'require'.

What was the reason to post this link (I just don't understand)?

Herby

On 8/30/13, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> H. Hirzel wrote:
>> I imagine somebody might have a amberallcode.js file in his or her
>> fork of amber. There are 100.
>
> DId you try the requirejs optimizer? I am curious how it worked / did not
> work / what were the problems.

No, not yet. This has to wait until this or next weekend. I want to
run amber off a couchdb database instance. More background on why I
want this later.

>> BTW
>> http://docs.nodejitsu.com/articles/getting-started/what-is-require
>
> This explains CommonJS. It different thing than AMD. Even if both use
> 'require'.

Ah, I see. So amber uses the AMD Asynchronous Module Definition mechanism?

> What was the reason to post this link (I just don't understand)?

I am looking for background information about the module system used by amber.
I like how clean the amber code is presented these days. Excellent
work by you, Nicolas and the others.

Regarding a amberallcode.js  it seems that with the  link posted
earlier (how to use the require optimizer) I probably have all what I
need (black box approach, no need for understanding the inner workings
of the AMD mechanism).

H. Hirzel wrote:
> On 8/30/13, Herby Vojčík<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> This explains CommonJS. It different thing than AMD. Even if both use
>> 'require'.
>
> Ah, I see. So amber uses the AMD Asynchronous Module Definition mechanism?

Yes, it's that 'define' at the beginning of every module.

>> What was the reason to post this link (I just don't understand)?
>
> I am looking for background information about the module system used by amber.
> I like how clean the amber code is presented these days. Excellent
> work by you, Nicolas and the others.

Thanks.

Basically, the payload of the module is the same as before. Just now it
is carried by the wrapper that detaches globals (smalltalk, nil, _st)
making them local (that was the first step, up to legacy3-iife tag) and
subsequently using AMD as one of the proven ways to do JS modules (and
thus get rid of the propriery loader in favour of existing solutions out
there).

Re: Loading the amber IDE with one or two files only?

Hannes Hirzel
So far I am not terribly succesful

I have two directories

amber-master
and
require

require has r.js inside taken from http://requirejs.org/docs/download.html#rjs

I have the
    amber-master
directory as the current directory and issue

    amber-master\support>node ..\require\r.js -v
    r.js: 2.1.8, RequireJS: 2.1.8, UglifyJS2: 2.3.6, UglifyJS: 1.3.4

    node ..\..\require\r.js baseUrl=. name=amber out=amber-built.js

The answer is

    See https://github.com/jrburke/r.js for usage

And that says

r.js

A command line tool for running JavaScript scripts that use the
Asychronous Module Defintion API (AMD) for declaring and using
JavaScript modules and regular JavaScript script files.

It is part of the RequireJS project, and works with the RequireJS
implementation of AMD.

r.js is a single script that has two major functions:

    Run AMD-based projects in Node and Rhino.
    Includes the RequireJS Optimizer that combines scripts for optimal
browser delivery.

Does somebody have suggestions what else I can try?

--Hannes

On 8/30/13, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> H. Hirzel wrote:
>> On 8/30/13, Herby Vojčík<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> This explains CommonJS. It different thing than AMD. Even if both use
>>> 'require'.
>>
>> Ah, I see. So amber uses the AMD Asynchronous Module Definition
>> mechanism?
>
> Yes, it's that 'define' at the beginning of every module.
>
>>> What was the reason to post this link (I just don't understand)?
>>
>> I am looking for background information about the module system used by
>> amber.
>> I like how clean the amber code is presented these days. Excellent
>> work by you, Nicolas and the others.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Basically, the payload of the module is the same as before. Just now it
> is carried by the wrapper that detaches globals (smalltalk, nil, _st)
> making them local (that was the first step, up to legacy3-iife tag) and
> subsequently using AMD as one of the proven ways to do JS modules (and
> thus get rid of the propriery loader in favour of existing solutions out
> there).

Re: Loading the amber IDE with one or two files only?

