Locked by Smalltalkhub and Tonel

12

Locked by Smalltalkhub and Tonel

GLASS mailing list
I have 3 dependencies on Smalltalkhub that are not working.
All were moved to github but stored in Tonel format:

Which is the best way to install them on GS ?
1) Wait until GS includes Tonel format ?
2) Fork and install them in Pharo then locally save them as FileTree (then git push).
3) Try with http://deprecated.smalltalkhub.com/ (available until november)
4) Other possibility ?

At this point I believe that a dependency on github is much better than the deprecated smalltalkhub (so 1 or 2 will be the way to go).

regards,
bruno

Dependencies:
spec
     for: #'common'
     do: [
spec project: 'XMLParser' with: [
spec className: 'ConfigurationOfXMLParser';
loads: #('default');
versionString: #stable;
repository: 'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/PharoExtras/XMLParser/main'].
spec project: 'XPath' with: [
spec className: 'ConfigurationOfXPath';
loads: #('default');
versionString: #stable;
file: 'ConfigurationOfXPath';
repository: 'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/PharoExtras/XPath/main'].
spec project: 'XMLWriter' with: [
spec className: 'ConfigurationOfXMLWriter';
versionString: #stable;
file: 'ConfigurationOfXMLWriter';
repository: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/PharoExtras/XMLWriter/main';
loads: #('Core').
].

Re: Locked by Smalltalkhub and Tonel

GLASS mailing list

On 10/6/20 1:04 PM, Bruno Buzzi Brassesco via Glass wrote:
I have 3 dependencies on Smalltalkhub that are not working.

Do you mean that you are not able to download from Smalltalkhub or that you need to make changes and cannot write to Smalltalkhub ...

If it's the former, you should send a message to the Pharo list and get the problem addressed... There were some stability issues in the last month or so, but AFAICT those have been addressed.

If it's the latter, then we do need to do something.

All were moved to github but stored in Tonel format:

Which is the best way to install them on GS ?
1) Wait until GS includes Tonel format ?
2) Fork and install them in Pharo then locally save them as FileTree (then git push).
3) Try with http://deprecated.smalltalkhub.com/ (available until november)

I think this is a valid option for loading existing packages for the foreseeable future (READONLY)... My understanding is that the STATIC smalltalkhub site will be maintained for a long time ... I think that November was the original date that was scheduled for the cutover to a purely static site. The problems that I mentioned earlier caused the Pharo folks to switch to the static site ahead of schedule ...

But since this is a read only option we need to create a GemStone fork of the XML projects.

With Rowan I can read tonel and write filetree, so creating and populating the fork is not an issue ...

I am slightly concerned that pharo-contributions projects have been evolving over the last few years without keeping the GemStone port up-to-date (there are still GemStone packages in the projects, however, the GemStone specs have been stripped from the baselines), but with a little bit of TLC, we should be able to be in business ...

As usual, I am pretty busy, but now I'm busy with the upcoming 3.6.0 release and I'm on the critical path (at least for the next several weeks), so I don't have the time to provide the necessary TLC to get the projects ported back to GemStone. I do have the time to create forks of the pharo-contributions/XML-* projects, convert tonel to filetree, and set things up to run tests on travis, but beyond that would be pushing things too far for me.

Rowan won't be available in 3.6.0, but it is scheduled to show up in 3.7. There are some features in 3.6.0 that are critical to some of our customers and we had to push the release of Rowan into 3.7.

I mention this because my thoughts are that I would do a direct fork of the pharo-contributions/XML-* projects and convert to filetree in a separate directory structure ... that way over time, there would be a path between the filetree and tonel formats. I would create a topaz solo script that would convert back and forth between filetree and tonel format, so that we can actively keep up-to-date with the pharo-contributions/XML-* projects as well as feed back bugfixes.

Sooo if there are other folks that have the time and interest to work on porting the pharo-contributions/XML-* projects to GemStone, I will go ahead and get the ball rolling.

