Looking for information about pharo usage

Looking for information about pharo usage

stephane ducasse
Hi guys

Happy new year! With plenty of seaside projects!
Yes we are working on the book to get a pdf version soon! :)
We got ugly bug with acrobat80 (you do not want to know - ugly ugly - breaking books only when printed).

Now we are doing plenty of other boring stuff (project proposals to get money) and one of them is less boring :)
We are writing a request for funding from our employer (INRIA) to get an engineer working
full time on pharo during two years. We would like to use him to make it (smaller, faster, cleaner and more robust, better tools).
Now we collected some company names as you can see here
        http://www.pharo-project.org/about/success-stories
I would love to get a longer list. :-)

Your company name does not have to get public, our engineer proposal is classified confidential.
Knowing an approximative number of companies using seaside with pharo or **planning to**  or starting to use pharo
would help us convince them.

Side note: as a pharo active member I'm really honored and feel quite responsible about the quality of pharo.
When we did 3.9 with marcus stability and robustness was something we did our best to achieve.

<my interpretation / vision for pharo>
Our goal with pharo is to make sure that we get an **innovative** smalltalk with
which people can make enough money to raise nicely kids and get old! I have (three kids)
and employed by the state so you could think that these are words in air
but I'm **really** sensitive to this point. Software to create  innovation and been relevant.
We may create a company in the future so we are concerned.
<\my interpretation /vision for pharo>

Stef Go Seaside!

------------------------
Dr. Stéphane Ducasse -- Directeur de Recherche (Senior Researcher)
INRIA - USTL - CNRS UMR 8022
[hidden email]
http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr
http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/

 "if you knew today was your last day on earth, what would you
 do different? ...  especially if,  by doing something different,
 today might not be your last day on earth" Calvin&Hobbes

RE: Looking for information about pharo usage

Kai-Uwe Pielka
Hi Stéphane,

I'm going to develop a proxy to SAP's new Business By Design software. I'm doing this based on the pharo seaside image. 1st project is to develop an iPhone web application that creates Orders on SAP's BYD system.

Best Regards,
Kai-Uwe

--------------------

[...]

Cool!
Do you have a company name ?

Stef

On Jan 12, 2010, at 9:55 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi Stéphane,
>
> I'm going to develop a proxy to SAP's new Business By Design software. I'm doing this based on the pharo seaside image. 1st project is to develop an iPhone web application that creates Orders on SAP's BYD system.
>
> Best Regards,
> Kai-Uwe
>
> --------------------
>
> Hi guys
>
> Happy new year! With plenty of seaside projects!
> Yes we are working on the book to get a pdf version soon! :)
> We got ugly bug with acrobat80 (you do not want to know - ugly ugly - breaking
> books only when printed).
>
> Now we are doing plenty of other boring stuff (project proposals to get money)
> and one of them is less boring :)
> We are writing a request for funding from our employer (INRIA) to get an
> engineer working
> full time on pharo during two years. We would like to use him to make it
> (smaller, faster, cleaner and more robust, better tools).
> Now we collected some company names as you can see here
> http://www.pharo-project.org/about/success-stories
> I would love to get a longer list. :-)
>
> Your company name does not have to get public, our engineer proposal is
> classified confidential.
> Knowing an approximative number of companies using seaside with pharo or
> **planning to**  or starting to use pharo
> would help us convince them.
>
> Side note: as a pharo active member I'm really honored and feel quite
> responsible about the quality of pharo.
> When we did 3.9 with marcus stability and robustness was something we did our
> best to achieve.
>
> <my interpretation / vision for pharo>
> Our goal with pharo is to make sure that we get an **innovative** smalltalk
> with
> which people can make enough money to raise nicely kids and get old! I have
> (three kids)
> and employed by the state so you could think that these are words in air
> but I'm **really** sensitive to this point. Software to create  innovation and
> been relevant.
> We may create a company in the future so we are concerned.
> <\my interpretation /vision for pharo>
>
> Stef Go Seaside!
>

> ------------------------
> Dr. Stéphane Ducasse -- Directeur de Recherche (Senior Researcher)
> INRIA - USTL - CNRS UMR 8022
> [hidden email]
> http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr
> http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/
>
> "if you knew today was your last day on earth, what would you
> do different? ...  especially if,  by doing something different,
> today might not be your last day on earth" Calvin&Hobbes

Re: Looking for information about pharo usage

Kai-Uwe Pielka
No. First we'll get the scenario working. Then we'll found a company to sell it to customers :-)

------------------------

Cool!
Do you have a company name ?