Hannes Hirzel
P.S. the command lines are

C:\Users\User\Documents\amber-master\support>node ..\..\require\r.js -v
r.js: 2.1.8, RequireJS: 2.1.8, UglifyJS2: 2.3.6, UglifyJS: 1.3.4

and

C:\Users\User\Documents\amber-master\support>node ..\..\require\r.js
baseUrl=. name=amber.js out=amber-built.js

H. Hirzel wrote:
> P.S. the command lines are
>
> C:\Users\User\Documents\amber-master\support>node ..\..\require\r.js -v
> r.js: 2.1.8, RequireJS: 2.1.8, UglifyJS2: 2.3.6, UglifyJS: 1.3.4
>
> and
>
> C:\Users\User\Documents\amber-master\support>node ..\..\require\r.js
> baseUrl=. name=amber.js out=amber-built.js

I don't know how oprimizer works, but amber.js is not using any AMD modules, it just does configure AMD loader. Where is the "entry" file that actually uses the module(s), so it can start from something? Also, amber.js is _really_ browser-specific, you cannot use it with node (see how it obtains value of home, for example).

You need some optimizer-specific entry file (take amber.js, copy the config from but hardcode home as '.' or something, and at the bottom put something like

  require(["amber/devel"], {});

) because if nothing is require-d what should optimizer pick and concatenate?

On 8/31/13, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> H. Hirzel wrote:
>> P.S. the command lines are
>>
>> C:\Users\User\Documents\amber-master\support>node ..\..\require\r.js -v
>> r.js: 2.1.8, RequireJS: 2.1.8, UglifyJS2: 2.3.6, UglifyJS: 1.3.4
>>
>> and
>>
>> C:\Users\User\Documents\amber-master\support>node ..\..\require\r.js
>> baseUrl=. name=amber.js out=amber-built.js
>
> I don't know how oprimizer works, but amber.js is not using any AMD modules,
> it just does configure AMD loader. Where is the "entry" file that actually
> uses the module(s), so it can start from something? Also, amber.js is
> _really_ browser-specific, you cannot use it with node (see how it obtains
> value of home, for example).
>
> You need some optimizer-specific entry file (take amber.js, copy the config
> from but hardcode home as '.' or something, and at the bottom put something
> like
>
>   require(["amber/devel"], {});
>
> ) because if nothing is require-d what should optimizer pick and
> concatenate?

OK, I understand

I have made a copy of amber.js and called it amberForOptimizer.js [1]

You mean something like this?

/*
   File: amberForOptimizer.js
   Amber package loading.
   Copied and adapted from amber.js

   Changed for requirejs optimizer, r.js

   Changes are marked with // ***

 */

// CONFIGURE AMBER

var require;

require = function (require) {
    var scripts = document.getElementsByTagName("script");
    var src = scripts[ scripts.length - 1 ].src;
    var home = ".";     // ***

    var config = {
        paths: {
            'amber': home+'/support',
            'amber_vm': home+'/support',
            'amber_css': home+'/css',
            'amber_lib': home+'/support',
            'amber_core': home+'/js',
            'amber_core/_source': home+'/st',
            'jquery': home+'/support/jQuery/jquery-1.8.2.min',
            'jquery-ui': home+'/support/jQuery/jquery-ui-1.8.16.custom.min'
        },
        map: {
            '*': {
                'css': 'amber_lib/requirejs/require-css-0.0.6/css'
            },
            'amber/helios': {
                'jquery-ui': 'amber_lib/jQuery/jquery-ui-1.8.24.custom.min'
            }
        },
        shim: {
            'jquery-ui': {
                deps: [ 'jquery' ]
            },
            'amber_lib/bootstrap/js/bootstrap': {
                deps: [ 'css!amber_lib/bootstrap/css/bootstrap' ]
            },
            'amber_lib/CodeMirror/codemirror': {
                deps: [ 'css!amber_lib/CodeMirror/codemirror' ]
            },
            'amber_lib/jQuery/jquery.textarea': {
                deps: [ 'jquery', 'jquery-ui' ]
            },
            'amber_lib/CodeMirror/smalltalk': {
                deps: [ './codemirror' ]
            },
            'amber_lib/CodeMirror/addon/hint/show-hint': {
                deps: [ '../../codemirror' ]
            },
            'ensure-console': {
                exports: 'console'
            }
        }
    };

    if (require) {
        require.config(config);
        return require;
    } else {
        return config;
    }
}(require);