I took a cursory look at state of the XML projects a couple of weeks ago and it looks like there have been significant changes made since the pharo-contributions projects were forked from smalltalkhub, so I am very curious about the fact that if we base the work on pharo-contributions we'll be leaving some XML users in the dust.

Dale

Re: Locked by Smalltalkhub and Tonel

GLASS mailing list

Dale,

It is a download problem.
It will be much better to have those package for GemStone in github.

If you can transform Tonel format into FileTree i will found some time to do some TLC on them and sent the PR to you.

My projects use XML extensively.

regards,
bruno

On 7/10/2020 13:25, Dale Henrichs via Glass wrote:

[...]

On 10/7/20 11:13 AM, bruno buzzi brassesco via Glass wrote:

Dale,

It is a download problem.

I saw your message on list ... the VOMongoConnectionError was something that I've seen when I had the problems in the summer and I thought they had solved that problem when they went to a static site ... but perhaps their static site still uses Mongo?

Anyway, they were relatively quick to fix that problem (modulo the time differences) ...

It will be much better to have those package for GemStone in github.

Agreed!

If you can transform Tonel format into FileTree i will found some time to do some TLC on them and sent the PR to you.

Excellent ... I will let you know when I've forked, converted and travisized the projects...

Dale

[...]

Bruno,

I have finished doing the the fork and conversion of the XML projects:

  1. https://github.com/GsDevKit/XML-XMLParser
  2. https://github.com/GsDevKit/XML-XMLWriter
  3. https://github.com/GsDevKit/XML-XPath

The tests are nicely failing on Travis, too:):

  1. https://travis-ci.org/github/GsDevKit/XML-XMLParser
  2. https://travis-ci.org/github/GsDevKit/XML-XMLWriter
  3. https://travis-ci.org/github/GsDevKit/XML-XPath

They are all failing (at the moment) because  of problems loading the OrderPreservingDictionary project[1], which is not surprising, because it is a tonel-based project. If you need that project forked and converted to Filetree, let me know. At this point it takes just a few minutes to convert from tonel to filetree using the T2F2T-Conversion project[2].

The filetree format packages are in a filetree directory and I've left the tonel-based src directory untouched (almost). My expectation is that the filetree format packages will be used to do the port and if you are interested in working towards a point where the work would be merged back into the pharo-contributions project, you could merge the .travis_pharo.yml and .smalltalk_pharo.ston files into the _gemstone variants so that pharo and gemstone tests could be run ... it's up to you. The T2F2T-Conversion script can covert from filetree back to tonel as well, so it will be possible to create a tonel-based PR for pharo-contributions when the time comes to merge.

I got to the point where I could use a topaz solo-based bash script[3] to do the conversion from tonel to filetree and filetree to tonel, but this bug[4] means that filetree to (pharo produced) tonel  isn't practical, until I enhance Rowan to write using the pharo_tonel format[5].

Given the bug[4] and my time constraints, I stopped short of documenting the procedure and the extent0.rowan.dbf  extent that I use[6], but I plan on coming back and finishing up the job once my work on 3.6.0 is complete:)

Let me know if you need the OrderPreservingDictionary project[7] converted or run into any other issues and I will do what I can, when I can ...

Dale

[1] https://travis-ci.org/github/GsDevKit/XML-XPath/jobs/734790965#L2019
[2] https://github.com/GsDevKit/T2F2T-Conversion

[...]

I'm going to take a look.

Let you know my results :)

regards,
bruno

On 11/10/2020 15:43, Dale Henrichs wrote:

[...]

In order to do this myself I have to install Rowan in my GemStone/S repo ?

Or just cloning/forking https://github.com/GsDevKit/T2F2T-Conversion and run the script is enough ?

regards,
bruno

Re: Locked by Smalltalkhub and Tonel

GLASS mailing list

Bruno,

OrderPreesrvingDictionary is forked and converted to filetree ... the filetree directory in each of the repos is the repo of record for GemStone ...

It looks like the travis build is failing because the Collections-OrderPreservingDictionary-GemstoneCompatibility package was removed from the project ... that will probably have to be recovered from smalltalkHub as a first order of business ...

