Long path name support added for win32

marcel.taeumel (old)
sqWin32FilePrims.c

Hi! :)

I added support for long path names according to the hint given here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365247%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Just prepending "\\?\" in that case. Further limitations may have to be investigated. ;)

Eliot, could you add this to the VM trunk?

Best,
Marcel

Re: Long path name support added for win32

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi Marcel,

    sure, but let me run an idea past you first. If you made AllocWin32Path a macro you could use alloca and no frees would be needed.

sqWin32FilePrims.c <http://forum.world.st/file/n4796045/sqWin32FilePrims.c>

best,
Eliot

Re: Long path name support added for win32

marcel.taeumel (old)
Hi Eliot,

good idea! I'll try that tomorrow. :)

Best,
Marcel

Re: Long path name support added for win32

marcel.taeumel (old)
sqWin32FilePrims.c

Hi, Eliot! :)

Here is the second version that uses alloca. I also modified FAIL to represent a block thinking of Heartbleed. :D I am not that much into C patterns. You are free change that.

Another thing is about the copyright information at the beginning of the file. I added something, but what is the correct format?

Best,
Marcel

Re: Long path name support added for win32

David T. Lewis

Hi Marcel,

Thanks for doing this.

I opened a Mantis issue so that we will not forget to integrate your changes:

  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7825

Currently, the SVN trunk and oscog branches are identical for sqWin32FilePrims.c,
so your update can be applied to both.

Your update in the file header looks fine to me. It does not affect copyright,
you are just adding a comment to document your update, which is great:

*   UPDATES:
*     1) Support for long path names added by using UNC prefix in that case
*        (Marcel Taeumel, Hasso Plattner Institute, Postdam, Germany)

Eliot - I am not able to test this, but I am sure that Marcel has done so.
If this looks good to you then I think we should commit the update to both
oscog and trunk in SVN. I think we both have write access to the win32 tree
in SVN trunk, so I'm happy to make the update if you agree (or I think you can
do it also if you prefer, whichever is easier).

I'll close out the Mantis issue whenever we get this completed.

Thanks,
Dave

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 12:59:05AM -0800, Marcel Taeumel wrote:

> sqWin32FilePrims.c <http://forum.world.st/file/n4796107/sqWin32FilePrims.c>
>
> Hi, Eliot! :)
>
> Here is the second version that uses alloca. I also modified FAIL to
> represent a block thinking of Heartbleed. :D I am not that much into C
> patterns. You are free change that.
>
> Another thing is about the copyright information at the beginning of the
> file. I added something, but what is the correct format?
>
> Best,
> Marcel

Re: Long path name support added for win32

Nicolai Hess

Hi Marcel,

Thanks for doing this.

I opened a Mantis issue so that we will not forget to integrate your changes:

  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7825

Currently, the SVN trunk and oscog branches are identical for sqWin32FilePrims.c,
so your update can be applied to both.

Your update in the file header looks fine to me. It does not affect copyright,
you are just adding a comment to document your update, which is great:

*   UPDATES:
*     1) Support for long path names added by using UNC prefix in that case
*        (Marcel Taeumel, Hasso Plattner Institute, Postdam, Germany)

Eliot - I am not able to test this, but I am sure that Marcel has done so.
If this looks good to you then I think we should commit the update to both
oscog and trunk in SVN. I think we both have write access to the win32 tree
in SVN trunk, so I'm happy to make the update if you agree (or I think you can
do it also if you prefer, whichever is easier).

I'll close out the Mantis issue whenever we get this completed.

Thanks,
Dave

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 12:59:05AM -0800, Marcel Taeumel wrote:

> sqWin32FilePrims.c <http://forum.world.st/file/n4796107/sqWin32FilePrims.c>
>
> Hi, Eliot! :)
>
> Here is the second version that uses alloca. I also modified FAIL to
> represent a block thinking of Heartbleed. :D I am not that much into C
> patterns. You are free change that.
>
> Another thing is about the copyright information at the beginning of the
> file. I added something, but what is the correct format?
>
> Best,
> Marcel

I just found this because I tried to add long path support to pharo.
What about methods for working with directories dir_create/dir_lookup ....
Don't you need to do the same in sqWin32Directory.c ?

nicolai

Re: Long path name support added for win32

Nicolai Hess

Hi Marcel,

Thanks for doing this.