Stef

On Jan 12, 2010, at 9:55 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi Stéphane,
>
> I'm going to develop a proxy to SAP's new Business By Design software. I'm
doing this based on the pharo seaside image. 1st project is to develop an
iPhone web application that creates Orders on SAP's BYD system.

> Best Regards,
> Kai-Uwe
>
> --------------------
>
> Hi guys
>
> Happy new year! With plenty of seaside projects!
> Yes we are working on the book to get a pdf version soon! :)
> We got ugly bug with acrobat80 (you do not want to know - ugly ugly -
breaking
> books only when printed).
>
> Now we are doing plenty of other boring stuff (project proposals to get
money)

> and one of them is less boring :)
> We are writing a request for funding from our employer (INRIA) to get an
> engineer working
> full time on pharo during two years. We would like to use him to make it
> (smaller, faster, cleaner and more robust, better tools).
> Now we collected some company names as you can see here
> http://www.pharo-project.org/about/success-stories
> I would love to get a longer list. :-)
>
> Your company name does not have to get public, our engineer proposal is
> classified confidential.
> Knowing an approximative number of companies using seaside with pharo or
> **planning to**  or starting to use pharo
> would help us convince them.
>
> Side note: as a pharo active member I'm really honored and feel quite
> responsible about the quality of pharo.
> When we did 3.9 with marcus stability and robustness was something we did our

> best to achieve.
>
> <my interpretation / vision for pharo>
> Our goal with pharo is to make sure that we get an **innovative** smalltalk
> with
> which people can make enough money to raise nicely kids and get old! I have
> (three kids)
> and employed by the state so you could think that these are words in air
> but I'm **really** sensitive to this point. Software to create  innovation
and

> been relevant.
> We may create a company in the future so we are concerned.
> <\my interpretation /vision for pharo>
>
> Stef Go Seaside!
>

> ------------------------
> Dr. Stéphane Ducasse -- Directeur de Recherche (Senior Researcher)
> INRIA - USTL - CNRS UMR 8022
> [hidden email]
> http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr
> http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/
>
> "if you knew today was your last day on earth, what would you
> do different? ...  especially if,  by doing something different,
> today might not be your last day on earth" Calvin&Hobbes

Re: Looking for information about pharo usage

Nick
Hi Stef,

I'm using Paro and Seaside 3.0 to develop a site within a startup. The site is a market place/brokerage. I'm afraid I can't divulge much more at the moment, including the company name - we're still trying to decide between a couple of different names.

Nick

2010/1/11 stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>
[...]

Good luck and thanks!

Stef

On Jan 13, 2010, at 12:17 AM, Nick Ager wrote:

> Hi Stef,
>
> I'm using Paro and Seaside 3.0 to develop a site within a startup. The site is a market place/brokerage. I'm afraid I can't divulge much more at the moment, including the company name - we're still trying to decide between a couple of different names.
>
> Nick
>
> 2010/1/11 stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>
> Hi guys
>
> Happy new year! With plenty of seaside projects!
> Yes we are working on the book to get a pdf version soon! :)
> We got ugly bug with acrobat80 (you do not want to know - ugly ugly - breaking books only when printed).
>
> Now we are doing plenty of other boring stuff (project proposals to get money) and one of them is less boring :)
> We are writing a request for funding from our employer (INRIA) to get an engineer working
> full time on pharo during two years. We would like to use him to make it (smaller, faster, cleaner and more robust, better tools).
> Now we collected some company names as you can see here
>        http://www.pharo-project.org/about/success-stories
> I would love to get a longer list. :-)
>
> Your company name does not have to get public, our engineer proposal is classified confidential.
> Knowing an approximative number of companies using seaside with pharo or **planning to**  or starting to use pharo
> would help us convince them.
>
> Side note: as a pharo active member I'm really honored and feel quite responsible about the quality of pharo.
> When we did 3.9 with marcus stability and robustness was something we did our best to achieve.
>
> <my interpretation / vision for pharo>
> Our goal with pharo is to make sure that we get an **innovative** smalltalk with
> which people can make enough money to raise nicely kids and get old! I have (three kids)
> and employed by the state so you could think that these are words in air
> but I'm **really** sensitive to this point. Software to create  innovation and been relevant.
> We may create a company in the future so we are concerned.
> <\my interpretation /vision for pharo>
>
> Stef Go Seaside!
>