I update the XMLParser and XMLWriter projects to reference the GsDevKit/OrderPreservingDictionary ... XML-XPath is failing because of an issue with BitmapCharacterSet project another tonel package problem ... let me know if that one needs to converted as well ..

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/OrderPreservingDictionary
[2] https://travis-ci.org/github/GsDevKit/OrderPreservingDictionary/jobs/735565502#L2036

On 10/13/20 1:03 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

[...]

This is:
http://smalltalkhub.com/PharoExtras/OrderPreservingDictionary/Collections-OrderPreservingDictionaryGemstoneCompatibility-monty.1.mcz
or
http://smalltalkhub.com/PharoExtras/OrderPreservingDictionary/Collections-OrderPreservingDictionary-GemstoneCompatibility-monty.1.mcz

My project use the first but i do not know which is the most recent.

I update the XMLParser and XMLWriter projects to reference the GsDevKit/OrderPreservingDictionary ... XML-XPath is failing because of an issue with BitmapCharacterSet project another tonel package problem ... let me know if that one needs to converted as well ..

This is:
http://smalltalkhub.com/PharoExtras/BitmapCharacterSet/Collections-BitmapCharacterSet-monty.25.mcz

I think converting those to FileTree and we are done :)

[...]

I have been converting the pharo-contributions/XML* projects from GITHUB, not SmalltalkHub ... I guess I thought that you said you wanted those projects converted from tonel to filetree ... perhaps it doesn't matter, since I don't think a lot was done in the pharo-contributions  projects other than convert to tonel and remove the gemstone baseline entries:)

Presumably you have an image with http://smalltalkhub.com/PharoExtras/OrderPreservingDictionary/Collections-OrderPreservingDictionaryGemstoneCompatibility-monty.1.mcz in it and you should be able to save that mcz file into the OrderPreservingDictionary filetree repository ...

I plan to convert https://github.com/pharo-contributions/BitmapCharacterSet (not from smalltalkhub), but I won't do the work until later today, so if you need me to go a different direction let me know...

Dale

On 10/15/20 9:40 AM, bruno buzzi brassesco via Glass wrote:

[...]

It seems i misunderstood your previous mail.
If you can convert all needed package from Tonel to FileTree and i can load them on a clean GS image --> i can take a look at failing tests and fix some error and create PRs.

regards,
bruno

On 15/10/2020 13:57, Dale Henrichs via Glass wrote:

[...]

I just finished converting https://github.com/pharo-contributions/BitmapCharacterSet to https://github.com/GsDevKit/BitmapCharacterSet with the tonel directory copied and converted to filetree ...

Each of these converted projects:

https://github.com/GsDevKit/BitmapCharacterSet
https://github.com/GsDevKit/OrderPreservingDictionary
https://github.com/GsDevKit/XML-XMLWriter
https://github.com/GsDevKit/XML-XMLParser
https://github.com/GsDevKit/XML-XPath

has been forked from the corresponding https://github.com/pharo-contribution project. Each of those projects has a `src` directory that is in tonel format. My conversion process involves converting the tonel packages in the `src` directory into filetree packages in the `filetree` directory.

I have also converted the .travis artifacts to point to the gemstone filetree directories (I'll double check:) and converted the baselines to reference the GsDevKit projects and updated the travis bug in the readme ...

I may not have gotten everything converted correctly and I'll make one more pass to double check and then the ball will be in your court ...

Dale

On 10/15/20 10:24 AM, bruno buzzi brassesco via Glass wrote:

[...]

I also created and install script and put usage instructions in the readme for https://github.com/GsDevKit/T2F2T-Conversion, now that you no longer need to use it :) ...

I made my pass over the new XML projects and found one spot that needed updating. You probably want to `git pull origin gemstone` on all of the projects to make sure you've got my latest ...

Feel free to ask me any questions moving forward ...

Dale

On 10/15/20 11:38 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

[...]

