classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Looking for a good shortcut for "contextual spotter"

EstebanLM
Hello,

Most of you don’t know it, but Calypso incorporates an option to show a “contextual spotter” which will list all available commands in the context you selected.
This is meant to help on discoverability and reachability of commands available.

This is *in addition to shortcuts* not a replace of them (but lets be honest, we have far more commands than those that are possible to handle with a simple shortcut).

Anyway, originally I mapped this command to meta+/, which fitted well with my keyboard and language, but seems is not the case for many others (and this is not working at all on windows).

So. I’m looking for options :)

So far I have this two ideas:

1- alt+enter
2- meta+h

First one looks nice, but I’m not sure it will work on all platforms/combinations. What do you think?

Esteban

Ps: I will also add an icon somewhere to expose the contextual spotter.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Looking for a good shortcut for "contextual spotter"

Guillermo Polito
Q: does "contextual spotter" inherit all the features from the global one?

If yes, why not overriding shift+enter?
 - if you're on a global scope, you open a global spotter
 - if you're on a local scope, you open a local spotter (that also does global spotter things)

Also, it will be more easy to discover => just a single shortcut, and people will start using it directly, maybe even without knowing it

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 11:56 AM Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

Most of you don’t know it, but Calypso incorporates an option to show a “contextual spotter” which will list all available commands in the context you selected.
This is meant to help on discoverability and reachability of commands available.

This is *in addition to shortcuts* not a replace of them (but lets be honest, we have far more commands than those that are possible to handle with a simple shortcut).

Anyway, originally I mapped this command to meta+/, which fitted well with my keyboard and language, but seems is not the case for many others (and this is not working at all on windows).

1- alt+enter
2- meta+h

First one looks nice, but I’m not sure it will work on all platforms/combinations. What do you think?

Esteban

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

Centre de Recherche en Informatique, Signal et Automatique de Lille

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Web: http://guillep.github.io

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
maybe global/local scope could also be a switch, once you are in spotter

> On 6 Nov 2018, at 12:02, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Q: does "contextual spotter" inherit all the features from the global one?
>
> If yes, why not overriding shift+enter?
>  - if you're on a global scope, you open a global spotter
>  - if you're on a local scope, you open a local spotter (that also does global spotter things)
>
> Also, it will be more easy to discover => just a single shortcut, and people will start using it directly, maybe even without knowing it
>
> On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 11:56 AM Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Most of you don’t know it, but Calypso incorporates an option to show a “contextual spotter” which will list all available commands in the context you selected.
> This is meant to help on discoverability and reachability of commands available.
>
> This is *in addition to shortcuts* not a replace of them (but lets be honest, we have far more commands than those that are possible to handle with a simple shortcut).
>
> Anyway, originally I mapped this command to meta+/, which fitted well with my keyboard and language, but seems is not the case for many others (and this is not working at all on windows).
>
> So. I’m looking for options :)
>
> So far I have this two ideas:
>
> 1- alt+enter
> 2- meta+h
>
> First one looks nice, but I’m not sure it will work on all platforms/combinations. What do you think?
>
> Esteban
>
> Ps: I will also add an icon somewhere to expose the contextual spotter.
>
>
>
>
> --
>    
> Guille Polito
> Research Engineer
>
> Centre de Recherche en Informatique, Signal et Automatique de Lille
> CRIStAL - UMR 9189
> French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr
>
> Web: http://guillep.github.io
> Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Reply | Threaded
|

philippeback
In reply to this post by EstebanLM
Alt enter hass my vote provided it works on Windows as well.

Phil

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018, 11:56 Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email] wrote:
Hello,

1- alt+enter
2- meta+h

Esteban

Reply | Threaded
|

EstebanLM
In reply to this post by Guillermo Polito

On 6 Nov 2018, at 12:02, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:

Q: does "contextual spotter" inherit all the features from the global one?

no 

If yes, why not overriding shift+enter?
 - if you're on a global scope, you open a global spotter
 - if you're on a local scope, you open a local spotter (that also does global spotter things)

It does not applies.
Contextual explorer shows available commands. 
- Merge them wit the “global spotter” would be too much information hence confusing and complicated to find.
- hiding the global spotter when contextual is show would have negative impact since users still want to use spotter.

