Looking for a package to do some statistics in Pharo

Looking for a package to do some statistics in Pharo

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

I would like to know if there is a package doing some statistics in Pharo.
I should check the work of didier besset but I want to know if there is more.

It would be good to have such kind of package.

Re: Looking for a package to do some statistics in Pharo

Gastón Dall' Oglio
Hello.

mmm that's is some off topic, but if you want see info about development, see you that interesting tool for version control visualization :)

Regards.

El 2 de marzo de 2012 15:12, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> escribió:
Hi guys

I would like to know if there is a package doing some statistics in Pharo.
I should check the work of didier besset but I want to know if there is more.

It would be good to have such kind of package.

Re: Looking for a package to do some statistics in Pharo

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stef,

I think our banned troll is back :(  Beyond that, nothing as important as statistics is off-topic here.  I tend to use R because it does "everything," though its language is almost purely syntax over substance - hardly the OO bliss that its creators seem to believe it is.

Some things (e.g. linear regression, medians, quintiles in general) have filtered into my reach with Pharo.  Attached is some work so far on GSL, targeted at 1.3 and up.  You *might* find what you need in #gsl_stats_* methods, but no promises yet.  I regenerated the whole mess to use underscores, making it *far* easier to match code with the GSL documentation.  Ditto on the structures, which are a big mess right now.  I am trying to isolate "bad" things in packages marked "old" to ease ridding myself of Camel case where it hurts (interfacing).  Camel case is nice in wrappers, and I am using it there.

This will take time to finish, but I hope to release a set of wrappers that are important to me (YMMV) and the generated methods and structs to follow along in wrapping things important to others.  It is big library.

Challenges over time have included the long absence of callbacks, and various levels of underscore support that forced me to Camel case when I should not have done so, but had no choice "back when," and now problems passing void* and bumps in generating struct field accessors in recent FFIs.  Failing those things, this would have been done a while ago, but that's a lot of "ifs."

Bill

gsl-partial.zip (49K) Download Attachment

Re: Looking for a package to do some statistics in Pharo

douglas mcpherson
Indeed, you should check out DHBNumerical. I'm using it for Kalman filter development/simulation, and have previously done Galois field simulation using Bessett's DHBPolynomial. These are many included probability distributions and statistical queries built in, so quite likely has what you need. No underscores needed :)

Doug

On Mar 2, 2012, at 10:12 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> I would like to know if there is a package doing some statistics in Pharo.
> I should check the work of didier besset but I want to know if there is more.
>
> It would be good to have such kind of package.
>

> Stef

Re: Looking for a package to do some statistics in Pharo

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks
I was reviewer for the book of didier.
Now I think that it would be good to revive the project and make it even better.
I started to have a look. I will publish a configuration to start with.

Stef

On Mar 3, 2012, at 9:13 AM, Douglas McPherson wrote:

> Indeed, you should check out DHBNumerical. I'm using it for Kalman filter development/simulation, and have previously done Galois field simulation using Bessett's DHBPolynomial. These are many included probability distributions and statistical queries built in, so quite likely has what you need. No underscores needed :)
>
> Doug
>
> On Mar 2, 2012, at 10:12 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> I would like to know if there is a package doing some statistics in Pharo.
>> I should check the work of didier besset but I want to know if there is more.
>>
>> It would be good to have such kind of package.
>>

>> Stef

Re: Looking for a package to do some statistics in Pharo

abergel
I am interested in this.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Looking for a package to do some statistics in Pharo

Schwab,Wilhelm K
+1.  I just (finally) ordered the book, which should help.  Three things put me off of this:

(1) (perhaps biased) how can Smalltalk code be fast enough?
(2) No examples, poor categorization
(3) The use of histograms in least squares fitting - I'm a parametric guy.

Re the dearth of examples, I created a few (attached) - barely scratching the surface, I know.  I'm really stumped on OptimzationDHB and #points:function:.  The method signature sounds like what I want to do, but I doubt that something as "simple" as

        DhbLeastSquareFit
                points:self sampleDataNegativeExponentialPlusConstant
                function:[ :x :a :alpha :b | a * ( (x / alpha) squared negated exp ) + b  ].

is going to be "understood."  We know that x is the independent variable and a, alpha and b are parameters to be found, but I have no idea how to express that to the code.  Any ideas?