I opened a Mantis issue so that we will not forget to integrate your changes:

  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7825

Currently, the SVN trunk and oscog branches are identical for sqWin32FilePrims.c,
so your update can be applied to both.

Your update in the file header looks fine to me. It does not affect copyright,
you are just adding a comment to document your update, which is great:

*   UPDATES:
*     1) Support for long path names added by using UNC prefix in that case
*        (Marcel Taeumel, Hasso Plattner Institute, Postdam, Germany)

Eliot - I am not able to test this, but I am sure that Marcel has done so.
If this looks good to you then I think we should commit the update to both
oscog and trunk in SVN. I think we both have write access to the win32 tree
in SVN trunk, so I'm happy to make the update if you agree (or I think you can
do it also if you prefer, whichever is easier).

I'll close out the Mantis issue whenever we get this completed.

Thanks,
Dave

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 12:59:05AM -0800, Marcel Taeumel wrote:

> sqWin32FilePrims.c <http://forum.world.st/file/n4796107/sqWin32FilePrims.c>
>
> Hi, Eliot! :)
>
> Here is the second version that uses alloca. I also modified FAIL to
> represent a block thinking of Heartbleed. :D I am not that much into C
> patterns. You are free change that.
>
> Another thing is about the copyright information at the beginning of the
> file. I added something, but what is the correct format?
>
> Best,
> Marcel

I just found this because I tried to add long path support to pharo.
What about methods for working with directories dir_create/dir_lookup ....
Don't you need to do the same in sqWin32Directory.c ?

BUMP

nicolai

Re: Long path name support added for win32

Nicolai Hess

Hi Marcel,

Thanks for doing this.

I opened a Mantis issue so that we will not forget to integrate your changes:

  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7825

Currently, the SVN trunk and oscog branches are identical for sqWin32FilePrims.c,
so your update can be applied to both.

Your update in the file header looks fine to me. It does not affect copyright,
you are just adding a comment to document your update, which is great:

*   UPDATES:
*     1) Support for long path names added by using UNC prefix in that case
*        (Marcel Taeumel, Hasso Plattner Institute, Postdam, Germany)

Eliot - I am not able to test this, but I am sure that Marcel has done so.
If this looks good to you then I think we should commit the update to both
oscog and trunk in SVN. I think we both have write access to the win32 tree
in SVN trunk, so I'm happy to make the update if you agree (or I think you can
do it also if you prefer, whichever is easier).

I'll close out the Mantis issue whenever we get this completed.

Thanks,
Dave

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 12:59:05AM -0800, Marcel Taeumel wrote:

> sqWin32FilePrims.c <http://forum.world.st/file/n4796107/sqWin32FilePrims.c>
>
> Hi, Eliot! :)
>
> Here is the second version that uses alloca. I also modified FAIL to
> represent a block thinking of Heartbleed. :D I am not that much into C
> patterns. You are free change that.
>
> Another thing is about the copyright information at the beginning of the
> file. I added something, but what is the correct format?
>
> Best,
> Marcel

I just found this because I tried to add long path support to pharo.
What about methods for working with directories dir_create/dir_lookup ....
Don't you need to do the same in sqWin32Directory.c ?

BUMP

BUMP

Hello?

I verified that creating directories does not work.

@esteban do you think we can add this support to pharo or are there to many
changes/differences in our implementation?

nicolai

nicolai

Re: Long path name support added for win32

marcel.taeumel
Woah! I totally overlooked this. Mea culpa... :)

Best,
Marcel

Re: Long path name support added for win32

Nicolai Hess

Woah! I totally overlooked this. Mea culpa... :)

No problem, I saw you already noticed that it is missing in sqWin32Directory

nicolai

Best,
Marcel