Haha, looks like BitmapCharacterSet project is passing travis tests[1] for GemStone! One down and 4 to go...

Dale

[1] https://travis-ci.org/github/GsDevKit/BitmapCharacterSet/jobs/736139167

On 10/15/20 11:56 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

I also created and install script and put usage instructions in the readme for https://github.com/GsDevKit/T2F2T-Conversion, now that you no longer need to use it :) ...

I made my pass over the new XML projects and found one spot that needed updating. You probably want to `git pull origin gemstone` on all of the projects lease feel free to ask me any questions moving forwar

[...]

Excellent.
I just forked all repos and now i will start to look at them.

regards,
bruno

On 15/10/2020 15:59, Dale Henrichs via Glass wrote:

[...]

OrderPreservingDictionary (https://github.com/brunobuzzi/OrderPreservingDictionary) is working with GS:  3.5.4, 3.5.0, 3.4.5, 3.3.9, 3.2.17
But fail with: GS 3.1.0.6 -Array does not understand  #'identityIncludes:-

https://travis-ci.org/github/brunobuzzi/OrderPreservingDictionary

I only added one method to AbstractDictionary :)
Now i have a couple of questions:
* There are 3 ston files (smalltalk, pharo and gemstone), these files has to be done in all repos ? (i should add them to my OrderPreservingDictionary ?)
* The same with yml files (i should add them to my OrderPreservingDictionary ?)

I think after solving the questions above i can send you a PR and take on the next project.

regards,
bruno

On 10/16/20 5:11 AM, bruno buzzi brassesco via Glass wrote:

Dale,

OrderPreservingDictionary (https://github.com/brunobuzzi/OrderPreservingDictionary) is working with GS:  3.5.4, 3.5.0, 3.4.5, 3.3.9, 3.2.17
But fail with: GS 3.1.0.6 -Array does not understand  #'identityIncludes:-

I think it makes sense to add Array>>identityIncludes: to a new Collections-OrderPreservingDictionary-GemStone31x package that is conditional on gs3.1.x.

https://travis-ci.org/github/brunobuzzi/OrderPreservingDictionary

I only added one method to AbstractDictionary :)

Now i have a couple of questions:
* There are 3 ston files (smalltalk, pharo and gemstone), these files has to be done in all repos ? (i should add them to my OrderPreservingDictionary ?)

It's up to you, I think, I split the gemstone and pharo ston files for the other projects because gemstone had not been added in the first place, so I decided to preserve the pharo versions  and then create the gemstone variants so that only gemstone would be tested and we wouldn't have to worry about any changes that might be needed to keep the pharo versions running ....

At this point in time, I'm thinking that we'll keep these projects alive until tonel format is officially supported by GLASS and GemStone (sometime next year with the release of 3.7) when GLASS is reading tonel, we should then merge these projects back into the pharo-contributions project ... so we can handle the ston files any way we want ...

* The same with yml files (i should add them to my OrderPreservingDictionary ?)

I think after solving the questions above i can send you a PR and take on the next project.

sounds good .. thanks a lot for your effort!

> [...]

Dale,

In order to do this myself I have to install Rowan in my GemStone/S repo ?

Or just cloning/forking https://github.com/GsDevKit/T2F2T-Conversion and run the script is enough ?

regards,
bruno

Re: Locked by Smalltalkhub and Tonel

GLASS mailing list
Dale,

> I think it makes sense to add Array>>identityIncludes: to a new
> Collections-OrderPreservingDictionary-GemStone31x package that is

Done.

But #testCopy is failing for OrderPreservingIdentityStringDictionaryTest
& OrderPreservingIdentityDictionaryTest (identity collections).
I think that #copy method has a different behavior than greater GemStone
versions.

|d1 d2 |
d1 := OrderPreservingIdentityStringDictionary new.
d1 at: '1' put: '1'.
d2 := d1 copy.
(d1 associations at: 1) == (d2 associations at: 1)

In GS 3.5.0 answer false in GS 3.1.0.6 answer true.

How do you want to proceed ?

regards,
bruno
12