> ------------------------
> Dr. Stéphane Ducasse -- Directeur de Recherche (Senior Researcher)
> INRIA - USTL - CNRS UMR 8022
> [hidden email]
> http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr
> http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/
>
>  "if you knew today was your last day on earth, what would you
>  do different? ...  especially if,  by doing something different,
>  today might not be your last day on earth" Calvin&Hobbes

Re: Looking for information about pharo usage

Udo Schneider
Hi Stéphane,

I'm currently developing a Pharo/Seaside based WebUI for a network
security appliance. We plan to ship beginning of February - so I'm
afraid I can't show any details earlier :-(

Best Regards,

Udo

stephane ducasse schrieb:

> Hi guys
>
> Happy new year! With plenty of seaside projects!
> Yes we are working on the book to get a pdf version soon! :)
> We got ugly bug with acrobat80 (you do not want to know - ugly ugly - breaking books only when printed).
>
> Now we are doing plenty of other boring stuff (project proposals to get money) and one of them is less boring :)
> We are writing a request for funding from our employer (INRIA) to get an engineer working
> full time on pharo during two years. We would like to use him to make it (smaller, faster, cleaner and more robust, better tools).
> Now we collected some company names as you can see here
> http://www.pharo-project.org/about/success-stories
> I would love to get a longer list. :-)
>
> Your company name does not have to get public, our engineer proposal is classified confidential.
> Knowing an approximative number of companies using seaside with pharo or **planning to**  or starting to use pharo
> would help us convince them.
>
> Side note: as a pharo active member I'm really honored and feel quite responsible about the quality of pharo.
> When we did 3.9 with marcus stability and robustness was something we did our best to achieve.
>
> <my interpretation / vision for pharo>
> Our goal with pharo is to make sure that we get an **innovative** smalltalk with
> which people can make enough money to raise nicely kids and get old! I have (three kids)
> and employed by the state so you could think that these are words in air
> but I'm **really** sensitive to this point. Software to create  innovation and been relevant.
> We may create a company in the future so we are concerned.
> <\my interpretation /vision for pharo>
>
> Stef Go Seaside!
>

> ------------------------
> Dr. Stéphane Ducasse -- Directeur de Recherche (Senior Researcher)
> INRIA - USTL - CNRS UMR 8022
> [hidden email]
> http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr
> http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/
>
>  "if you knew today was your last day on earth, what would you
>  do different? ...  especially if,  by doing something different,
>  today might not be your last day on earth" Calvin&Hobbes

Re: {Spam?} Looking for information about pharo usage

Johan Brichau
Hi Stef,

You know this, but you can also publicly announce it now :-)

Inceptive.be is working on a planning application for Flanders largest cultural centre 'Vooruit' (www.vooruit.be).
The application runs on Seaside 3.0 and Pharo.

Since the biggest chunks of the application have been implemented by now, there will be screenshots and demos on our website by the end of month.

cheers
Johan

On 11 Jan 2010, at 21:09, stephane ducasse wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> Happy new year! With plenty of seaside projects!
> Yes we are working on the book to get a pdf version soon! :)
> We got ugly bug with acrobat80 (you do not want to know - ugly ugly - breaking books only when printed).
>
> Now we are doing plenty of other boring stuff (project proposals to get money) and one of them is less boring :)
> We are writing a request for funding from our employer (INRIA) to get an engineer working
> full time on pharo during two years. We would like to use him to make it (smaller, faster, cleaner and more robust, better tools).
> Now we collected some company names as you can see here
> http://www.pharo-project.org/about/success-stories
> I would love to get a longer list. :-)
>
> Your company name does not have to get public, our engineer proposal is classified confidential.
> Knowing an approximative number of companies using seaside with pharo or **planning to**  or starting to use pharo
> would help us convince them.
>
> Side note: as a pharo active member I'm really honored and feel quite responsible about the quality of pharo.
> When we did 3.9 with marcus stability and robustness was something we did our best to achieve.
>
> <my interpretation / vision for pharo>
> Our goal with pharo is to make sure that we get an **innovative** smalltalk with
> which people can make enough money to raise nicely kids and get old! I have (three kids)
> and employed by the state so you could think that these are words in air
> but I'm **really** sensitive to this point. Software to create  innovation and been relevant.
> We may create a company in the future so we are concerned.
> <\my interpretation /vision for pharo>
>
> Stef Go Seaside!
>

