Looking for Beta Testers

johnmci
If you had in the past contacted me with an iPhone/iPod udid in order to put iSqueak on your iPhone or iPod touch
and you would like to beta test something I've been working on, then please email me for an invite.
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

Re: [squeak-dev] Looking for Beta Testers

Ken G. Brown
My third iPhone
UDID - db5e3158868cd7629ad386c97d63e1816333008e

I won't be able to spend a whole lot of time with it so if you need the slot for someone who will, that's ok.

Ken G. Brown

At 3:18 PM -0800 2/20/10, John M McIntosh wrote:
>If you had in the past contacted me with an iPhone/iPod udid in order to put iSqueak on your iPhone or iPod touch
>and you would like to beta test something I've been working on, then please email me for an invite.

Re: Looking for Beta Testers

Nathan Tuttle
I can spend a little time on it. I am actually a little hazy about how the mechanics of iPhone development/deployment with squeak work as every time I deploy something I get the squeak world with a
"can't write to changes" message. But if your willing to suffer the mercy of a newbie smalltalker with the merits of a good programmer and tester; I'm your man.

UDID - 9472da7efb6f50f15812f82b7e1e76c4a8358bef

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 5:18 PM, John M McIntosh <[hidden email]> wrote:
If you had in the past contacted me with an iPhone/iPod udid in order to put iSqueak on your iPhone or iPod touch
and you would like to beta test something I've been working on, then please email me for an invite.
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

Re: Looking for Beta Testers

johnmci
Nathan, you did manage to respond to me, and the entire Pharo list. So let me publicly answer your question about the "can't write to changes file"

When the iphone VM startups up it checks to see if an image exists in the Application's (read/write) Document directory. If so it uses it.

If not it checks a  iSqueak VM setting to see if it should copy the image/changes from the read-only Application resource directory into the
read/write Documents directory and makes a symbolic link for the *.sources file if one exists.

If you choose not to have a read/writable image in the Document's folder then we open the Image in the Application's read-only resource directory.

Now the image runs off to decide if it can find a changes file and a sources file.   If so it finds them in the read-only resources directory, then the smalltalk
code then attempts to write to the changes. This triggers an error.

Now if the Squeak/Pharo Preference for warning if there is no changes or source file is set, then you get the message.
Otherwise it silently notes the fact it can't write to the changes file and opens it read-only (well or something like that).

Thus when you deploy the image in production or as read-only without or without a changes file you need to examine the settings of your Preferences
to avoid messages you don't care to see.

Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com