Looking for libgcilnk.dll and libgcirpc.dll

Looking for libgcilnk.dll and libgcirpc.dll

Georg Heeg

Currently I am in the process of porting an old VisualWorks/GemStone application to VisualWorks 7.9.1 on Windows.

I installed GemStone server and client from the VisualWorks 7.9.1 CD. When I try to login I get the error message.

GBS C interface failed to initialize.

Make sure at least one of the file(s) libgcilnk.dll libgcirpc.dll  exists and is accessible.

The error message was: Could not load library.

I looked in many places, and I found the Linux versions, but not the Windows versions.

Does anybody (including vmware people) have any idea?

Georg Heeg

Georg Heeg eK, Dortmund und Köthen, HR Dortmund A 12812

Wallstraße 22, 06366 Köthen

Tel. +49-3496-214328, Fax +49-3496-214712

Re: Looking for libgcilnk.dll and libgcirpc.dll

davidbuck
The VMWare people may give you a better answer but here's what I've found.

I have those DLL's here in an archive for GemBuilderC2.4.4.5-x86.Windows_NT.zip to connect to GemStone 64 2.4.4.5 which I was using at the time.

I also recall that in the GemStone Settings window for VisualWorks (Launcher menu GemStone/Tools/Settings item GemStone/Server Communication) you can change the library to gcirwXX.dll.  I seem to recall that this was necessary to connect to 32 bit GemStone servers which you're clearly running since the server is on Windows.

Good luck.
David Buck

Georg Heeg wrote:

Currently I am in the process of porting an old VisualWorks/GemStone application to VisualWorks 7.9.1 on Windows.

I installed GemStone server and client from the VisualWorks 7.9.1 CD. When I try to login I get the error message.

GBS C interface failed to initialize.

Make sure at least one of the file(s) libgcilnk.dll libgcirpc.dll  exists and is accessible.

The error message was: Could not load library.

I looked in many places, and I found the Linux versions, but not the Windows versions.

Does anybody (including vmware people) have any idea?

Georg Heeg

Georg Heeg eK, Dortmund und Köthen, HR Dortmund A 12812

Wallstraße 22, 06366 Köthen

Tel. +49-3496-214328, Fax +49-3496-214712

No virus found in this message.

Re: Looking for libgcilnk.dll and libgcirpc.dll

Martin McClure-3
On 01/20/2013 11:52 PM, Georg Heeg wrote:

> Currently I am in the process of porting an old VisualWorks/GemStone
> application to VisualWorks 7.9.1 on Windows.
>

> I installed GemStone server and client from the VisualWorks 7.9.1 CD.
> When I try to login I get the error message.
>

> GBS C interface failed to initialize.
>
> Make sure at least one of the file(s) libgcilnk.dll libgcirpc.dll
> exists and is accessible.
>
> The error message was: Could not load library.
>

> I looked in many places, and I found the Linux versions, but not the
> Windows versions.

Hi Georg,

The client library files are in the bin directory of the Windows
GemStone server install.

The files you want are either gcilw66.dll (linked) or gcirw66.dll (RPC).
Either of these will load gsw66.dll, so that file also needs to be in a
place where it can be found.

Please let us know if you have any further problems getting set up.

Regards,

-Martin

Re: Looking for libgcilnk.dll and libgcirpc.dll

Georg Heeg
Martin,

Thank you for your help. Meanwhile I was able to connect the VisualWorks 7.9
port to the same GemStone instance as the old VisualWorks 2.5.2. As the
server is GemStone/S 6.1.5, client library 6.6 did not work, but I found
6.1.4 libraries work like charm.

In the process I also had to port the connection definitions from the old
image to the new one. I used a special store string I implemented in the old
version and special writer methods in the new environment. Just for
curiosity: is there any more convenient way?

Talk to you tomorrow

Georg

On 01/22/2013 12:08 PM, Georg Heeg wrote:
> Martin,
>
> Thank you for your help. Meanwhile I was able to connect the VisualWorks 7.9
> port to the same GemStone instance as the old VisualWorks 2.5.2. As the
> server is GemStone/S 6.1.5, client library 6.6 did not work, but I found
> 6.1.4 libraries work like charm.

Glad you got it working.

> In the process I also had to port the connection definitions from the old
> image to the new one. I used a special store string I implemented in the old
> version and special writer methods in the new environment. Just for
> curiosity: is there any more convenient way?

By "connection definitions" are you referring to session parameters or
connectors?

The session browser allows you to export and import session parameters,
but there is no equivalent functionality for connectors. The customer
production applications that I've seen build the connector list
programmatically using the public connector creation API rather than
using the connector browser.

Regards,

-Martin