Looking for Magritte example: MAAddress, MAPerson...

Looking for Magritte example: MAAddress, MAPerson...

stepharo
Hi guys

long time ago Magritte was shipped with examples such as MAAddress and
MAPerson.
Does anybody have an idea?

Re: Looking for Magritte example: MAAddress, MAPerson...

HilaireFernandes
Le 19/04/2015 07:30, stepharo a écrit :

> Hi guys
>
> long time ago Magritte was shipped with examples such as MAAddress and
> MAPerson.
> Does anybody have an idea?
>
> Stef

Hi,

In my opinion, the lack of documentation is how to extend Magritte to
fit your own object.
For example, an object with two attributes (a string and an object with
values taken from a collection).

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo - http://drgeo.eu
iStoa - http://istoa.drgeo.eu

Re: Looking for Magritte example: MAAddress, MAPerson...

philippeback
I have a collection of docs about Magritte I collected over time and made some examples when I was trying to get it integrated in one software.

I took a while to wrap my mind around it and reading Luka's thesis was helpful.

I also realized that there were missing pieces for some associations I wanted.

Maybe we should start a shared effort on this in the form of a pillar book (maybe there is one somewhere already).

QCMagritte is interesting but I do not feel like looking into it, as it is hard to wrap my mind around it.

My main concern with Magritte at this point is that it takes significant effort to get a decent CRUD system working.
What I have got is okay for prototyping but the UI seems very bland compared to what I can do using WATableReport extensions and Mold.
This hasn't to be like that but as Quuve showed, one needs to make all of the subclassed parts and mechanisms to get it nice.

This is really an area where we are lagging behind.

It is annyoying since competing technologies do have what it takes to make decent crud systems.

In TikiWiki CMS groupware, we've got a thing callned "trackers' : https://doc.tiki.org/Trackers

Making a CRUD thing is very easy. Example: http://www.socius.be/Praktijkenbank or http://www.socius.be/Vacatures is all done with trackers. (that's the presentation side, the admin side works nicely with checks and workflows).

Time to do the whole site was something like 2-3 months for 2 people.

Good CRUD ability is what most people are looking for in web frameworks and we are a bit lagging here.

We need to get this working.

Phil

On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 10:09 AM, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le 19/04/2015 07:30, stepharo a écrit :
> Hi guys
>
> long time ago Magritte was shipped with examples such as MAAddress and
> MAPerson.
> Does anybody have an idea?
>
> Stef

Hi,

In my opinion, the lack of documentation is how to extend Magritte to
fit your own object.
For example, an object with two attributes (a string and an object with
values taken from a collection).

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo - http://drgeo.eu
iStoa - http://istoa.drgeo.eu

Re: Looking for Magritte example: MAAddress, MAPerson...

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 19/04/15 12:59, [hidden email] wrote:
> My main concern with Magritte at this point is that it takes significant
> effort to get a decent CRUD system working.

That is exactly what we provide with QCMagritte.
And yes, it is difficult to find out where to make changes,
because the number of interacting parts is rather large.

The essential complexity when integrating rights and roles,
i18n, bootstrapping the components, providing a navigation
model, and ajaxifying, is larger. If you try integrating
these yourself in Magritte, you'll end up with mostly
the same abstractions, or a lot of duplication

Stephan

On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 1:41 PM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 19/04/15 12:59, [hidden email] wrote:
My main concern with Magritte at this point is that it takes significant
effort to get a decent CRUD system working.

That is exactly what we provide with QCMagritte.
And yes, it is difficult to find out where to make changes,
because the number of interacting parts is rather large.

The essential complexity when integrating rights and roles,
i18n, bootstrapping the components, providing a navigation
model, and ajaxifying, is larger. If you try integrating
these yourself in Magritte, you'll end up with mostly
the same abstractions, or a lot of duplication

Ok. Now, I've been watching almost all of your videos but still can't get a hand on the thing.

Maybe could we do a paired session with a walkthrough, record all of it and push it on YouTube.

What do you think? I am educated enough on Magritte to follow I think.

Magritte is powerful but comes with the uber-frustration factor :-)
Let's alleviate that.

Phil

Stephan

On 19/04/15 13:58, [hidden email] wrote:
> Ok. Now, I've been watching almost all of your videos but still can't
> get a hand on the thing.

Yes, finding the right level between very deep technical (the first one)
and just showing the things we made really easy (the later ones) is
difficult. There is a frustrating gap in the middle. It doesn't help
that Diego is very busy with non-pharo things atm, and that I have
a few points that I would like to improve before explaining them...