It might be that I need to look at the optimizers, since most of my fits are really about minimizing residuals.  Is Levenberg-Marquardt anywhere in the mix?

Bill

Examples-DHB-Numerical.st (3K) Download Attachment

El 3 de marzo de 2012 03:24, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> escribió:
Stef,

 I think our banned troll is back :(

hehe, no no, I lack the intelligence to be a good troll :)

I misunderstood what Stef said, I understood that he wanted to make statistics about Pharo, more specifically on the development of Pharo.

Anyway, if you're interested, this tool allows you to create funny animations log from a source repository. I made a simple animation with the repository build pharo, with those commands:

$ gource -800x600 pharo-build

and this is the generated video:

Regards.

Re: Looking for a package to do some statistics in Pharo

Igor Stasenko
2012/3/3 Gastón Dall' Oglio <[hidden email]>:

> El 3 de marzo de 2012 03:24, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]>
> escribió:
>
>> Stef,
>>
>>  I think our banned troll is back :(
>

> hehe, no no, I lack the intelligence to be a good troll :)
>
> I misunderstood what Stef said, I understood that he wanted to make
> statistics about Pharo, more specifically on the development of Pharo.
>
> Anyway, if you're interested, this tool allows you to create funny
> animations log from a source repository. I made a simple animation with the
> repository build pharo, with those commands:
>
> $ git clone git://gitorious.org/pharo-build/pharo-build.git
> $ gource -800x600 pharo-build
>
> and this is the generated video:
>
> http://vimeo.com/37856284

Thanks.
It's funny..
btw, Marcus, is it really needed to update fetch script every time?
i beleive this related to gforge, where you placing the base image ..

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Looking for a package to do some statistics in Pharo

Gastón Dall' Oglio
:) yes it's funny. Maybe in this video is not apreciated, but in projects where there are many developers, this presentation of a repository log give a quick view of the dinamic of work.

Regards.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

2012/3/5 Gastón Dall' Oglio <[hidden email]>:
> :) yes it's funny. Maybe in this video is not apreciated, but in projects
> where there are many developers, this presentation of a repository log give
> a quick view of the dinamic of work.

I can say more. It make me feels like i given a birth to something,
which is then started to grow and bloom,
tended and honed by others.
This is very inspiring. My sincere thanks to you.

But besides of sentiments, i don't think that such kind of
presentation is very informative to those who did not participated
directly.
It serves to give an impression, but impression is not knowledge. Less
sentimental people need numbers :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

El 4 de marzo de 2012 22:38, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> escribió:
2012/3/5 Gastón Dall' Oglio <[hidden email]>:
> :) yes it's funny. Maybe in this video is not apreciated, but in projects
> where there are many developers, this presentation of a repository log give
> a quick view of the dinamic of work.

I can say more. It make me feels like i given a birth to something,
which is then started to grow and bloom,
tended and honed by others.
This is very inspiring. My sincere thanks to you.

Thanks to you and the others developers of Pharo for your hard work :)

But besides of sentiments, i don't think that such kind of
presentation is very informative to those who did not participated
directly.

Yes sure.

It serves to give an impression, but impression is not knowledge. Less
sentimental people need numbers :)

yes I agree.

Regards.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Looking for a package to do some statistics in Pharo

Marcus Denker-4

> Thanks.
> It's funny..
> btw, Marcus, is it really needed to update fetch script every time?
> i beleive this related to gforge, where you placing the base image ..

Yes, we wanted to have a snap shot evey 20 upates and at least test part
of the update process by updating that.
(keep in mind that *everything* not tested will break, e.g. updating 1.4000
to the current for sure broke, as it's not tested).

I changed it now, we now just update the last successful build directly from
jenkins. But this means we need to save the artefacts somewhere in case
we break something and have to go back... (but we will have that with the S3
uploader).

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de