Looking for graphing/charting packages for Seaside/VW

Looking for graphing/charting packages for Seaside/VW

Rick Flower
I did some searching of the archives and found the following :

1) Fusioncharts.com (care of Boris) -- Exactly what I'm after but I
can't afford it for my 'hobby' site.
2) Flotr - Looks promising (javascript library) but would require some
smalltalk front-end to do the interfacing
3) Plotkit in Cincom public store -- looks like it's possibly out of
date (last update 9/07) but otherwise promising
4) Seaside's CSS Bar graph -- good if a bar graph is good enough.. I
need more than just a bar graph...
5) Seachart - supports bar charts + plotkit

Ultimately, I'd love something like #1 above but which is free and does
more than just vanilla bar or pie
charts.  I can live with something that can run under Linux or
preferably FreeBSD and perhaps have an
API to use it via VW -- something I suspect #1 is setup like.

So far with that criteria, #5 is closest but may be out of date as well
(the VW version that is -- last update 9/07).  This looks the most
promising but may need more effort to bring it up to the current Squeak
version..

Are there any others I've missed/overlooked?  Thanks!

-- Rick

Re: Looking for graphing/charting packages for Seaside/VW

Ryan Simmons-2
Flotr does have a VisualWorks smalltalk front end. Karsten published
it to the public store at Seaside-Flotr.

And as far as I know Fusioncharts can run off the free version
http://www.fusioncharts.com/free/

What type af charts are you wanting to make?

Ryan Simmons wrote:
> Flotr does have a VisualWorks smalltalk front end. Karsten published
> it to the public store at Seaside-Flotr.
>
> And as far as I know Fusioncharts can run off the free version
> http://www.fusioncharts.com/free/
>
> What type af charts are you wanting to make?

Thanks.. I'm looking for, at a minimum, pie & bar/line charts.  I'll be
looking into others as
time permits and I see what sort of data I can mine out of my archived
data sets..

Boris - Did you check in your fusioncharts front-end that you mentioned
back in 2007?
            Just thought I'd check..

Ryan Simmons wrote:
> Flotr does have a VisualWorks smalltalk front end. Karsten published
> it to the public store at Seaside-Flotr.

Ryan -

I just loaded up the 1.0 version of the above Seaside-Flotr package and
it loaded fine but
none of the examples do anything -- no graphs at all show up in either
Safari or Firefox3..

Is there something missing?  Just thought I'd ask..

-- Rick

Re: Looking for graphing/charting packages for Seaside/VW

Ryan Simmons-2
Have you loaded scriptaculous, I left out the prototype.js file as it
was already served by scriptaculous so it is probably that.

Ryan Simmons wrote:
> Have you loaded scriptaculous, I left out the prototype.js file as it
> was already served by scriptaculous so it is probably that

Actually, I do have that loaded.. I'll look into it further later.. Thx!

Re: Looking for graphing/charting packages for Seaside/VW

Karsten Kusche
Hi Rick,

i actually noticed that Seaside-Flotr needs a newer version of the
prototype library. You may go to the prototype page and grab the latest
version, then it works just nicely.

Kind Regards
Karsten

Rick Flower wrote:
> Ryan Simmons wrote:
>> Have you loaded scriptaculous, I left out the prototype.js file as it
>> was already served by scriptaculous so it is probably that
> Actually, I do have that loaded.. I'll look into it further later.. Thx!

Karsten Kusche - Dipl.Inf. - [hidden email]
Tel: +49 3496 21 43 29
Georg Heeg eK - Köthen
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Dortmund A 12812

Karsten wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
> i actually noticed that Seaside-Flotr needs a newer version of the
> prototype library. You may go to the prototype page and grab the
> latest version, then it works just nicely.
Thanks.. I'll check it out!

Rick Flower wrote:
> Karsten wrote:
>> Hi Rick,
>>
>> i actually noticed that Seaside-Flotr needs a newer version of the
>> prototype library. You may go to the prototype page and grab the
>> latest version, then it works just nicely.
Ok.. Stupid question.. Is there some automated tool I can use to
translate the single/double quotes
in the updated prototype javascript code to something that can to
cut-n-pasted into the existing
#prototypeJs method?  I'm finding that doing it in an editor is
problematic and tedious --
just thought I'd ask.  Thx!

-- Rick

Re: Looking for graphing/charting packages for Seaside/VW

Karsten Kusche
you can use the seaside file library editor to upload the new
prototype.js file. Or you use the VisualWorks inspector on String new,
paste the string there, select accept from the context menu and then
copy you can use "self printString" to have it double-quoted.

Kind Regards
Karsten

Karsten wrote:
> you can use the seaside file library editor to upload the new
> prototype.js file. Or you use the VisualWorks inspector on String new,
> paste the string there, select accept from the context menu and then
> copy you can use "self printString" to have it double-quoted.
Thanks!  Good to know.. I figured there was a better more fool proof way!

Re: Looking for graphing/charting packages for Seaside/VW

Rick Flower
By the way, just for completeness, I've stumbled across the following
extra packages
that people can look into for graphing/charting in conjunction with Seaside:

1) Google Charts - I'm working on a port of the Squeak package to be
used on VW,
             which is actually a part of the SeaChart package -- but not
the VW version
             which is somewhat dated now..

2) OpenFlashCharts which also has a Squeak package available and a demo.

Main OFC page :
__http://teethgrinder.co.uk/open-flash-chart-2/_
Squeak Source:
__http://www.squeaksource.com/OpenFlashChart.html_
Seaside Example:
__http://udos.seasidehosting.st/seaside/examples/ofc__
<http://www.squeaksource.com/OpenFlashChart.html>

Anyway, just passing these along..

Rick Flower wrote:

> By the way, just for completeness, I've stumbled across the following
> extra packages
> that people can look into for graphing/charting in conjunction with
> Seaside:
>
> 1) Google Charts - I'm working on a port of the Squeak package to be
> used on VW,
>             which is actually a part of the SeaChart package -- but
> not the VW version
>             which is somewhat dated now..
I've published the GoogleCharts package out to the public store for
anyone interested.
The bundle name is "SeasideGoogleCharts"..  There's some example code
included
but you may need to register a new application entry point.. I'm not
sure why the example
wouldn't auto-register like others do.. Anyway, not a big deal.. It
works fine otherwise and
you can try the different graphs out.  Feel free to update if you find
any problems specific
to VW.

-- Rick