// REQUIRE WHAT HAS BEEN CONFIGURED
// so that r.js can optimize it.

 require(["amber/devel"], {});    // ***

H. Hirzel wrote:

> I have made a copy of amber.js and called it amberForOptimizer.js [1]
>
> You mean something like this?
>

> /*
>     File: amberForOptimizer.js
>     Amber package loading.
>     Copied and adapted from amber.js
>
>     Changed for requirejs optimizer, r.js
>
>     Changes are marked with // ***
>
>   */
>

> // CONFIGURE AMBER
>
> var require;
>
> require = function (require) {
>      var scripts = document.getElementsByTagName("script");
>      var src = scripts[ scripts.length - 1 ].src;

These two were only needed to compute home...

>      var home = ".";     // ***
>
>      var config = {
>          paths: {
>              'amber': home+'/support',
>              'amber_vm': home+'/support',
>              'amber_css': home+'/css',
>              'amber_lib': home+'/support',
>              'amber_core': home+'/js',
>              'amber_core/_source': home+'/st',
>              'jquery': home+'/support/jQuery/jquery-1.8.2.min',

'jquery-ui': home+'/support/jQuery/jquery-ui-1.8.16.custom.min'

This is changed in actual version.

>          },
>          map: {
>              '*': {
>                  'css': 'amber_lib/requirejs/require-css-0.0.6/css'
>              },
>              'amber/helios': {
>                  'jquery-ui': 'amber_lib/jQuery/jquery-ui-1.8.24.custom.min'

This is changed in actual version.

>              }
>          },
>          shim: {

I'm not sure how r.js will like this, I heard it does not like shim configs... but first rry with them,

>              'jquery-ui': {
>                  deps: [ 'jquery' ]
>              },
>              'amber_lib/bootstrap/js/bootstrap': {
>                  deps: [ 'css!amber_lib/bootstrap/css/bootstrap' ]
>              },
>              'amber_lib/CodeMirror/codemirror': {
>                  deps: [ 'css!amber_lib/CodeMirror/codemirror' ]
>              },
>              'amber_lib/jQuery/jquery.textarea': {
>                  deps: [
 'jquery', 'jquery-ui' ]

>              },
>              'amber_lib/CodeMirror/smalltalk': {
>                  deps: [ './codemirror' ]
>              },
>              'amber_lib/CodeMirror/addon/hint/show-hint': {
>                  deps: [ '../../codemirror' ]
>              },
>              'ensure-console': {
>                  exports: 'console'
>              }
>          }
>      };
>
>      if (require) {
>          require.config(config);
>          return require;
>      } else {
>          return config;
>      }
> }(require);
>

> // REQUIRE WHAT HAS BEEN CONFIGURED
> // so that r.js can optimize it.
>
>   require(["amber/devel"], {});    // ***

Re: Loading the amber IDE with one or two files only?

Hannes Hirzel
Herby

Regarding a test of the requirejs optimizer I have uploaded what I
have so far to

    ttps://github.com/hhzl/amber/tree/requirejs-optimizer-test

suggestions are welcome as allways.

--Hannes

The setup follows the instructions on
http://requirejs.org/docs/optimization.html#setup
It is NOT a final setup. I.e. the optimizer call and product will
finally not be in the support directory.

The presence or r.js in a sibling directory of amber called 'require' is needed.
    http://requirejs.org/docs/download.html#rjs

The branch contains two things

1)
a simple non-amber example which shows that the optimizer is working
and generates a result.

C:\Users\User\Documents\amber\requirejs-optimizer-test-scripts>node
../../require/r.js -o name=green out=green-built.js baseUrl=.

Tracing dependencies for: green
Uglifying file:
C:/Users/User/Documents/amber/requirejs-optimizer-test-scripts/green-built.js

C:/Users/User/Documents/amber/requirejs-optimizer-test-scripts/green-built.js
----------------
C:/Users/User/Documents/amber/requirejs-optimizer-test-scripts/red.js
C:/Users/User/Documents/amber/requirejs-optimizer-test-scripts/yellow.js
C:/Users/User/Documents/amber/requirejs-optimizer-test-scripts/green.js

C:\Users\User\Documents\amber\requirejs-optimizer-test-scripts>

2)

An attempt at using the optimizer on a modified version of amber.js.