> Maybe could we do a paired session with a walkthrough, record all of it
> and push it on YouTube.
>
> What do you think? I am educated enough on Magritte to follow I think.

Sounds like a good idea. I'll talk to Diego.

> Magritte is powerful but comes with the uber-frustration factor :-)
> Let's alleviate that.

Yes, finding your way in Magritte is difficult. We need some kind
of cookbook. I'm playing on too many chessboards at the same time
atm, and the lack of finishing is frustrating.

Stephan

Le 19/4/15 13:59, [hidden email] a écrit :
I have a collection of docs about Magritte I collected over time and made some examples when I was trying to get it integrated in one software.

I took a while to wrap my mind around it and reading Luka's thesis was helpful.

I also realized that there were missing pieces for some associations I wanted.

Maybe we should start a shared effort on this in the form of a pillar book (maybe there is one somewhere already).

Yes this would be so great.
I would like to port the tutorial lukas wrote to Magritte3 to get refreshed with Magritte.

[...]

Yes sadly :(
But the "soup of stones" only works when people put items on the top

We need to get this working.

Phil

On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 10:09 AM, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le 19/04/2015 07:30, stepharo a écrit :
> Hi guys
>
> long time ago Magritte was shipped with examples such as MAAddress and
> MAPerson.
> Does anybody have an idea?
>
> Stef

Hi,

In my opinion, the lack of documentation is how to extend Magritte to
fit your own object.
For example, an object with two attributes (a string and an object with
values taken from a collection).

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo - http://drgeo.eu
iStoa - http://istoa.drgeo.eu

Re: Looking for Magritte example: MAAddress, MAPerson...

stepharo

Ok. Now, I've been watching almost all of your videos but still can't get a hand on the thing.

I had the same feeling. I probably missed the key point

Maybe could we do a paired session with a walkthrough, record all of it and push it on YouTube.

What do you think? I am educated enough on Magritte to follow I think.

Would be so great.
I would turn it into a doc after.

Magritte is powerful but comes with the uber-frustration factor :-)
Let's alleviate that.

Phil

Stephan

Re: Looking for Magritte example: MAAddress, MAPerson...

stepharo

>> Magritte is powerful but comes with the uber-frustration factor :-)
>> Let's alleviate that.
>
> Yes, finding your way in Magritte is difficult. We need some kind
> of cookbook. I'm playing on too many chessboards at the same time
> atm, and the lack of finishing is frustrating.

I know that feeling ;)

> Stephan

Re: [Bulk] Looking for Magritte example: MAAddress, MAPerson...

Yanni Chiu
On Apr 19, 2015, at 6:59 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Good CRUD ability is what most people are looking for in web frameworks and we are a bit lagging here.

I extracted out an example store, from the work I’ve been doing, to put together a presentation for our local Smalltalk user group (http://www.smalltalk.ca/meeting-notes.html). My plan was to put it out as a starter CRUD framework. It’s far from a full CRUD framework, but it does have single sign-on via (Zinc-SSO), a model with two classes and a one-many relationship. The Mustache framework allows it to be skinned easily with TwitterBootstrap.

I’ll try to make it happen sooner, but I’ve only got a time budget of 8 hours a week for Pharo work.

Re: Looking for Magritte example: MAAddress, MAPerson...

philippeback
I've put several files that I do have on Magritte here:

Check the Resources/ folder.

Now, there are other things available on slideshare etc that I should download and store there.

PRs welcome.

(yeah, binary files in GH)

Phil

we are a bit lagging here.
+10

Re: [Bulk] Looking for Magritte example: MAAddress, MAPerson...

stepharo
Thanks yanni!

Le 19/4/15 20:34, Yanni Chiu a écrit :

> On Apr 19, 2015, at 6:59 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Good CRUD ability is what most people are looking for in web frameworks and we are a bit lagging here.
>>
> I extracted out an example store, from the work I’ve been doing, to put together a presentation for our local Smalltalk user group (http://www.smalltalk.ca/meeting-notes.html). My plan was to put it out as a starter CRUD framework. It’s far from a full CRUD framework, but it does have single sign-on via (Zinc-SSO), a model with two classes and a one-many relationship. The Mustache framework allows it to be skinned easily with TwitterBootstrap.
>
> I’ll try to make it happen sooner, but I’ve only got a time budget of 8 hours a week for Pharo work.

Re: Looking for Magritte example: MAAddress, MAPerson...

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
MagritteMagic is just such an app. I fixed the configuration and now you can load it from the config browser. HTH
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Looking for Magritte example: MAAddress, MAPerson...

stepharo
Thanks
leaving on vacation.... soon but I will remember it