Also, it will be more easy to discover => just a single shortcut, and people will start using it directly, maybe even without knowing it

Yes, discovery advantages are true.
Yet, difficulties to organise that information stays. 
(But we can see how it looks)

Esteban

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 11:56 AM Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

1- alt+enter
2- meta+h

Esteban

--

Guille Polito
Research Engineer

Centre de Recherche en Informatique, Signal et Automatique de Lille
CRIStAL - UMR 9189
French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Reply | Threaded
|

Esteban A. Maringolo
If Shift+Enter opens Spotter, why not use Cmd+Shift+Enter for the contextual one?

So the canonical shortcut is Shift+Enter and there is a modifier to open it contextualized, could be Cmd/Ctrl or Meta/Win.

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo

El mar., 6 nov. 2018 a las 7:56, Esteban Lorenzano (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Hello,

1- alt+enter
2- meta+h

Esteban

Reply | Threaded
|

EstebanLM

On 6 Nov 2018, at 12:58, Esteban Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:

If Shift+Enter opens Spotter, why not use Cmd+Shift+Enter for the contextual one?

Because it does not works (already tried) :)

Esteban

So the canonical shortcut is Shift+Enter and there is a modifier to open it contextualized, could be Cmd/Ctrl or Meta/Win.

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo

Hello,

1- alt+enter
2- meta+h

Esteban

Reply | Threaded
|

Ben Coman
Not really sure if this is a good idea, but why not share...

How about Shift-Enter-Enter.  Kind of like a double click.
Because "local" is kind of like going deeper, kind of like entering a house and then entering a room, kind of like entering twice.

Yeah, I know.... a lot of "kind of like"s
cheers -ben 

On Tue, 6 Nov 2018 at 20:11, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

Esteban

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo

Hello,

1- alt+enter
2- meta+h

Esteban

Reply | Threaded
|

philippeback
IntelliJ search everywhere is shift shift.

Kind of neat as well.

Phil

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018, 13:34 Ben Coman <[hidden email] wrote:
Not really sure if this is a good idea, but why not share...

How about Shift-Enter-Enter.  Kind of like a double click.
Because "local" is kind of like going deeper, kind of like entering a house and then entering a room, kind of like entering twice.

Yeah, I know.... a lot of "kind of like"s
cheers -ben 

On Tue, 6 Nov 2018 at 20:11, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

Esteban

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo

Hello,

1- alt+enter
2- meta+h

Esteban

Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Uhnak

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 1:11 PM Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

iirc the problem is that the old-style shortcut definition corrupts the shortcut... which reminds me that I should get back to fixing this https://github.com/pharo-ide/Commander/pull/39 
Reply | Threaded
|

EstebanLM

On 6 Nov 2018, at 15:16, Peter Uhnak <[hidden email]> wrote:

iirc the problem is that the old-style shortcut definition corrupts the shortcut…

Yes, but I cannot fix the whole input event handler just to assign a shortcut ;)

Esteban

Ps: *Yes*, to fix the event handler is in the TODO list. But if I jump to fix what is broken each time I found something I will be trap in an endless loop until I retire or die.

which reminds me that I should get back to fixing this https://github.com/pharo-ide/Commander/pull/39 

Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Uhnak
> Yes, but I cannot fix the whole input event handler just to assign a shortcut ;)  

nono, there are two styles of shortcut definition, one is broken and the other is not...
but maybe once I fix the mentioned PR this will work automatically... I will test it later this week.

P

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 3:39 PM Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 6 Nov 2018, at 15:16, Peter Uhnak <[hidden email]> wrote:

iirc the problem is that the old-style shortcut definition corrupts the shortcut…

Yes, but I cannot fix the whole input event handler just to assign a shortcut ;)

Esteban

Ps: *Yes*, to fix the event handler is in the TODO list. But if I jump to fix what is broken each time I found something I will be trap in an endless loop until I retire or die.

which reminds me that I should get back to fixing this https://github.com/pharo-ide/Commander/pull/39 

Reply | Threaded
|

Esteban A. Maringolo

The "problem" would be to assign a sub-optimal shortcut as a workaround for a bug. 

Not because it cannot be changed later, but because we all know nothing is as permanent as temporary solutions :)

I like the Shift+Shift proposed, but I don't know if the current handler can process it.

Esteban A. Maringolo

Reply | Threaded
|

EstebanLM

On 6 Nov 2018, at 15:44, Esteban Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:

The "problem" would be to assign a sub-optimal shortcut as a workaround for a bug. 

Not because it cannot be changed later, but because we all know nothing is as permanent as temporary solutions :)

I like the Shift+Shift proposed, but I don't know if the current handler can process it.

Nope :/

Esteban A. Maringolo