C:\Users\User\Documents\amber\support>node ../../require/r.js -o
name=amber out=amber-built.js baseUrl=.

Tracing dependencies for: amber
Error: ENOENT, no such file or directory
'C:\Users\User\Documents\amber\support\amber\deploy.js'
In module tree:
    amber

Error: Error: ENOENT, no such file or directory
'C:\Users\User\Documents\amber\support\amber\deploy.js'
In module tree:
    amber

    at Object.fs.openSync (fs.js:427:18)

C:\Users\User\Documents\amber\support>

This is with the 'shim' in require.config unchanged. If I remove the
shim completely it gives the same result.

On 9/9/13, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>              },
>>              'amber_lib/CodeMirror/smalltalk': {
>>                  deps: [ './codemirror' ]
>>              },
>>              'amber_lib/CodeMirror/addon/hint/show-hint': {
>>                  deps: [ '../../codemirror' ]
>>              },
>>              'ensure-console': {
>>                  exports: 'console'
>>              }
>>          }
>>      };
>>
>>      if (require) {
>>          require.config(config);
>>          return require;
>>      } else {
>>          return config;
>>      }
>> }(require);
>>

>> // REQUIRE WHAT HAS BEEN CONFIGURED
>> // so that r.js can optimize it.
>>
>>   require(["amber/devel"], {});    // ***

Re: Loading the amber IDE with one or two files only?

I will move the [amber/deploy] optimization test case to the
amber-examples project

        https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-examples

--Hannes

On 9/13/13, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>              'amber_lib/CodeMirror/smalltalk': {
>>>                  deps: [ './codemirror' ]
>>>              },
>>>              'amber_lib/CodeMirror/addon/hint/show-hint': {
>>>                  deps: [ '../../codemirror' ]
>>>              },
>>>              'ensure-console': {
>>>                  exports: 'console'
>>>              }
>>>          }
>>>      };
>>>
>>>      if (require) {
>>>          require.config(config);
>>>          return require;
>>>      } else {
>>>          return config;
>>>      }
>>> }(require);
>>>

>>> // REQUIRE WHAT HAS BEEN CONFIGURED
>>> // so that r.js can optimize it.
>>>
>>>   require(["amber/devel"], {});    // ***

Re: Loading the amber IDE with one or two files only?

A working requirejs optimizer example which generates a

     bin\amber-deploy-for-browser.js

is here

The script
     requirejs-optimizer
does the job.

An open issue I am currently working on:

How do I connect the generated code to an application class call that
actually gets executed? For example
     smalltalk.Welcome._new()._begin();

Comments are welcome.

--Hannes

Appendices
- Log file
- List of changes to current master

C:\Users\User\Documents\amber>node ../require/r.js -o
requirejs-optimizer-build-config.js

Tracing dependencies for: amber/amber
Uglifying file: C:/Users/User/Documents/amber/bin/amber-deploy-for-browser.js

C:/Users/User/Documents/amber/bin/amber-deploy-for-browser.js
----------------
C:/Users/User/Documents/amber/support/ensure-console.js
C:/Users/User/Documents/amber/support/es5-shim-2.0.2/es5-shim.min.js
C:/Users/User/Documents/amber/support/es5-shim-2.0.2/es5-sham.min.js
C:/Users/User/Documents/amber/support/browser-compatibility.js
C:/Users/User/Documents/amber/support/boot.js
C:/Users/User/Documents/amber/support/smalltalk.js
C:/Users/User/Documents/amber/support/helpers.js
C:/Users/User/Documents/amber/support/jQuery/jquery-1.8.2.min.js
C:/Users/User/Documents/amber/support/nil.js
C:/Users/User/Documents/amber/support/_st.js
C:/Users/User/Documents/amber/js/Kernel-Objects.js
C:/Users/User/Documents/amber/js/Kernel-Classes.js
C:/Users/User/Documents/amber/js/Kernel-Methods.js
C:/Users/User/Documents/amber/js/Kernel-Collections.js
C:/Users/User/Documents/amber/js/Kernel-Infrastructure.js
C:/Users/User/Documents/amber/js/Kernel-Exceptions.js
C:/Users/User/Documents/amber/js/Kernel-Transcript.js
C:/Users/User/Documents/amber/js/Kernel-Announcements.js
C:/Users/User/Documents/amber/js/Canvas.js
C:/Users/User/Documents/amber/support/deploy.js
C:/Users/User/Documents/amber/support/amber.js