> ------------------------
> Dr. Stéphane Ducasse -- Directeur de Recherche (Senior Researcher)
> INRIA - USTL - CNRS UMR 8022
> [hidden email]
> http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr
> http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/
>
> "if you knew today was your last day on earth, what would you
> do different? ...  especially if,  by doing something different,
> today might not be your last day on earth" Calvin&Hobbes

RE: Looking for information about pharo usage

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
Hi guys, Stef,

about pharo and seaside usage, I guess you can tell we're working on this:

http://airflowing.com

That service is running smoothly in top of pharo images with seaside 3

best,

sebastian
PD: pharo and seaside also powering my blog at http://sebastianconcept.com

Re: RE: Looking for information about pharo usage

garduino
Hola Sebastián:

Muy buenos los links que pasaste, excelente!

Saludos.

2010/1/15  <[hidden email]>:

> Hi guys, Stef,
>
> about pharo and seaside usage, I guess you can tell we're working on this:
>
> http://airflowing.com
>
> That service is running smoothly in top of pharo images with seaside 3
>
> best,
>
> sebastian
> PD: pharo and seaside also powering my blog at http://sebastianconcept.com

Re: Looking for information about pharo usage

Michael J. Forster

Sorry, I cannot yet divulge much detail about the parties involved,
but we used Pharo/Seaside extensively in a system to manage the
inventory, validation, and consumption of tickets at the 2009 Canadian
National Exhibition in Toronto this past August.  Seaside was used for
all web based UIs including the ticket consumption interface hosted on
small industrial servers and presented on hand-held barcode scanners.
Pharo alone was used to write the asynchronous replication between
Postgresql databases also running on those servers.

Currently, I am developing a replacement for a
VAX/Cobol/Datatrieve-based inventory and order management system for a
seed company.  I would like to use Pharo again, but I will need to
write an ncurses-based UI, so GNU Smalltalk might be my only option.
I would be happy to know if anyone has done curses/ncurses work in
Pharo or Squeak.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: Re: Looking for information about pharo usage

Miguel Cobá
El sáb, 16-01-2010 a las 09:07 -0600, Michael Forster escribió:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry, I cannot yet divulge much detail about the parties involved,
> but we used Pharo/Seaside extensively in a system to manage the
> inventory, validation, and consumption of tickets at the 2009 Canadian
> National Exhibition in Toronto this past August.  Seaside was used for
> all web based UIs including the ticket consumption interface hosted on
> small industrial servers and presented on hand-held barcode scanners.
> Pharo alone was used to write the asynchronous replication between
> Postgresql databases also running on those servers.
>
> Currently, I am developing a replacement for a
> VAX/Cobol/Datatrieve-based inventory and order management system for a
> seed company.  I would like to use Pharo again, but I will need to
> write an ncurses-based UI, so GNU Smalltalk might be my only option.
> I would be happy to know if anyone has done curses/ncurses work in
> Pharo or Squeak.

Know nothing about ncurses in Pharo/Squeak but you can also consider the
work in SeasideXUL made by Pavel.

Cheers

> Cheers,
>
> Mike

Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Re: Looking for information about pharo usage

Matthias Berth-2
2010/1/16 Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez <[hidden email]>:

> Know nothing about ncurses in Pharo/Squeak but you can also consider the
> work in SeasideXUL made by Pavel.

Yeah, seaside over lynx, anyone ;-)  ?

> Cheers
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Mike

> Miguel Cobá
> http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: RE: Looking for information about pharo usage

stephane ducasse
cooooooool
;)

Stef

On Jan 15, 2010, at 3:51 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi guys, Stef,
>
> about pharo and seaside usage, I guess you can tell we're working on this:
>
> http://airflowing.com
>
> That service is running smoothly in top of pharo images with seaside 3
>
> best,
>
> sebastian
> PD: pharo and seaside also powering my blog at http://sebastianconcept.com

Re: {Spam?} Looking for information about pharo usage

stephane ducasse
Neat!
And may be we could have an ESUG presentation :)

Stef

On Jan 14, 2010, at 10:36 AM, Johan Brichau wrote:

