Look and font competition

12

Re: Look and font competition

Stéphane Ducasse
thanks!

Stef

On Jun 12, 2012, at 6:52 PM, Helene Bilbo wrote:

> I attached proper document icons for .image, .changes and .sources files to
> this issue:

Re: Look and font competition

Igor Stasenko
On 12 June 2012 18:49, Helene Bilbo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote
>>
>> Now if somebody with better design tastes than us would have some time we
>> would really like to get a
>> real professional style for 2.0.
>>

> Design is not a question of 'fonts' and 'tastes'. Better UI ususally has
> some serious research background. You probably have to pay - or get
> interested - (the right) professionals to do it, and it’s worth it too!
>
> If there is one sheer 'taste' thing, i wonder if Pharo is capable of having
> textured UI-elements, like Mac OSX Lion. I attach an image of a button with
> a subtle texture to illustrate what i mean.

Piece of cake.
It always has it..

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Screen Shot 2012-06-12 at 10.43.54 PM.png (25K) Download Attachment

Re: Look and font competition

Helene Bilbo
The subtle texture is more like overlaying the existing elements with white noise.

While one can make an IconicButton of course, one can not make a Window Title Bar this way. There must be a way to make it directly in code? With more and more high resolution displays it will get interesting some day. Look at the OS X Lion - Pharo comparison screenshot:

SubtleTexture

On 12 June 2012 23:28, Helene Bilbo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The subtle texture is more like overlaying the existing elements with white
> noise.
>
> While one can make an IconicButton of course, one can not make a Window
> Title Bar this way. There must be a way to make it directly in code? With
> more and more high resolution displays it will get interesting some day.
> Look at the OS X Lion - Pharo comparison screenshot:
>
> http://forum.world.st/file/n4634551/SubtleTexture.jpg

oh .. it is indeed subtle.. i didn't get what you mean first time.
yes, of course, that's possible.. just not sure if it worth to waste
CPU cycles on this, as you said,
subtle stuff.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Look and font competition

camille teruel

EFLs use bitmaps to render everything, it runs fast, you don't need antialiasing, and you can customize the appearance however you like.
Couldn't it be an inspiration?

On 13 June 2012 10:52, camille teruel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2012/6/12 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>
>>
>> On 12 June 2012 23:28, Helene Bilbo <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > The subtle texture is more like overlaying the existing elements with
>> > white
>> > noise.
>> >
>> > While one can make an IconicButton of course, one can not make a Window
>> > Title Bar this way. There must be a way to make it directly in code?
>> > With
>> > more and more high resolution displays it will get interesting some day.
>> > Look at the OS X Lion - Pharo comparison screenshot:
>> >
>> > http://forum.world.st/file/n4634551/SubtleTexture.jpg
>> >

>> oh .. it is indeed subtle.. i didn't get what you mean first time.
>> yes, of course, that's possible.. just not sure if it worth to waste
>> CPU cycles on this, as you said, subtle stuff.
>

> EFLs use bitmaps to render everything, it runs fast, you don't need
> antialiasing, and you can customize the appearance however you like.
> Couldn't it be an inspiration?

EFL? what is it.. got a link?

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Look and font competition

camille teruel
EFL stands for Enlightenment Foundation Librairies
It is a set of C librairies that are used for the E17 window manager (a famous vaporware).
E17 is still in alpha (since a very long time but it is usable, give it a try if you have a linux distro somewhere), because they're currently working on EFLs stabilisation. These libraries have a pretty good reputation.
That's the main website: http://www.enlightenment.org/
The canva library is called Evas.

On 13 June 2012 14:51, camille teruel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> EFL stands for Enlightenment Foundation Librairies
> It is a set of C librairies that are used for the E17 window manager (a
> famous vaporware).
> E17 is still in alpha (since a very long time but it is usable, give it a
> try if you have a linux distro somewhere), because they're currently working
> on EFLs stabilisation. These libraries have a pretty good reputation.
> That's the main website: http://www.enlightenment.org/
> The canva library is called Evas.

ahh.. Enlightenment.. it was vaporware since the first time i saw it,
back in 98 (i think) :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Look and font competition

Henrik Sperre Johansen
On 10.06.2012 10:27, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> this morning Igor shows me all his work around dynlib loading of third party plugins.
> And yes now we get all the third party plugins downloaded and compiled (yes with only one copy of FT2)….Great stuff!
>
> Now we would like to organize a little competition for the official look of Pharo 2.0. So if you feel that you are a little
> bit designer inside, please send us proposals.
> We propose this one :) based on Curlz MT (welcome to the world of the pink little ponies) :)

Both license-wise, unicode coverage-wise, as well as aesthetically
speaking, I still think DejaVu is a very good default font choice.

Cheers,
Henry

Re: Look and font competition

Gary Chambers-4
Polymorph does support such things...
The buttons in Watery2 theme for example.

For sizeable things (as opposed to scaleable) a composite fill style can
be made with elements for corners, edges and middle.

Regards, Gary

> On 12 June 2012 23:28, Helene Bilbo <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> The subtle texture is more like overlaying the existing elements with
>> white
>> noise.
>>
>> While one can make an IconicButton of course, one can not make a Window
>> Title Bar this way. There must be a way to make it directly in code? With
>> more and more high resolution displays it will get interesting some day.
>> Look at the OS X Lion - Pharo comparison screenshot:
>>
>> http://forum.world.st/file/n4634551/SubtleTexture.jpg
>>

> oh .. it is indeed subtle.. i didn't get what you mean first time.
> yes, of course, that's possible.. just not sure if it worth to waste
> CPU cycles on this, as you said,
> subtle stuff.
>

>> --

> Best regards,