C:\Users\User\Documents\amber>

Changes to current master
https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/commit/931b270849b09011b0f5a31bcd1e797853a7513f

A.
// the following was added to suppor/amber.js at the end of the file

require(
        ["amber/deploy"],
        function (smalltalk) {
            smalltalk.defaultAmdNamespace = "amber_core";
            smalltalk.initialize();

            // smalltalk.Welcome._new()._begin();
            return smalltalk;
        }
    );

B. file: requirejs-optimizer in amber directory

node ../require/r.js -o requirejs-optimizer-build-config.js

C. File: requirejs-optimizer-build-config in amber directory

({
    baseUrl: ".",
    paths: {
        "amber": "./support",
         'amber_vm': './support',
         'amber_css': './css',
         'amber_lib': './support',
         'amber_core': './js',
         'amber_core/_source': './st',
         'amber_html': ".",

         'jquery': './support/jQuery/jquery-1.8.2.min',
         'jquery-ui': './support/jQuery/jquery-ui-1.8.24.custom.min'

    },
    name: "amber/amber",
    out: "bin/amber-deploy-for-browser.js"
})

Prerequisite is r.js (= the requirejs optimizer, conventionally known
as "linker")

r.js
    is from
         http://requirejs.org/docs/release/2.1.8/r.js
    copied into a sibling directory of amber called 'require'.

H. Hirzel wrote:

> A working requirejs optimizer example which generates a
>
>       bin\amber-deploy-for-browser.js
>
> is here
>
> The script
>       requirejs-optimizer
> does the job.
>
> An open issue I am currently working on:
>
> How do I connect the generated code to an application class call that
> actually gets executed? For example
>       smalltalk.Welcome._new()._begin();

It should work as-is, if you load require.js in <script> first, and the generated file in <script> after it (instead of amber.js).

Then you should have the same <script> with mapping and require call as in non-optimized case.

Herby

Re: Loading the amber IDE with one or two files only?

Hannes Hirzel
Yes, indeed, it works

    https://github.com/hhzl/amber/blob/optimizer1c/indexDeploy.html
    (below)

Next step is to do it in a non-core package.

<!DOCTYPE html>

<head>
    <title>Amber Smalltalk</title>
    <script type='text/javascript'
src='support/requirejs/require.min.js'></script>
    <script type='text/javascript'
src='bin/amber-deploy-for-browser.js'></script>

</head>

H. Hirzel wrote:

> Yes, indeed, it works
>
>      https://github.com/hhzl/amber/blob/optimizer1c/indexDeploy.html
>      (below)
>
> Next step is to do it in a non-core package.
>

> <!DOCTYPE html>
>
> <head>
>      <title>Amber Smalltalk</title>
>      <script type='text/javascript'
> src='support/requirejs/require.min.js'></script>
>      <script type='text/javascript'
> src='bin/amber-deploy-for-browser.js'></script>
>
> </head>

> <script type='text/javascript'>
>      require(
>          ["amber/devel"],

I am interested in doing it little differently, namely, not to change amber.js up there, but include "amber/devel-packed" instead "amber/devel" here. That is why I see them as siblings of amber subsets.

For this, I would like to see if simple define is possible instead of require as the "starter  code" at the bottom.

ould you try how r.js optimizer perform if instead of 'require(["amber/devel"], ...)' type of code as starter code at the bottom you would have just a simple

  define(["amber/devel"], function (x) { return x });

If it produces concatenated file, it would be great. If that file would be called, say, devel-packed.js and put as a sibling to devel.js, this more AMDish way of loading optimized files could work).

>          function (smalltalk) {
>              smalltalk.defaultAmdNamespace = "amber_core";
>              smalltalk.initialize();
>
>              smalltalk.Welcome._new()._begin();
>          }
>      );
> </script>

Herby

Re: Loading the amber IDE with one or two files only?

Hannes Hirzel
Ok, I understand and do it. Let's move the discussion of this email
thread to the 'all in one` issue on github.