> Hi Stef,
>
> You know this, but you can also publicly announce it now :-)
>
> Inceptive.be is working on a planning application for Flanders largest cultural centre 'Vooruit' (www.vooruit.be).
> The application runs on Seaside 3.0 and Pharo.
>
> Since the biggest chunks of the application have been implemented by now, there will be screenshots and demos on our website by the end of month.
>
> cheers
> Johan
>
> On 11 Jan 2010, at 21:09, stephane ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> Happy new year! With plenty of seaside projects!
>> Yes we are working on the book to get a pdf version soon! :)
>> We got ugly bug with acrobat80 (you do not want to know - ugly ugly - breaking books only when printed).
>>
>> Now we are doing plenty of other boring stuff (project proposals to get money) and one of them is less boring :)
>> We are writing a request for funding from our employer (INRIA) to get an engineer working
>> full time on pharo during two years. We would like to use him to make it (smaller, faster, cleaner and more robust, better tools).
>> Now we collected some company names as you can see here
>> http://www.pharo-project.org/about/success-stories
>> I would love to get a longer list. :-)
>>
>> Your company name does not have to get public, our engineer proposal is classified confidential.
>> Knowing an approximative number of companies using seaside with pharo or **planning to**  or starting to use pharo
>> would help us convince them.
>>
>> Side note: as a pharo active member I'm really honored and feel quite responsible about the quality of pharo.
>> When we did 3.9 with marcus stability and robustness was something we did our best to achieve.
>>
>> <my interpretation / vision for pharo>
>> Our goal with pharo is to make sure that we get an **innovative** smalltalk with
>> which people can make enough money to raise nicely kids and get old! I have (three kids)
>> and employed by the state so you could think that these are words in air
>> but I'm **really** sensitive to this point. Software to create  innovation and been relevant.
>> We may create a company in the future so we are concerned.
>> <\my interpretation /vision for pharo>
>>
>> Stef Go Seaside!
>>

>> ------------------------
>> Dr. Stéphane Ducasse -- Directeur de Recherche (Senior Researcher)
>> INRIA - USTL - CNRS UMR 8022
>> [hidden email]
>> http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr
>> http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/
>>
>> "if you knew today was your last day on earth, what would you
>> do different? ...  especially if,  by doing something different,
>> today might not be your last day on earth" Calvin&Hobbes

ncurses (was: Re: Looking for information about pharo usage)

David T. Lewis
On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 10:58:33PM +0100, Matthias Berth wrote:
> 2010/1/16 Miguel Enrique Cob? Martinez <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Know nothing about ncurses in Pharo/Squeak but you can also consider the
> > work in SeasideXUL made by Pavel.
>
> Yeah, seaside over lynx, anyone ;-)  ?

Well, why not? If you needed a text mode interface, this would be a
good way to do it.

Dave

Re: ncurses (was: Re: Looking for information about pharo usage)

Michael J. Forster
On 2010-01-17, at 9:52, "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 10:58:33PM +0100, Matthias Berth wrote:
>> 2010/1/16 Miguel Enrique Cob? Martinez <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> Know nothing about ncurses in Pharo/Squeak but you can also
>>> consider the
>>> work in SeasideXUL made by Pavel.
>>
>> Yeah, seaside over lynx, anyone ;-)  ?
>
> Well, why not? If you needed a text mode interface, this would be a
> good way to do it.
>
> Dave

It's the keystroke binding and field input control that we require.
ncurses allows us to reproduce the vax terminal ui almost completely,
something we cannot do with javascript.

Thanks,

Mike

Re: Re: Looking for information about pharo usage

stephane ducasse

> Sorry, I cannot yet divulge much detail about the parties involved,
> but we used Pharo/Seaside extensively in a system to manage the
> inventory, validation, and consumption of tickets at the 2009 Canadian
> National Exhibition in Toronto this past August.  Seaside was used for
> all web based UIs including the ticket consumption interface hosted on
> small industrial servers and presented on hand-held barcode scanners.
> Pharo alone was used to write the asynchronous replication between
> Postgresql databases also running on those servers.
>
> Currently, I am developing a replacement for a
> VAX/Cobol/Datatrieve-based inventory and order management system for a
> seed company.  I would like to use Pharo again, but I will need to
> write an ncurses-based UI, so GNU Smalltalk might be my only option.
> I would be happy to know if anyone has done curses/ncurses work in
> Pharo or Squeak.

I would love that :)